Geocaching And Fishing

CYBret

I started to write this as a response in the "NO Cheating Game" thread, but as it evolved I started to wonder about it more and more. Maybe you've got some perspective on this topic too. Maybe your comparison is different from mine.

Prior to geocaching, I used to fish a lot. I mean a LOT. Fishing is what kept me sane. When life and work got too oppressive I'd head out to the pond and fish until things fell back into perspective. Geocaching occupies that spot in my life now.

When I fished I kept a journal of my fishing trips. I would record what I caught. 5 bass, 10 bluegill, 3 crappie. I'd record which pond/lake I was at, what the weather was like, all that. I set goals for myself to catch a certain number in a month/season/year. It's what made the sport interesting for me.

In my head, my cache logs aren't much different. Sure they're shared online, but if a service like this had been available when I was fishing, you can bet those would have been recorded online too!

As with any sport, in fishing there is a decent amount of good-natured ribbing. I remember fishing with a few newbies in a pond that I knew very well. They would sit there all day, drowning worms. I'd show up and hit that "sweet spot" where I knew I'd catch something and say, "Is this what you were looking for?" Yeah, it'd really burn them. But that's part of the game. :cry: I took it as well as I gave it.

I never lied about what fish I caught, never inflated my numbers (no really, I didn't) and never viewed it as anything more than a great way to spend the day either by myself or with a few friends. If I wanted to work hard at it, I loaded up the heavy stuff and hit the big water (like those 5/5 caches). If I just wanted to get away and blow some time, I'd go ultralight and catch about 2 dozen baby bluegill out of an overstocked pond (kinda like a micro cache machine run). It was all fishing and I loved it.

At the end of the day, I had gotten away from home, away from my worries, gained some much needed perspective. If I didn't catch anything, that was ok, but it was great when I had fish to eat. If I was with someone else, we cleaned each other's fish, fried each other's fish and ate each other's fish. No one came home mad.

I guess my question is, what do fishermen have in their perspective that we don't have? Where are the points of comparison?

Maybe we ought to all just go fishing together. :cry:

Bret

Being both a fisherman and a cache hunter, I take them both as a leisure diversion from stress and the everyday happings of my life.

Some people like myself consider both of these to be non competive. But others see geo caching as, I can out do you, competive hobby/sport/adventure/game.

my 10cents worth

I've fished since I can remember. As a teen I'd spend entire days out on the water chasing bass and when I entered my 20's I started flyfishing for trout. I got away from fishing for a few years, but I've actually been fishing a lot more recently. I think I've been fishing more than I've been geocaching the past two months.

As with geocaching, I don't mind if I come up empty, as its the experience and getting outdoors that I enjoy. Heck, last weekend I sat there watched a huge bass ignore everything I threw at it. Spinners, plastic worm, Rapala, buzz bait and even a live minnow. I could see it clearly approach the bait, then turn away. Later, I had a pickerel on that cut my line just as I was about to net it (and took off with a $5 Rapala :cry: ). When heading back to the dock another fisherman asked me how I did and I said I caught nothing - because I caught nothing. I did tell him about the reluctant bass so he could give it a shot.

If there was a Geocaching.com-like website for fishing where your catch totals were counted, when I got home I'd log a "did not catch" for the day. But if such a website existed, I'm sure some people would log that pickerel and that reluctant bass as "catches". And some of the other members of that site would call those people cheaters. And some would defend their cheating. "Who are they hurting?" and "They are only cheating theirselves" and "Their cheating is harmless" they they will say. And others would say, "Well if their fake catches made me think their lake was a fishing hotspot and I waste my time going there, then it's not harmless"

Then some fisherman will catch a fish and when another fisherman passes in a boat he'll hold it up and say "hey, you wanna count this as a catch?" And some fisherman will take him up on it. And others will will defend that because it was a good way to meet other fishermen on the lake and isn't that what this is all about? Then some fishermen will start bringing their catches to parties, so other fishermen can count them as a catch too.

