The No Cheating Game

If Found It actually meant you walked out to the posted coordinates, found the cache, and signed the log, would there be fewer people playing?

Would people quit if they had to be truthful?

Would there be a mass exodus of geocachers to another listing site if they couldn’t claim a find on some Velcro remnants or a piece of string?

Would there be fewer geocachers if the cache owner didn’t ‘grant’ a find because someone tried so very hard?

Would geocaching be less fun if players couldn’t tell their young daughters to ask some other geocacher “Is that a cache in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”

Would geocaching go under if there was no slothful way to rack up thousands of smileys by logging your own caches, having caches brought to you, or being ‘granted’ extra smileys by some equally lazy cache owner?

What would it be like?

Edited by Criminal

What would it be like?

As much as you and I would like the world to be perfect, it isn't. Fantasizing about it won't make it happen, nor will more threads about the same rehashed topics. Everyone knows you want people's stats to reflect true finds. Mine do. Granted, I've had to delete a dozen or so logs to get them that way, and I feel better for having done so. But does bringing up the same old topics again and again really serve a purpose? Are you really hoping to change the world? Or ya just trolling?

If Found It actually meant you walked out to the posted coordinates, found the cache, and signed the log, would there be fewer people playing?

Would there be a mass exodus of geocachers to another listing site if they couldn’t claim a find on some Velcro remnants or a piece of string?

Would there be fewer geocachers if the cache owner didn’t ‘grant’ a find because someone tried so very hard?

Would geocaching be less fun if players couldn’t tell their young daughters to ask some other geocacher “Is that a cache in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”

Would geocaching go under if there was no slothful way to rack up thousands of smileys by logging your own caches, having caches brought to you, or being ‘granted’ extra smileys by some equally lazy cache owner?

What would it be like?

Could we just forward all logs to you for approval?

Edited by fishingfools

What would it be like?

Man, there's always going to be off topic comebacks like this! :D

Criminal is asking legitimate questions that for whatever reason, people don't want to answer. I too would like to see someone's, anyone's,,, honest opinion as to why they think these practices are ok. Not the "it shouldn't matter how i play the game" or "just mind your own beeswax" comebacks either.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

No.

What would it be like?

Pure Bliss.

What would it be like?

Criminal is asking legitimate questions that for whatever reason, people don't want to answer. I too would like to see someone's, anyone's,,, honest opinion as to why they think these practices are ok. Not the "it shouldn't matter how i play the game" or "just mind your own beeswax" comebacks either.

ok here my take, since you asked:

I do not like padded numbers. I try to play within the rules, and firmly believe in 1 find per GC#, and the log must be signed to count.

Have I logged pocket/temp caches at an event? Yes, I have. They have a gc# and I found them. Would I do it again? Most likely not.

Several of the "real" caches we found at GW4 were archived before we could log them all. That is the owners right, and I would never log my own cache or the event twice to "make up" for the lost finds.

I do not think there would be a mass exudus, because these so called cheaters are a small minority of cachers.

I do resent the implication that becasue a cacher has alot of finds, he or she must be a cheater.

I do resent the implication that becasue a cacher has alot of finds, he or she must be a cheater.

Can you link me to a post where that happened?

I think everything I read mentioned very specific logging practices. Not blanket accusations against high number Cachers in general.

I don't condone or practice the so called cheating tactics that others employ, or are accused of.

My stance is why should I be moved to care about how others choose to find happiness in a game with no clear winners, no real competition, and as completely subjective in reference to what you might think of as point value as this site is set up to run?

I haven't been convinced why I should care by any intelligent argument in all the discussions so far..... Again, maybe when a questionable find of someone else's causes ME to lose some "points" I can be moved to your side of the fence. Hmmmm sounds like ...... could it be...... TERRACACHING? :D

My question is Why do folks want to turn geocaching into terracaching? :D

I play both on their own merits. I happen to like it better HERE. :D

There's more than ONE lane on the geocaching highway. It sounds to me like a few folks need to switch lanes and try the OTHER side of the coin for awhile. :D

We'll see ya back here soon enough. :D:D

Edited by Snoogans

Can you link me to a post where that happened?

I think everything I read mentioned very specific logging practices. Not blanket accusations against high number Cachers in general.

How about:

I have thousands of smiles, and a lot of miles on my boots. Not a sloth. :D

oh and a couple of cheesey couch potato finds :D

(ala George Costanza) It's not cheating if you believe it. :D

No cheating in Geocaching will happen just before people stop cheating on their taxes, just after they obey the post speed limits, and about the same time that employees stop swiping pens and pads from the storage room.

