60csx Waas Fixed By Latest Webupdater(!)

So, I went Geocaching. I looked a for three caches. Even though I had so many full bars and WAAS disabled, the accuracy from the compass was the same. I recalibrated the compass and yielded the same results. I am not sure about any enhanced accuracy. Before the update, the compass always got me within 6-10 ft before it goes haywire. I still have the same results. Maybe Garmin just gave us "full bars" to make us happy? :wub:

Re-calibrating the compass only re-calibrates the magnetic north sensor. It has nothing to do with GPS positioning.

GeoBC

Ok, maybe I need to clarify what I meant. When using the compass while finding a geocache, there is an arrow that points towards the cache. Also included is how many feet until arrival. All of that is based on GPS coordinates and magnetic north.

Are you including the fact that your EPE may be +-so many feet or meters? You can only get consumer, not MIL grade accuracy. My EPE is seldom less than +-10 meters or over 30 feet. To me this means that although the GPSr says the cache is 2 meters away, it may actually be a lot more. :wub:

This morning on the way to work, I put my 60csx, and my Legend up on the dash to do a comparison test.

The 60 help alot better signal, and was almost always 10 ft. closer for the accuracy.

I noticed 1 thing that I found odd though,

The 60csx was locked to Waas # 51, with D's all the way across, and the Legend was locked on waas 35 with the D's.

I always thought that 35 was the closest one to Illinois. Why would the 60 not pick it up? I have never gotten a lock on 35 with the 60csx, but 35 is all my legend will even see.

Can anyone explain why it is doing this?

I always thought that 35 was the closest one to Illinois. Why would the 60 not pick it up? I have never gotten a lock on 35 with the 60csx, but 35 is all my legend will even see.

SV 35 has moved off the west coast. From your (rough) location in IL, it will be at azimuth 244° and 18° above your horizon, kinda low in the sky. SV 51, which is currently in test mode, for you is at azimuth 207° and 38°above your horizon, and SV 48, which also is in test mode, is at azimuth 236° and 24° above your horizon. So 51 is the strongest WAAS bird for you. Wait till Fall when DOD has the bugs worked out and sending good data.

It makes sense your CSx would lock on 51. Mine does as well in Albany, NY. My Legend will try to lock on 35 but is wicked low for me at about 7°, and it will search for others and has locked on 51 once. I don't take my trusty Legend out much anymore.

SV 35 has moved off the west coast. From your (rough) location in IL, it will be at azimuth 244° and 18° above your horizon, kinda low in the sky. SV 51, which is currently in test mode, for you is at azimuth 207° and 38°above your horizon, and SV 48, which also is in test mode, is at azimuth 236° and 24° above your horizon. So 51 is the strongest WAAS bird for you. Wait till Fall when DOD has the bugs worked out and sending good data.

It makes sense your CSx would lock on 51. Mine does as well in Albany, NY. My Legend will try to lock on 35 but is wicked low for me at about 7°, and it will search for others and has locked on 51 once. I don't take my trusty Legend out much anymore.

After updating my 60cx to the 2.90/2.60 software I normally get waas from 51 first. if I can get the unit to drop 51 it usually starts trying for 48 next. I can also lock on to 48 but if the unit drops that 35 is what it tries for next ( I can also get lock on that). I'm sure this all depends on location.

After updating my 60cx to the 2.90/2.60 software I normally get waas from 51 first. if I can get the unit to drop 51 it usually starts trying for 48 next. I can also lock on to 48 but if the unit drops that 35 is what it tries for next ( I can also get lock on that). I'm sure this all depends on location.

That's what mine does from north of Detroit also. It will still pick up & use 33, but it seems like the 'last resort', and will reacquire 51,48, or 35 when it can.

Is the 2.90 update what you have to download to get Waas? I'm a little confused as some people are mentioning 2.60, and older version. Thanks.

I was confused too. I thought that when I had updated to SW 2.90 that I was at the latest/greatest, since I used WebUpdater to get current. After seeing a screen-shot in another thread I decided to check my versions (menu - menu - setup - system - menu and then choose Software Version) I discovered that My GPS SW version was at 2.40. Trust me when I say that updating to 2.60 will vastly improve the WAAS functionality.

I re-ran WebUpdater and after it told me that my "Software" was up-to-date it asked if I wanted to check for other updates. I did, and am thrilled that I did. Instead of barely getting signals from 35 and 47, I am getting great signals from either 48 or 51.