And the old timers will shake thier heads in amazment and disgust and wonder what the sport of fishing has come to. "I'ts not about fishing anymore" they will say. And the newer fishermen will dismiss the old timers as "puritans" and "fish cops".

Edited by briansnat

I've fished since I can remember. As a teen I'd spend entire days out on the water chasing bass and when I entered my 20's I started flyfishing for trout. I got away from fishing for a few years, but I've actually been fishing a lot more recently. I think I've been fishing more than I've been geocaching the past two months.

As with geocaching, I don't mind if I come up empty, as its the experience and getting outdoors that I enjoy. Heck, last weekend I sat there watched a huge bass ignore everything I threw at it. Spinners, plastic worm, Rapala, buzz bait and even a live minnow. I could see it clearly approach the bait, then turn away. Later, I had a pickerel on that cut my line just as I was about to net it (and took off with a $5 Rapala :cry: ). When heading back to the dock another fisherman asked me how I did and I said I caught nothing - because I caught nothing. I did tell him about the reluctant bass.

If there was a Geocaching.com-like website for fishing where your catch totals were counted, when I got home I'd log a "did not catch" for the day. But if such a website existed, I'm sure some people would log that pickerel and that reluctant bass as "catches". And some of the other members of that site would call those people cheaters. And some would defend their cheating. "Who are they hurting?" and "They are only cheating theirselves" and "Their cheating is harmless" they they will say. And others would say, "Well if their fake catches made me think their lake was a fishing hotspot and I waste my time going there, then it's not harmless"

Then some fisherman will catch a fish and when another fisherman passes in a boat he'll hold it up and say "hey, you wanna count this as a catch?" And some fisherman will take him up on it. And others will will defend that because it was a good way to meet other fishermen on the lake and isn't that what this is all about? Then some fishermen will start bringing their catches to parties, so other fisherman can coun them as a catch too.

And the old timers will shake thier heads in amazment and disgust and wonder what the sport of fishing has come to. And the newer fishermen will dismiss the old timers as "puritans"... and....

That works. I can't say that logging fishing has any more appeal to me than logging benchmarks or waymarks. At least with fishing lying is part of the hobby. "Yeah it was big, pulled me under and dragged me a mile downstream before he finaly snapped my 4lb test line. By the time I got back to camp all I had to show for it was this guppy I found in my pocket."

As with geocaching, I don't mind if I come up empty, as its the experience and getting outdoors that I enjoy. Heck, last weekend I sat there watched a huge bass ignore everything I threw at it. Spinners, plastic worm, Rapala, buzz bait and even a live minnow. I could see it clearly approach the bait, then turn away. Later, I had a pickerel on that cut my line just as I was about to net it (and took off with a $5 Rapala :cry: ). When heading back to the dock another fisherman asked me how I did and I said I caught nothing - because I caught nothing. I did tell him about the reluctant bass so he could give it a shot.

Then some fisherman will catch a fish and when another fisherman passes in a boat he'll hold it up and say "hey, you wanna count this as a catch?" And some fisherman will take him up on it. And others will will defend that because it was a good way to meet other fishermen on the lake and isn't that what this is all about? Then some fishermen will start bringing their catches to parties, so other fisherman can count them as a catch too.

And the old timers will shake thier heads in amazment and disgust and wonder what the sport of fishing has come to. Its not about fishing anymore they will say. And the newer fishermen will dismiss the old timers as "puritans" and "fish cops".

Right on, briansnat! notworthy.gif

Edit to add appropriate quote.