I can't imagine how the hobby would be different if there was no cheating. I'm about as impressed by a cachers find count, by how many weeks they go between clipping their toe nails. I do know that bogus finds on legitimate caches are frustrating because they can give a false confidence that a caches is still in place and in good shape. Otherwise, I don't see how this recreational activity would be better or worst.

:D:D

Sorry.... That looks like a post I might have read at S*T*O*P*geocachingDOTcom not so long ago. :D:D:D

Got a specific reference, or were you just painting pretty pictures? :D:D

What would it be like?

ok here my take, since you asked:

I do not like padded numbers. I try to play within the rules, and firmly believe in 1 find per GC#, and the log must be signed to count.

Have I logged pocket/temp caches at an event? Yes, I have. They have a gc# and I found them. Would I do it again? Most likely not.

Several of the "real" caches we found at GW4 were archived before we could log them all. That is the owners right, and I would never log my own cache or the event twice to "make up" for the lost finds.

I do not think there would be a mass exudus, because these so called cheaters are a small minority of cachers.

Nice stance! I agree with you on every point you just made here, except for the ""real" caches we found at GW4 were archived" comment. Yes you did find a cache but they were active in their original hidng places, not at the event. I stated in another thread that i logged a few caches like these that were brought to an event too. I thought about it and it bugged me enough that i went back and deleted my finds on those.

High numbers do not equal cheaters. Like you, i feel that there are very few out there that purposely cheat.

I do believe that for many, it IS about having a high find count (it makes them feel better somehow maybe? :D ) since they want to log finds for every stinking thing they do. It's certainly not them wanting to keep up with their caching history (as some have said) since they could just as easily post a note instead of the improper find log.

I'm about as impressed by a cachers find count, by how many weeks they go between clipping their toe nails.

I don't use a clipper, I use a knife. Impressed now?

High numbers do not equal cheaters. Like you, i feel that there are very few out there that purposely cheat.

High numbers do not equal cheaters. I know people with thousands of finds who would never think of logging a phony find, pocket cache, retirement card, armchair cache or any of the various numbers padding schemes.

Still I think there are a lot more who do than you realize.

Nice stance! I agree with you on every point you just made here, except for the ""real" caches we found at GW4 were archived" comment. Yes you did find a cache but they were active in their original hidng places, not at the event. I stated in another thread that i logged a few caches like these that were brought to an event too. I thought about it and it bugged me enough that i went back and deleted my finds on those.

The ones I was talking about where the UDT ones, not at GW4, but on campus up in Dallas. From what I heard, the owner didn't like the cut and paste logs, so they where archived. It's the owners cache, and they can do whatever they wish.

The caches that where brought to the event, thats an other issue. The geocaching community is somewhat self- policeing, and they community at large has decided that moving caches are not exempt from the rules. So be it, I gots no problem with that.

Would there be fewer geocachers if the cache owner didn't ‘grant’ a find because someone tried so very hard?

Okay, I did that once, I don't think I'd do it now, but is there a point where an exception is made?

A cacher came to visit one of my caches that was next to a river. Since I hadn't been keeping a close enough eye on it, I didn't know the cache site had been underwater, and the cache was gone. The visiting cacher, unable to cross the ferry (Water was up) drove another 30 miles to get my cache, and when he got there, laid on his belly and reached into the water grubbing around for it under the rock ledge. He provided photos, and I confirmed had the cache been in place he would have found it. I granted a find simply because, he had fulfilled my intentions for the cache, he came, he looked, he found, and if I had my end held up, there would have been a log to sign.

Are there grounds for an exception in a case like this? I agree, I don't think we should grant a find for every time someone looks hard when the cache is missing, but are there times when you should just grant a find because they actually earned it?

Edited by Airmapper
Would there be fewer geocachers if the cache owner didn't ‘grant’ a find because someone tried so very hard?

Okay, I did that once, I don't think I'd do it now, but is there a point where an exception is made?

A cacher came to visit one of my caches that was next to a river. Since I hadn't been keeping a close enough eye on it, I didn't know the cache site had been underwater, and the cache was gone. The visiting cacher, unable to cross the ferry (Water was up) drove another 30 miles to get my cache, and when he got there, laid on his belly and reached into the water grubbing around for it under the rock ledge. He provided photos, and I confirmed had the cache been in place he would have found it. I granted a find simply because, he had fulfilled my intentions for the cache, he came, he looked, he found, [Found what?] and if I had my end held up, there would have been a log to sign.

