Waymark Managers Group:> Uk Trigpoints Managers

G'day

This posting is a call for UK premium members interested in Waymarking and in particular UK trigpoints to consider supporting the UK Tripoints Waymarking category. Currently the category managers group has no officers. It was transferred over I think from the locationless cache. Categories without managers are on probation, so this category needs a manager group.

Interested members can "sign-up" as managers at Waymarking.com. It would be a pitty to see this category go by the way.

BTW all the best in the football!

Regards

Andrew

Why does the category need a manager? and what would their responsibillities be? :D Oh, and by the way Aushiker, good to see the SoccerRoo's get through :D

Please see the Waymarking FAQ for a better explanation than I can provide but basically each Waymarking category has a management group who are responsible for setting up the category and approving waymarks. Bit like a cache owner but with Waymarking there is a management group. I think they are trying to avoid categories going dead because the "owner" goes AWOL.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

I've signed up as a "member", though not as an "officer" (whatever that is).

I'd like to help in any way I can because I greatly regret the demise of trig pillars in the UK and want to help to preserve the survivors. GPS is a wonderful boon and I love it to bits, but I think we are very foolish to abandon the rich positioning resource which the trig networks has bequeathed us. I wince every time I see another trig pillar being grubbed out by diggers or so densely wooded as to become inaccessible and useless. Just last month I found a local secondary had been systematically destroyed, albeit not completely, and has effectively been rendered unuseable. Through the local farmers network, I traced the perpetrator and have had some very stern words with him. I've also contacted the landowners of a couple of other trigs in the area and have made clear to them that I shall be keeping an eye on them and will not hesitate to make trouble for anyone who tampers with any trig pillar.

How else would we be able to check the actual accuracy of GPS if we didn't have our lovely trig points? How else would we be able to do rough survey work by traditional methods? How else would we be able to tie in cadastral points to the national grid if we did not have a full and widespread network of second and third order trig points? GPS is no more a substitute for a proper and comprehensive trig network than a doctor's stethoscope is made redundant by EEGs ECGs CATscans etc.

Although I'm not an active supporter of "Waymarking" and am unhappy with its role in the destruction of locationless caching, I'd be happy to volunteer to help the trig hunting category by serving as an officer if I knew what the duties and responsibilities actually are.

The first thing I'd do would be to place a clickable link on each relevant page which guides its readers to the excellent and immensely valuable TrigpointingUK website.

My thanks to the Ozmate who had the gumption and took the initiative to bring this topic to the attention of this forum. Goodonyer, mate.

Maybe we can at last answer that wee girlie's question when she chirpily asks "So where the bloody hell are ya?"!

How does logging them on WM.com differ from TPUK.com? I like to find the odd trigpoint as they tend to come with a stunning view, but unless I am missing something there is little point in using WM.com for this.

Another question. How come you can log benchmarks on GC.com but no one has though to integrate UK trigs, or have they?

My personal vies is unless someone is passionate about keeping it alive then let it die away, it can a always be re-created.

Another question. How come you can log benchmarks on GC.com but no one has though to integrate UK trigs, or have they?

Yes, TPTB are entitled to make their decisions(even if we dont all agree with them), but having removed all the other non-physical cache categories, why did they leave benchmarks? It seems a bit inconsistent.

Yes, TPTB are entitled to make their decisions(even if we dont all agree with them), but having removed all the other non-physical cache categories, why did they leave benchmarks? It seems a bit inconsistent.

...Because they're American, obviously :grin:

and for the next non-physical category...The Social Find, confused? Me too!

The idea behind the Social Find is to help cachers attending events, actually interact with other cachers whom they might not normally have spoken to.

It is also to stop the growing phenomenon of Multiple attend logs on events, and the now firmly stopped Pocket caches (Pocket Lint), which used Archived and moved physical caches as Moving caches in breach of the guidelines.

Social Finds will be similar to Trackables ( TB's and Coins) in that they will have their own tab on your profile showing your social finds, but will not count towards you finds stats.

Each person will have a code word which will be needed to log a Social Find on that person. The cacher may just give out their code word to anyone who asks, or might require some sort of task completing first.

Deceangi

Hi All

My thanks to those mature enough to stay on the topic of this thread and to those who have chosen to support the waymark category.

I believe the category has sufficient officers to keep it going. It will be now up to the wider community if they choose to support it or not.

All the best to your caching and Waymarking efforts however you choose to play the game. I hope those who have made disaparging comments of the efforts of others learn to respect others choices as to how they wish to play the various geo games around.

Regards

Andrew Priest

Edited by Aushiker