Edited by Miragee

i combine my fly fishing and geocaching hobbies into one. before i used to geocache i was like you, fished everyday, somedays i would go on the bluegill run and on a good day could cacth 50 in a couple hours. but then my true love, trout fishing in moving water, that was seriously what kept me sane as well. but now i seek out fishing caches, where i can cache and fish, it brings me to new spots and thats what i really enjoy. geocahing has shown me a ton of new fishing spots and that is probably the real reason why i cache, it supports my love for fishing :cry:

and as for the days that i came home empty handed, it just made me go back the next day to the same spot to prove to myself i havent "lost it". i hate when i come up empty handed in geocaching it bothers me, but it never bothered me not catching fish, i would just try harder next time. the only time a dnf doesn't bothers me in caching is when i am at a really cool area that i don't mind comming back to. thats what it was about fishing, i didnt mind comming home with nothing because that just gave me a better reason to go back and enjoy the creek or riverside where i was.

I've learned that I need to keep my fly rod in my jeep, because there are a lot of great caches near the streams and rivers around here.

very good tip, i also learned that after my first couple caches, i keep a 4 weight rod and an 8 weight along with my waders and vest in the bed of my truck and it comes in handy just about everytime. there is over 4,000 bodies of water in a 100 mile radius in the area i live so you can fish just about anywhere anytime.

Edited by ADK 46-R

Well I am not a fisherman , I have however been fishing a few times.

I also know fishermen .... they all have grand stories of the one that got away ...and the ones that didn't.

Why just this evening wilst at Walmart my friend wanted to get her fishing license renewed. So we stopped in the sporting goods section and did just that.

Wherein the guy selling us the fishing license told us this story of how one man came in and said his 8 year old son caught an 8 lb bass using a scooby doo fishing pole that had only 5 lb test line on it.

It was a great story .

We didn't meet the child or the childs father . We did not see the fish. All we got was the great story .

And I am also sure that the father and his son had a very very fun time that day .

At least as long as no one tries to tell them they were liers or cheaters ....... I also am willing to bet that no one would ...

Star

It was a great story .

We didn't meet the child or the childs father . We did not see the fish. All we got was the great story .

And I am also sure that the father and his son had a very very fun time that day .

At least as long as no one tries to tell them they were liers or cheaters ....... I also am willing to bet that no one would ...

Star

Tall tales are fun aren't they?

Yeah.

I try to teach my kids to be honest and to know the difference between a good story, a good lie and compromising their integrity. (of course I don't actually use the words compromising integrity :ph34r: )

Well I am not a fisherman , I have however been fishing a few times.

I also know fishermen .... they all have grand stories of the one that got away ...and the ones that didn't.

Why just this evening wilst at Walmart my friend wanted to get her fishing license renewed. So we stopped in the sporting goods section and did just that.

Wherein the guy selling us the fishing license told us this story of how one man came in and said his 8 year old son caught an 8 lb bass using a scooby doo fishing pole that had only 5 lb test line on it.

It was a great story .

Star

Well said! I dont go fishing to compare my catches with anyone elses- but fishing isnt always just about the catch. Its about the whole experience. My life is a history of fishing memories, including catching a 5lb Largemouth bass in April of 1974 on my own little Zebco. When I ran in and showed it to my Dad, he told me 2 things:1) Great catch! 2) But, Its not fishing season yet, much less bass season so we better get him back in the water really fast. We had to put it back, and he didnt have a camera with us.

(he explained I cant go grabbing my stuff and fishing without him knowing too...)

Did I catch that Bass? Yes. Can I Proove it to someone who questions it?No. Me and my Dad, who is no longer with me know I Did, and that - alone - is good enough for me.

Now, Heres one for the masses:

If I get a lunker on, and get it on the dock, take a picture and release it its a catch, obviously.

But what if I get my lunker up to the dock, and in the net. Hoist him out, but above the dock heading for shore he falls thru the bottom of the crappy net. He lands on the dock with the hook still in him. Starts floppying wildly, stabs me in the finger with its fin as I reach for him -causing me to stumble left, which gets me and the fish (still on the hook), and the net tangled in a dogs leash(with dog attached) tied to a nearby pole.(NOT my dog)

Spin a circle to grab the dog, combine 2 more rods with the situation. Spin back around and kick the fish in the water. Ooops! This was an 8-10 lb Northern Pike, on 20lb test, with 50lb leader & large trebble hook, hooked perfect in the lip/jax with all 3.