Are there grounds for an exception in a case like this? I agree, I don't think we should grant a find for every time someone looks hard when the cache is missing, but are there times when you should just grant a find because they actually earned it?

Actually this thread was supposed to be rhetorical, I posted it as a rant and then locked it. When I saw a typo I reopened it to make the fix but forgot to close it again.

But to answer your question, no, he didn’t find the cache, it’s not a find. See this topic for more explanation.

EDIT: Forgot this part

You cannot ‘grant’ a find, either they found the cache, or they did not. If they say they found it they are telling, and you’re encouraging, a lie.

Edited by Criminal

I don't condone or practice the so called cheating tactics that others employ, or are accused of.

My stance is why should I be moved to care about how others choose to find happiness in a game with no clear winners, no real competition, and as completely subjective in reference to what you might think of as point value as this site is set up to run?

I haven't been convinced why I should care by any intelligent argument in all the discussions so far..... Again, maybe when a questionable find of someone else's causes ME to lose some "points" I can be moved to your side of the fence. Hmmmm sounds like ...... could it be...... TERRACACHING? :D

My question is Why do folks want to turn geocaching into terracaching? :D

I play both on their own merits. I happen to like it better HERE. :D

There's more than ONE lane on the geocaching highway. It sounds to me like a few folks need to switch lanes and try the OTHER side of the coin for awhile. :D

We'll see ya back here soon enough. :D:D

Very Well Stated... But if we didn't have Forum whiners then it really would be terracaching!

The ones I was talking about where the UDT ones, not at GW4, but on campus up in Dallas. From what I heard, the owner didn't like the cut and paste logs, so they where archived. It's the owners cache, and they can do whatever they wish.

The caches that where brought to the event, thats an other issue. The geocaching community is somewhat self- policeing, and they community at large has decided that moving caches are not exempt from the rules. So be it, I gots no problem with that.

Yeah, I found that a bit odd when I noticed those ones around UTD got archived. Of course, I found them a while ago, and posted a bit more than cut-and-paste material in my Found logs :D

Very Well Stated... But if we didn't have Forum whiners then it really would be terracaching!

You say it's whining. If you want to support pocket caches, please do. Does it threaten you to have your caching practices viewed negatively? Please don’t post if you cannot add anything intellectual to the thread.

What would it be like?

As much as you and I would like the world to be perfect, it isn't. Fantasizing about it won't make it happen, nor will more threads about the same rehashed topics. Everyone knows you want people's stats to reflect true finds. Mine do. Granted, I've had to delete a dozen or so logs to get them that way, and I feel better for having done so. But does bringing up the same old topics again and again really serve a purpose? Are you really hoping to change the world? Or ya just trolling?

Sticking your head in the sand and pretending something doesn't doesn't change a thing. In fact more times than not it makes it worse.

Take pocket caches as an example. For years Groundspeak knew about pocket caches, yet did nothing. Those who where "pocket caching" thought that because Groundspeak was doing nothing that ment that pocket caches were allowed to be listed. When the pocket cache situation exploded and pocket caches started getting archived, for violation of site guidlines, the pocket cachers cried foul.

There's more than ONE road on the geocaching highway. It sounds to me like a few folks need to switch lanes and try the OTHER side of the coin for awhile. :cry:

Wow, now thats a mixed metaphor for ya :cry:

Aha! More substantial proof that Yogi Berra is a cacher and has a sockpuppet, and all along everyone thought Snoogans was Wink Martindale. :cry:

I tried to reply to this thread last night, but it was locked.Hmm.

A.[i doubt it!]

A.[it would weed out the undesirables.]

Would there be a mass exodus of geocachers to another listing site if the couldn’t claim a find on some Velcro remnants or a piece of string?

A.[i would hope so]

A.[Yes, if they wereturned down for a smiley they are likely to Quit]

A[i only put fun things in my pocket, so I have no answer]

A.[No, Geocaching would flourish; the chaff would have been separated from the wheat]

What would it be like?

[it would be like way cool]

There are a couple of different situations covered by a lot of the conversation of late and it would seem worthwhile to call them out.

It has been suggested that there are teams out there where every member of the team is logging a find when any member of the team finds a cache (and signs with the team name). I have no idea whether this has actually happened, but we can think about it happening.

It would seem that this behavior is out of bounds. If we want to be blunt, we might even use the word "lying" or "cheating." Fine.