Is the 2.90 update what you have to download to get Waas? I'm a little confused as some people are mentioning 2.60, and older version. Thanks.

2.90 is the software update. 2.60 is the firmware update. 2.60 is a fix for waas and the tunnel problem. BUT that is not how you get WAAS. To get WAAS go to your system setup in the menu and enable WAAS. Then you must find a clear sky veiw and allow your unit to gather the WAAS almanac. The first time you do it, it may take around 15 minutes. When you start seeing D's on the Sat bars you will know you have it ready to go.

2.90 is the software update. 2.60 is the firmware update. 2.60 is a fix for waas and the tunnel problem. BUT that is not how you get WAAS. To get WAAS go to your system setup in the menu and enable WAAS. Then you must find a clear sky veiw and allow your unit to gather the WAAS almanac. The first time you do it, it may take around 15 minutes. When you start seeing D's on the Sat bars you will know you have it ready to go.

After the initial gathering with clear sky, you'll be able to sit in your house and get a WAAS lock :unsure:

I have had the 60CSx for about a week and a half and have yet to see any "D" in the signal strength bar or any sats higher than #29. I have upgraded the firmware/software, enabled WAAS in setup, and restarted outside in a clearing. Still no such luck. My EPE varies substantially in current stated condition: An average from 45-100 ft, where on occasion and briefly it will state +-10ft.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or insight, especially considering this is my first GPSr.

Now, I have noticed substantial variation with the barometric altimeter. Does it use the GPS altitude to automatically calibrate the pressure for the elevation?

I have had the 60CSx for about a week and a half and have yet to see any "D" in the signal strength bar or any sats higher than #29. I have upgraded the firmware/software, enabled WAAS in setup, and restarted outside in a clearing. Still no such luck. My EPE varies substantially in current stated condition: An average from 45-100 ft, where on occasion and briefly it will state +-10ft.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or insight, especially considering this is my first GPSr.

Now, I have noticed substantial variation with the barometric altimeter. Does it use the GPS altitude to automatically calibrate the pressure for the elevation?

When you check the versions with:

menu - menu - setup - system - menu (and then choose Software Version)

Do you see something like this?

<stolen photo from other forum post>

softwareversion5od.png

There are two things to update in firmware. The software version and the "gps sw version" One is garmins part and the other is from the sirfIII manufacturer but garmin supplies it to you. run webupdater at least twice and it will find it and do it for you.

I have not had any serious bugs. The bottom line is that the x series will give you and keep a postion fix when all others leave you without a signal. Go into the woods and that makes a huge difference. In my book, yes it's worth it. So far I'm happy with my 60cx. I don't want or need the electronic compass or the barometeric altimeter.

Edited by EraSeek

I love mine, they have fixed all the major bugs. Some folks on here have still been dissatified and returned their unit. I'm not sure why because I dont see where it can get much better than this 60csx (at least mine). I have owned a lowrance airmap100 and a garmin gpsV and now the 60csx. It seems like I keep finding new features on this thing (like proximity detection of waypoints). I love the elevation plots (by time or distance) and are very accurate in the short term. Long term requires recalibration as does the compass. I suppose I would find this an annoyance if other units I had did not need recalibration for those functions (and maybe they dont but I've never had compass or altimeter before). Chime in any time magellan or lowrance owners.

I love my autorouting and pretty much garmin is the only good solution for that if you want your gps to do multiduty. If I didnt' want/need autorouting then I likely would have purchased lowrance.

These are very expensive after you get maps and power cords and RAM mounts and such so if cost is a major issue then you might wish to consider lowrance or magellan.

I'm new to Geocaching, so new that I haven't bought a GPS. I've been considering the 60CSX but have read a lot of bad things about it. What's the real scoop? Is it worth the bucks? Have the fixed all the problems I've read about it?

Edited by kb9nvh

Pdx, yes that is how it appears. I have fixed it. Via webupdater I re-installed the firmware/software. In addition I turned off Battery Saver. I have not yet figured out what exactly the battery saver mode does, but I believe it was my problem. For the first time I found Sat51 and had "D's" all the way across, except 51. Thank you.

Now I'll have to go on a journey and test it! :laughing:

Just got 48 instead!

When you check the versions with:

menu - menu - setup - system - menu (and then choose Software Version)

Do you see something like this?

<stolen photo from other forum post>

softwareversion5od.png