He was Gone in a hurry. So was the mess that was on the dock........My rod. . . . AND 2 the other rods now tangled. . . . AND the crappy busted net.......Oh, AND the dog.

I got the dog, and 2 of 3 rods (but not the $Baits on them) & nearly pneumonia.......

3 Guys 1/2 awake at 530am. Cold rainy windy & 45 degrees......and IM in the water saving Hootsie.....

Did I catch that fish? Well, I didnt win the prize for biggest fish that opening weekend(which required measuring & weighing) But - the guys in my group all agreed (even the ones that didnt witness this) that I had the best fishing experience that Ill never forget, None of us 3 will ever forget, and most of the people who have heard the story pass it along as a pretty good fishing story. This was the short version, it was actually far more detailed....and :P

As far as did I catch it? Well, who defines that anyway? Me. I was fishing.

*For the Big Fish trophy, NO-as defined by the rulesset by us 5(On paper) defined before any lines hit the water.

Hmmm. Did I catch it? I hooked him,I Netted him (alone) had him in the net over the dock with 20 feet to shore, heading in "just in case": 3 hooks well placed, overly strong line/leaderand, situation in hamd. Oh, and that bad net. And My luck (and a very poorly placed cocker spaniel). My bad.

Score:

Me- lost rod, reel, hook & leader & fish- but had one of the best times of my life.

Fish: Was probably caught in under 3 days by some random fisherman of My(:ph34r: ) lake who netted himself a nice fish, and my 3 days old smoking hot new combo, which he probably enjoyed I imagine. Hopefully he was released.

Did I technically really catch this fish, as defined by (someone else's standards?) or for that matter my bass in 1974 ? I dont know.

I have these 2 examples of very fond memories of my life, and really dont consider what others think of them to be important-other than they enjoy the story(which IS true)

I dont keep a journal, or notch my catches on the wall or anything, or claim that to be my biggest fish ever caught. I release 99.5% of Every fish I catch. Always.

My 9.6lb Wallygator on My wall is the Biggest Walleye Ive ever caught........(thats my .5%)

Its my Fish stories ~vs~ the fishes Ive caught.

Caching is 99.5% the same for me except for the fish on my wall.

Edited by Pto

Off-topic, but I had to point out:

Prior to geocaching, I used to fish a lot. I mean a LOT. Fishing is what kept me sane.

And you don't fish as much now.

That may explain a few things. :ph34r:

On-topic:

I don't fish. I've tried it a few times and couldn't get interested. I don't even like eating seafood that much.

But I do have other hobbies besides geocaching, and with all of them I play by my rules. I'm in it for my satisfaction, not that of others. I'm not in competition with anyone, but I get offended when someone says that I'm cheating because I don't do things the way they do.

My on-line logs are my "fishing journal". I keep them the way I want. But now the self-appointed cache police and the geo-purists are trying to get it set up so everyone has to log finds their way.

Remember the good old days when determining whether a find was acceptable or not was between the cache owner and the cacher?

Edited by RichardMoore

With a name like FlygURL, not be a fly fisherman.

Been fishing my whole life, growing up in Southern Mississippi/Louisiana fishing with parents and grandparents. When I moved away, I took up fly fishing and now teach fly fishing and tying as a volunteer. Started cacheing after becoming a Mom, since it is hard to take a 2 year old in the middle of the Chattahoochee River. It is something we can do together, outdoors.

In comparing my fishing to my caching, I notice that with both, while I am searching alone, for fish or caches, the folks around my who are also searching, make the search so much more fun. I am not one to cache alone, nor do I fish alone. Catching the fish is great, but having friends and family around while I catch fish is even better. :ph34r:

Which reminds me....my dad would fish for just about anything just for the fun of it and to feed the family. However, I heard him say several times that flyfishing was the purest form of the sport...the only real fishing.