It has also been suggested that there are teams where everyone on the team goes out and together they find the cache, but they just have one person sign the log with the team name. Again, I have no idea whether this has actually happened, but we can think about it happening.

While we might argue that this behavior as "incorrect" or even "impolite," and might wish that expectations could be clarified so that we are all on the same page, "lying" or "cheating" seems a bit harsh.

It seems more like a gray area within the bounds of "the rules don't (and shouldn't) spell out everything" and "lets' cut each other some slack."

I would think that the very idea of team caching (where a person logs an "I found it" when really all they did was go along for the hike and say "pass the log" after someone else did all the finding) would be more controversial than log signing etiquette amongst those present at the find.

Of course I would be wrong about that. :cry:

just $0.02 (and that won't buy enough gas to get to the next cache)

Ahhh, gotcha! :cry:

As for my personal opinion of the cache owner's actions,,,,, well nevermind, that would be off-topic for sure. :cry:

Edited by Mudfrog

<snip>

I would think that the very idea of team caching (where a person logs an "I found it" when really all they did was go along for the hike and say "pass the log" after someone else did all the finding) would be more controversial than log signing etiquette amongst those present at the find.

Of course I would be wrong about that. :cry:

just $0.02 (and that won't buy enough gas to get to the next cache)

You are kidding, right? :cry: I can't believe anyone would think caching with a group is "controversial." ;) I never thought of Geocaching as a solo sport/hobby/activity/obsession.

Do you really think that because one of these people found the cache first, only that person can claim the "Smiley." :cry:

3db16d4c-eb51-4fe2-bd11-f7525ab2d193.jpg

I can see it now, a mad dash by all the members of the group for the last 100' to the cache so they can be the one who sees the artifcial pile of rocks first, followed by arguments about which person, of the three who spotted it at the same time, actually was a nanosecond ahead of the others in shouting "Found It" so they get the smiley . . . :cry:

Caching with a group is lots of fun, and in some areas, safer than caching alone. In this canyon area, a cacher spotted a mountain lion a few months ago. :) One that day we walked more than five miles and found several caches . . . and everyone in the group logged those caches as "Found It." :)

You are kidding, right? :cry: I can't believe anyone would think caching with a group is "controversial." :cry: I never thought of Geocaching as a solo sport/hobby/activity/obsession.

Do you really think that because one of these people found the cache first, only that person can claim the "Smiley." :cry:

No. I was expressing surprise that something else was more controversial, not saying that team caching was a problem.

In a forum where folks work themselves into a lather over whether it is really a find if you didn't sign the log personally and just let a teammate sign for the team, I would expect apoplexy over someone logging a find if they didn't find it themselves.

Just to be perfectly clear. I do not think that team caching is anything other than good, But then, I don't thing log signing style is anything to get worked up over either. (nor do I think the whole "I trade/I don't trade" thing is anything other then personal preference, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms)

I don't doubt that there are cheaters, and there are some actions that are clearly beyond the boundaries of geocaching. I'm just saying that there might be a little leeway for folks to disagree about some of the details of how it is done without the need to declare each other cheaters.

This goes to show you how everyone thinks so differently about how to cache. Since all of our caches are listed on GC.com, i'm a stickler for trying to follow the site's guidelines. But there are some geocaching related things that aren't so black and white. These are the things you have to decide for yourself how you want to play.

Here's one of those things now! We group cache quite a bit and most of the time we do just what you have stated above. I suppose we could all wait at the vehicle(s) and let one person go at a time to find the cache.

But to me this would pretty much defeat the whole purpose of group caching. We like to hunt together and part of the comraderie and fun is seeing who spots the cache first. When someone does find it then they usually try to walk off without giving it's location away but with everyone in such close proximity, this doesn't work out all that often.

On log signing, sometimes we pass the log around for everyone to sign, sometimes one person signs all of our names. We did use a team signature on a few caches one time because we had 9 of us on that trip. I don't really see that as being a problem but i'd still rather end up getting all our names in the logbook when possible.

It's up to the cacher if they really want to get down and dirty and technical about all of this. I also have a feeliing that this cacher would end up developing angst, getting bored, and wanting to find another hobby pretty quick too!

My question is Why do folks want to turn geocaching into terracaching? :cry:

That's not it at all. It's some people trying to turn "anything goes" into geocaching.com

Honestly, "pocket caches"? Caches that are both temporary and moving? Who was the id10t that thought these things met the guidelines? :cry: Yeah, allegations this and "nothing proven" that. You know it's wrong and you're still defending them. You're a cool guy in person, but I think someone slipped something in your drink recently :cry:

...You are kidding, right? :cry: I can't believe anyone would think caching with a group is "controversial." ;) I never thought of Geocaching as a solo sport/hobby/activity/obsession.

