How Many Of Your Cache Finds Are Now Archived Or Disabled?

I don't know the point the OP intends to demonstrate in this thread, but I think cache permanence should have it's limitations in some cases. It's not always a bad thing to let a cache die a natural death and be archived. This often lets an area recover from the impact that a cache has had by it's placement from geotrails etc. As I have said before I don't think caches should be viewed as an artifact left for posterity but rather as a temporal game piece that is only in play for a certain time. In my area, somewhat of a caching stasis has existed for quite a awhile. There have not been a number of new caches placed in some time (except by myself) so for me to log any new finds and participate in that manner I need to travel outside of the region. It would be nice too see some new hides in areas where old caches have stood and are in "ownership" of the territory.

From esastern Mass:

25 out of 280 or 9%.

However, 10 of those are events so really it should be counted as 15 out of 269 or 5%.

(One recent event has not yet been archived.)

Also, I check and all 5 of my virtuals I found are still up and were not effected by the Waymarking move so that does not effect my percentages.

Loch Cache

Out of 51, 26 have been archived. All things must pass, and I get to put out new ones!

I read that and thought, gee a new cachers with only 51 finds and already over 50% have been archived. That's rough. Then I looked at your profile and saw you quoted your hides instead. Since all your hides except one are over a year old, that is not too bad of a record.

Then that got me thinking of my own hide stats. 29 hides placed since 8/04 and only one archived. (2 temporarily disabled by me for cache maintenance which I expect to have back up soon.) As is, the one archived, Middlesex C, was "Reloaded" and moved 100 feet and has lasted for over a year now. I have had 2 others "muggled" and I replaced them and they have been fine. I have also disabled, repaired and reactivated caches rather then just letting them go. Technically I have 28 out of 29 still active or 97%.

I was wondering what other cachers' hide vs. still active numbers are? And what are the opinions on repair/replace vs. archiving.

Loch Cache

Edit: Added links

Edited by Loch Cache

Here's some longer term stats. This dates back to October 2002.

Event, CITO event ,and locationless are omitted.

1058 finds 188 archived 17.7% 27 disabled 2.5%

It's interesting to look at the archived ones by years placed.

placed 2000-2001-- found 48 -- archived 5 -- 10.4%

placed 2002-- found 208-- archived 50-- 24.0%

placed 2003-- found 263-- archived 81-- 30.7%

placed 2004-- found 288-- archived 35-- 12.2%

placed 2005-- found 216-- archived 15-- 6.6%

placed 2006 -- found 35-- archived 2 -- 5.7%

Those old ones are doing well. I think some of them have been adopted and are being maintained just because they are old caches.

MY own caches: I've placed 26, 4 of them 15.4% are archived.

Out of 51, 26 have been archived. All things must pass, and I get to put out new ones!

I read that and thought, gee a new cachers with only 51 finds and already over 50% have been archived. That's rough. Then I looked at your profile and saw you quoted your hides instead. Since all your hides except one are over a year old, that is not too bad of a record.

<snip>

I was wondering what other cachers' hide vs. still active numbers are? And what are the opinions on repair/replace vs. archiving . . .

I have placed 64 caches (one is on another site) and two are Archived.

One was a unique container in a way-out-of-my-route location and when gas spiked to $3.42 a gallon here, I decided to Archive it instead of creating another similar cache and replacing it.

The other was my only Puzzle cache. When I was in the area , I saw new "No Trespassing" signs near the access point. :D We "snuck" in by an alternate route so I could retrieve the container . . .

In proportion to your total finds? (There's the topic, talk amongst yourselves)

128 out of 453 for us, or 28%

'Find stats' says, 131 (25.2%) archived

I think this was a similar thread to this a couple months ago, I'll look for it...

Out of 950 cache finds 273 (28.7%) are archived.

This is over 5 years, so that's not too bad all things considered.

I also have 154 DNF logs (15.8%). 18 of which are archived and not included in the 273 caches that I've found.

So the grant total of 968 cache hunts, 291 caches are archived (30.1%).

Edited by ekitt10

Only 2 Regular Cahes, 1 Event (of course), and 1 Reverse Cache (of course also) out of 114, as of today, have been archived and currently none are disabled. Wasn't quite sure if you wanted events and reverses added, but without them its only about 1.8%.

Edited by BomberJjr

577 caches archived out of 1708 caches found (excludes locationless and event caches), or 33.78%.

The ones that hurt the most are when an entry drops off "The Leprechauns' Top Five Percent Greatest Cache Hunts" bookmark list. I prefer for my favorites list to include only active caches, so that people can go out and find the good ones. I lost one to archival last week, and another (Lighthouse Point, in Washington State) is not long for this world. :grin:

782 (32.0%) out of about 2500 archived. I don't log locationless or event caches, so that has no impact on me.

It looks like for people who have been caching a long time, the number hovers around 33% or so. Interesting. I should figure out a way to make some kind of interesting inference from that. :grin:

Edited by fizzymagic

Out of 154 finds (I know, small sample size - but what'cha gonna do) over the last 3 years - 17 of our former finds have been archived (little over 10%) and an additional 6 are currently temp. disabled. Of the 17 archives, 4 were caches we found in New Orleans before Katrina - as well as 3 of the 6 temp. disables. I would guess not all of the archives in NOLA are due to Katrina, but I bet some were.

Also, one of the archives was an event cache - that probably shouldnt count. Also, just based upon a quick glance through the archived caches. many of them were placed by cachers that are not at all active in geocaching anymore. The caches went archived more due to lack of maintenence than anything else.

782 (32.0%) out of about 2500 archived. I don't log locationless or event caches, so that has no impact on me.

It looks like for people who have been caching a long time, the number hovers around 33% or so. Interesting. I should figure out a way to make some kind of interesting inference from that. :grin:

Looking at this thread again, I noticed much the same trend of longterm cachers. So why is my archived rate so low (18%). I would have to go in and see where the preponderance of archived caches were, but most of my finds are in Oklahoma. Maybe we keep caches around a lot longer here. I realize that last year I had a large number of finds, but the archive rate is fairly consistent throughout caches found in any caching year. :grin:

Looking at this thread again, I noticed much the same trend of longterm cachers. So why is my archived rate so low (18%). I would have to go in and see where the preponderance of archived caches were, but most of my finds are in Oklahoma. Maybe we keep caches around a lot longer here. I realize that last year I had a large number of finds, but the archive rate is fairly consistent throughout caches found in any caching year. :grin:

Mine is low too (as posted earlier, 1058 finds 188 archived 17.7% 27 disabled 2.5% not counting events/locaionless) and although I'm based in Nebraska I've cached all over, 28 states and counting. I tend to avoid the really urban caches and go for ones out in the woods or at least in a far corner of a park if that means anything.

There are so many variables involved here that it's really hard to infer anything.