Once I got addicted to flyfishing I tended to agree with him. :ph34r:

The attitude was all in fun, but it does kind of remind me of come cache purist attitudes too.

Bret

Which reminds me....my dad would fish for just about anything just for the fun of it and to feed the family. However, I heard him say several times that flyfishing was the purest form of the sport...the only real fishing.

Once I got addicted to flyfishing I tended to agree with him. :ph34r:

The attitude was all in fun, but it does kind of remind me of come cache purist attitudes too.

Bret

Flyfishing, spincasting, bait fishing, they're all fishing. . Sure some flyfishing purists look down on spin fishermen and some who use spinning lures feel superior to those who use live bait. But its all fishing - using a hook and line to land a fish.

I don't see the connection to the so-called geocaching purists though. Sure there are some differences in geocaching preferences. Some like puzzles, some don't, some like micros, some don't, etc...., but its all geocaching - using a GPS to find a cache container. What really starts the purist's heads shaking are the newer activites that don't involve using a GPS to find a cache container that are labelled geocaching. It is kind of like someone going to the supermarket, buying some fish and calling himself a fisherman.

Edited by briansnat

I'm an opportunistic fisherman. If the Sr. Pastor calls and his boat is goin' out, I try to get free. Sometimes I "walk" the dog by the reservoir. When I lived in Michigan, I carried the equiptment and if I had a half hour I'd stop under a bridge on the Thornapple River. I don't PLAN fishing trips. I do plan caching trips.

I used to fish ALL the time. Most of my fishing buddies have moved out of state. Geocaching filled the hole that was left and then some, and in perfect time. I never kept a journal of my fishing adventures, I took photos. I fish mostly streams, lakes, reservoirs and salt water. I fish for trout, salmon, blues and striped bass. But I catch a whole lotta other fish, and let them all go. Fishermen(persons) have their eyes on their surroundings, on the water, the sky, the weather, the hatch, they are at one with nature. They aren't staring at a GPS tripping over roots. I know, I've been both places. In our area we have a lot of paddle caches, so we can get back to that nice calm soothing water. And logging my geocaching is kind of like having a journal! Geocachers can teach fishermen(persons) a thing or two. CITO your dadgum worm containers, fishing line, broken bobbers and beer cans, gosh darn it all!!! You carried it in, now carry it out.

That felt good. :grin:

What do they have in their perspective? Beer?

Why lie when you have proof?

52133_200.jpg

52133_300.jpg

52133_1600.jpg

I guess my question is, what do fishermen have in their perspective that we don't have? Where are the points of comparison?

My birthday is in late March and I usually spend most of the day by myself, reflecting on things like the past and the future, and just relaxing. Since the weather is usually pretty good that time of year I used to go fishing to have my alone time. Now I go caching and I stoll through nature preserves and enjoy the land, and occasionally sitting and being quite. I still have the chance to reflect, I'm just not getting stink bait on my fingers. It's all good. :grin:

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,

And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.

When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur

And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

Fishing is like caching except the cache fights back! There are many DNFs too! :grin: You also can make fishing more fun by using a lighter rod and line so that the smaller fish feel like bigger fish. It would be like looking for a cache with one eye closed! :grin: Anyhow, I used to flyfish and I loved it! Fishing out here isn't very good so I haven't been doing it much. I did go out in the ocean a few times but I prefer the peacefulness, beauty, solitude and the thrill of flyfishing. So caching for me has filled the void left by not being able to flyfish. But just like fishing I prefer the same peacefulness, beauty, solitude and the thrill of finding the cache when I go out on weekend hikes! ;)

Edited by TrailGators

I've caught up to 7 pound Bass. I fish from a Kayak, and Fly fish, and just about any kind of fishing. Heck, I don't care what it is as long as it takes the lure and pulls!

I like to go Camping, and while there Cache, fish, and kayak. GPS is great at marking those good spots for later.