Do you really think that because one of these people found the cache first, only that person can claim the "Smiley." :)

3db16d4c-eb51-4fe2-bd11-f7525ab2d193.jpg

I can see it now, a mad dash by all the members of the group for the last 100' to the cache so they can be the one who sees the artifcial pile of rocks first, followed by arguments about which person, of the three who spotted it at the same time, actually was a nanosecond ahead of the others in shouting "Found It" so they get the smiley . . . :cry:

Caching with a group is lots of fun, and in some areas, safer than caching alone. In this canyon area, a cacher spotted a mountain lion a few months ago. :cry: One that day we walked more than five miles and found several caches . . . and everyone in the group logged those caches as "Found It." :cry:

Miragee, the picture makes your post. I can't imagine a better way to have fun caching than going in a group. 99% of my finds are with others.

maybe we can have a code in the cache box, like a travelbug so that when you find it you have to put in the number?

That too is subject to cheating. "Pssst, I'll trade you codes...shhhh!" The present system forces people to be more blatant about their lying and cheating.

It hardly matters, the truth always reveals itself.

In addition, once a local is suspected as a cheater, that stigma never really vanishes.

Regarding the topic of group hunts, disallowing users a find on those is just plan childish.

Group hunts are good! Group hunts are fun!

Must of us would be holed up in our computer rooms playing War Craft or Leisure Suite Larry 19 if it wasn't for group hunts.

Periodically, there is a group of 3 or 4 that passes by my way and gobble up 30-40 caches a day, suspiciously passing up all puzzle caches, 2+ star terrain caches and multis. Why is their experience less significant then someone that does two of those caches solo on a Saturday afternoon?

Edited by ekitt10

I've DNF'd a velcro remnant and a piece of string recently. Cache owner was alerted on one of them, and it was soon disabled. Hope I spared future visitors from a wasted trip. Or is act of courtesy out of fashion, so I should play Geocaching THE WAY I WANT because the rest of humanity is irrelevant? :cry:

Finds aren't "earned:" they're a statement of fact.

I would see a DNF on that cache just as good as a Found, the log can tell the experience and effort he put forth. There's nothing wrong with a DNF. If anything, I would have more respect for his effort since it was posted truthfully.

Maybe something's changed, but I thought you could log archived caches anyway?

What would it be like?

It sounds like it would be pretty much the way it's always been for me. SWEET!

I would see a DNF on that cache just as good as a Found, the log can tell the experience and effort he put forth. There's nothing wrong with a DNF. If anything, I would have more respect for his effort since it was posted truthfully.

You would think so. Its the way many of us see it. They however have become a sort of currency for some people. Meet another geocacher you get an extra "found it", attend an event you can earn dozens, dance the Funky Chicken at the cache site you get another, find the tree where the cache is hidden you have another, meet the owner of an archived cache, find.

.....Maybe something's changed, but I thought you could log archived caches anyway?

Which in itself is one of the stupidest features that I know of on GC. Can someone give me a reasonable explination why you should be able to post a found it log on an archived cache?

You would think so. Its the way many of us see it. They however have become a sort of currency for some people. Meet another geocacher you get an extra "found it", attend an event you can earn dozens, dance the Funky Chicken at the cache site you get another, find the tree where the cache is hidden you have another, meet the owner of an archived cache, find.

On a recent road trip, I DNFd a cache (Well, actually I DNFd almost 20% of the caches I looked for :cry: ).

Anyway, when I got back home, a thousand miles away from that cache, I was finally able to log the caches I found, and did not find, during the trip.

I posted my DNF and was surprised when the cache owner emailed me and said since I posted a picture of the item mentioned in the hint, I could log a "Found It."

:cry: I was surprised at that offer and politely declined, but apparently, in that Geocaching community, such a thing is accepted . . . :cry:

Edited by Miragee

Miragee, the picture makes your post. I can't imagine a better way to have fun caching than going in a group. 99% of my finds are with others.

So you're saying that 99% of your "finds" you didn't actually find? Someone else found the cache and showed you were it was? And yet you still called logged it as a find? :cry:

I'd say about 90-95% of my finds were found while caching alone.

Before you start to get defensive, I don't have a problem with everyone in the group logging the find. But there are some who would call this cheating because you didn't find the cache.