What Pda Do You Use?

Hi ALL!

I am new to the geocache area, but ready to get started. My equipment is:

HP ZV6200 notebook, BT, WIFI and Cellular broadband for remote connections in the field.

S&T 2005,

Delorme SA2006 (notebook)

Delorme SA2006HH for IPAQ

IPAQ HX2495 w/ WM5, BT & WIFI, SD & CF cards - 4 gig storage for maps

(lots of books, music & podcast files for listening & reading)

BT Earthmate GPS for PDA

USB Earthmate GPS for laptop

I am looking for the rest of the software I need for geocaching.

I will be able to use this PDA for finding cache's, won't I, instead of buying a handheld Garmin/Magellan?

And why are most people using palm units for their PPC? What is the reason for this? :D

I would like to see just what others are using and why. It has been an exhausting search trying to figure out what I should get.

What PDA, with what system, PC or MAC and would you recommend it.

Using my Treo 700W, exporting HTML from GSAK. Great solution for me!

~CMT

IPAQ HX2495 w/ WM5, BT & WIFI, SD & CF cards - 4 gig storage for maps

(lots of books, music & podcast files for listening & reading)

BT Earthmate GPS for PDA

I am looking for the rest of the software I need for geocaching.

I will be able to use this PDA for finding cache's, won't I, instead of buying a handheld Garmin/Magellan?

Yes. You are well stocked.

You may want to try BackCountry Navigator for the PDA. There is a beta program for version 2.

I would like to see just what others are using and why. It has been an exhausting search trying to figure out what I should get.

What PDA, with what system, PC or MAC and would you recommend it.

Windows home xp>GPSr>PDA PalmIIIxe (with USB/serial adapter cable)>cachemate>GSAK>geocaching.com (premium membership)>Google Earth>Pocket querys (PQs)...it just doesn't get any better then this setup. 100% paperless and it is fun and interesting. GSK forum and Groundspeak forums will give all the help you need or desire :grin::)

Use 2 at varying times....

Primary is a HP iPAQ 6515 which is a cell enabled PDA with a Data Connection (think Blackberry)

so I can logon to the site if I forgot any notes/hint. Use TomTom Navigator for autorouting and custom POIs for GeoCaches in TT. Also use BeeLine GPS for more detailed cache hunting at times.

Secondary is a Dell Axim X50 with Dell BT GPS. Use Navteq software for auto-routing to cache locations and once again BeeLine GPS for detailed expeditions in the field. Also use GPS Tuner, VitoNavigator on this one. Never really liked GPS Dash too much.

Use GSAK for both and make use of PPC Acrobat Reader to view custom made (shhhhh) PDFs of the cache pages. The 6515 has a smaller screen which is a hinderance. BeeLine is great but can be a pain when zooming in/out moving grid map. GPS Sentry is a today screen plugin that shows gps data on the today screen.

I don't have it but think it would be cool.

When I'm really bored, I can use BT enabled laptop and app like Street Atlas to get real-time big view while riding in car.

matt

Edited by jeeperCreeper

My rig? A Toshiba e-830 with a USGlobalSat BC-337 CF GPS Receiver. GSAK uploads coordinates to Pocket Streets,Coordinates & cache data (gpx or loc) to GPSDASH2 & Beeline GPS(Beeline is my preferred Geocaching software). I use my setup on the road, in the jeep and in the woods all the time but I bought an Otterbox 3600 case and use it religiously. My first night out with it, I (275 #'s) fell fully on top of it after slipping on a patch of ice. I came out bruised, the PDA didn't even turn off, the case wasn't scratched but my stainless steel thermos looked like a crushed pop can. If you use your PDA on the trail I'd suggest you invest in one of these cases, they are absolutely bullet proof!

I use a Blackberry 7290 to browse www.geocaching.com amd get coordinates when out in new areas. I use a Garmin Gecko to point the way. I also use Google Mobile Maps on the Blackberry if I need to zoom a map as they display nicely and accept coordinates. The Blackberry web browser is fine for reading the cache info on Geocaching, but the map pages get jumbled up and are not easy to zoom.

This method is paperless, but not automated. I tried Spot for the Blackberry with an Earthmate bluetooth GPS and it worked okay but it does not allow saving gpx/loc directly from Geocaching. You must upload the file to a hosting site and then download, which is too many steps and doesn't work with improptu caching when out driving. The other way is to type the coordinates in after reading on the web page but that requires writing them down first as my memory isn't that good, so it is easier to just type them in the Gecko while seeing them on the Blackberry.

I have Delorme Streets and Topo maps on my laptop and I use the GPS antenna with it sometimes as well as a long range Wifi adaptor. This works well for finding sites when I am parked somewhere and for getting close. I use the Blackberry because I have it from work. I think my choice if I had to buy something would be to get a Pocket PC as I like the idea of Wifi and a built in GPS in a compact unit for using when out walking.

Edited by michael3900