Edited by Airmapper

My (other) hobbies include bowhunting and kayak fishing. The common thread in these hobbies is that they are something I do for me. Whether I'm watching the sunset from 30' up a palm tree, as a doe walks under my tree stand, paddling along a mirror flat lagoon as the snook are pooping the bugs off the surface, or strolling through a snake infested swamp searching for an ammo can with my loved ones, my soul is being regenerated. I dislike competition in almost any form, which is one of the things that appeals to me about geocaching. The game does have it's own circle of geofascists, but that's true with just about any activity. There will always be some faction who live there lives solely to bring down other people. Live long, laugh often, love much. That's truly what matters to your friendly neighborhood Riffters.

On a related note: Those fisherfolk who use live bait are cheaters! Hangin's too good for 'em! :rolleyes:

I have enjoyed reading this thread and need to offer my two cents, if its worth that, anyway. I have noticed that my caching has tapered off lately and that my fishing is picking up. I think the main reason is because some of the caches that have been placed seem to be more for the hide and less for the journey. When I first started caching, I enjoyed going to places that I had never been before. Now, more and more, it seems like I am seeing the same types of places.

With that said, my fishing partner stood me up on Saturday, so I went caching. I went to a park that I had been to before and found that I was mesmerized by the sound of the quail. Saw a rabbit and a mouse on my caching trip, as well. It was a great day of caching, except for the chiggers (but that is another story). The caching on this trip was secondary, the main thing was getting outdoors. My last fishing trip I found myself watching and laughing at five squirrels chasing each other in the trees.

I think I am starting to change the way I cache in that I will just slow down and enjoy the sights and sounds. For me, it is not about the numbers. OOOO, I can't believe I just said that.

Also, in fishing, it is not about the size or the amount of fish caught. It is just being there.

Either way, fishing or caching, it sure beats working.

Check my profile for my fishing pic.

Thanks for listening,

K"fish"OK

Caching and fishing, they are the same thing. Right on, CYBret and briansnat!

Fishing was my passion. I had a EagleNav Sport to mark hotspots on the lake before I knew of geocaching. On day back in 2002 while discussing fishing in of all places, my dentist’s chair, he mentioned and article he had read about the use of handheld GPS’s and something called “confluencing”. After returning home and doing some “AltaVista-ing” discovered geocaching too. Found my first cache with that Eagle. The rest is history. The parallels between the two leisure activities are wonderful.

I started to write this as a response in the "NO Cheating Game" thread,

[snip]

At the end of the day, I had gotten away from home, away from my worries, gained some much needed perspective ...

[snip]

...I guess my question is, what do fishermen have in their perspective that we don't have? Where are the points of comparison?

I like my s-l-o-w pace of caching. In a way, it is akin to a fisherman that just goes out every so often, not 3 or 4 times a week, every week. I can get away from the house, from the worries, get some perspective, etc.

I cannot see the point in inflating my numbers, or in any other form of the so-called cheating. It does not get me out of the house and from the worries any more frequently. Often, I personally have a really difficult time seeing where the fun is on those frenetic (competitive, even) caching runs.

Hurry! Find! Sign! No trade! No reading older logs! Just go to the next one! Quik!

NB: I said "often," not "always." I like the people that I have met too much to discount anything absolutely. :wub:

I definitely like PEOPLE I've met much more than I dislike any part of how the game gets played.

I guess a fisherman can say that, too. A fisherwoman, too.

Totally off topic:

I am superglad that the term geocacher is gender-neutral.

My grandmother taught me to fish. Just like geocachers have opinions about caching, she had strong opinions about what was proper fishing. In her opinion anyone who caught a fish by any other means then fly fishing was a cheater.

I am sure that she turns over in her grave everytime I go fishing using a lure. I recently started fly fishing a lot more. I find that I am enjoying fishing a more, but I no longer say that fly fishing is the only way. Like geocaching it's up to the user what he thinks is the right way.