Adopt A Yjtb Or Wjtb

zygote2k

if somebody "adopted" my travel bug i'd be mad.

Don't worry, no one can adopt your TB without your say so.

What if I ask to adopt ishingdude720's TB and they don't say no, can I adopt it then? :rolleyes:

Edited by welch

.....But why hold on to them? Why? why? why? Someone please explain to me why?????? I just don't get it.

They think that there are plently to go around, or maybe the jeeps are disappearing so they might as well hold on to one since someone else is going to keep it anyway.

I know you are refering to others but I would like to address this part, it's not aimed at anyone in particular

Years ago when I was in college, I came upon an item along the river that had been left behind by some workman, it was a fiberglass tape measure, 300 feet long, divided decimally rather than fractionally.

My first thought was, I might as well take it because if I don't, the next person to find it will take it anyway.

But then it hit me, stealing it first was still stealing. I have no control over everybody else but I do have control over me, and if I left it there was a chance the owner would return and find it, but taking it guaranteed they could not. You can't base your decision on what others might do, you have to do what's right, period. If not you are a thief, no matter how well you rationalize it away.

I left the tape after moving it slightly to "hopefully" make it less likely to be found by a casual passerby and still be easy to find by someone looking for it, sorta like geocaching 1988 style. :rolleyes:

As for the wjtb's, I liked the one I found so much I bought one just like it and released the tb after adding it to my watchlist. It's been fun watching it move around and so far it's still going, :rolleyes:

.....But why hold on to them? Why? why? why? Someone please explain to me why?????? I just don't get it.

They think that there are plently to go around, or maybe the jeeps are disappearing so they might as well hold on to one since someone else is going to keep it anyway.

I know you are refering to others but I would like to address this part, it's not aimed at anyone in particular

Years ago when I was in college, I came upon an item along the river that had been left behind by some workman, it was a fiberglass tape measure, 300 feet long, divided decimally rather than fractionally.

My first thought was, I might as well take it because if I don't, the next person to find it will take it anyway.

But then it hit me, stealing it first was still stealing. I have no control over everybody else but I do have control over me, and if I left it there was a chance the owner would return and find it, but taking it guaranteed they could not. You can't base your decision on what others might do, you have to do what's right, period. If not you are a thief, no matter how well you rationalize it away.

I left the tape after moving it slightly to "hopefully" make it less likely to be found by a casual passerby and still be easy to find by someone looking for it, sorta like geocaching 1988 style. :rolleyes:

As for the wjtb's, I liked the one I found so much I bought one just like it and released the tb after adding it to my watchlist. It's been fun watching it move around and so far it's still going, :rolleyes:

Yep, and it seems to be easier to justify when you think it's not someone's personal property. And that's never really true.

I have several Jeep Tb's in my collection. Rather than just outright keeping them out of circulation, is there any way that I could adopt them? For example, I have a WJTB in my own Jeep and let people log it when they see me at a cache or event. I'm sure I'm asking for flak from people who will say that I'm a hoarder, but I am really just looking to see if it can be done.

No, you can't adopt it, as far as I know.

Thanks to all the other cachers who chose to jump on this cacher, rather than just answer the question posed.

Jeep released the Travel Bugs to travel for the duration of the contest. The contest is over. That means the Bugs mission is over.

Do you think Jeep actually expects these to come back to them?

Keep it.

Edited by TEAM 360

Jeep released the Travel Bugs to travel for the duration of the contest. The contest is over. That means the Bugs mission is over.

Keep it.

All the jeep tb I've seen had CURRENT goals of something like 'Move me to another cache so I can meet another geocacher / log me then move me to another cache'. Have you seen some that say something else?

I do believe I answered the question already, but I'll answer again more succinctly. You can't adopt something unless the owner sends you the adopt request and you accept it. There has to be an agreement between the bug owner and you. Not Groundspeak and you. So, I repeat, ask Jeep. If Jeep doesn't answer, Jeep still owns the TB. It's still supposed to travel.

Keep it.

If you are a new geocacher and you are wondering why this advice is being given to zygote2k, I cannot offer any insight at all. This advice is factually incorrect. Jeep4x4 has placed more than 10,000 TB's into the game and not a single Jeep TB contains the instructions being given by this apparently experienced geocacher, where does the advice come from, who knows, Eartha already asked a similar question.

If you see geocachers displaying "kidnapped" TB's at events you can simply view them as you would the same people who cut into lines at the grocery store or coffee shop. They are either rude and inconsiderate people or they are ignorant of the facts. Most people waiting in the line up will never correct them but there are many who will tap them on the shoulder and say "The back of the line is over there.", they are simply pointing out a fact, the back of the line really is over there.

The person cutting in may have missed that fact but there are those who simply choose to ignore it. People displaying "kidnapped" Jeep TB's fall into one category or the other because all the Jeep TB's are owned by Jeep.

Jeep4x4 will place another 5000 TB's into the game again this year bringing the total number of TB's placed by that account holder to over 15,000 TB's. The idea is to let geocachers all over the world have a chance to see and log a Jeep Travel Bug and obtain the icon. The unique icon is very popular and the popularity of the Jeep TB's seems neverending. If you see a Jeep TB you can easily satisy your curiousity as to it's mission, go ahead and check, welch is 100% correct, every single last jeep TB wants to travel from cache to cache.

If you are talking to a new, inexperienced geocacher who is lucky enough to find a Jeep TB and they are not sure what happens next, let them know the only thing to do is release it so that other geocachers have the opportunity to log it, just point out that the owner of the every TB sets the mission and that any geocacher can visit the TB's webpage to see the mission selected by the owner, very straightforward and simple. You could let them know that many geocachers help TB's accomplish the owner-selected mission but there is no need, no one will frown if you simply "discover" the TB and forego taking it from a cache. Explain that a TB is always owned by someone and it is never a trade item, explain that geocachers should never hinder a TB in it's mission. You could assist them in logging the TB and show them how the icons accumulate in the Trackable section of the profile indicating that they encountered another geocachers TB and helped in the mission.

Don't tell them to keep it, please.

As for tapping people on the shoulder and pointing out the where the back of the line actually is, that isn't for everyone and people who like cutting into line would be happy to see that behaviour squelched, human nature being what it is, that isn't likely to happen.

I'll ask the same question here that I did in the NW forums thread. I wonder how many of the jeep TB's were never released, and kept by those trusted to distribute them?

People like you are why it's quite likely that a different distribution method will be used for this year's contest.

It really doesn't matter what method of distribution they use. Some people will take them and keep them just because they don't care what anyone thinks. They are the same people who park in loading zones, "No Parking" zones, and handicap spaces with no permit. They are the same people who won't walk 25 feet to return a shopping cart corral so you get a dent in your car. They are the same people who walk in front of you in line. The only people who matter to them are themselves. Personally I was raised with manners and courtesy so I move along any and all TBs I pick up.

I met a cacher last year who told me he had grabbed 2 unlogged YJTBs at a cache meet to keep. He didn't care that others might miss out on the fun or the contest because of his actions. I found a WJTB tag with no jeep. $1.98 at Walmart and the tag had a jeep once again and was on the go. But that's just me. I learned a long time ago that everyone wasn't raised to give two hoots like I was. Is there anything we can do about it? I just figure that if someone doesn't care about others there is nothing I can do to make them care.

Keep it.

What a silly way to justify theft. Even though the contest is over the bugs continue to promote Jeeps, they are advertisements and they are owned by Jeep.

If enough people steal them Jeep will decide it's a waste of ad money and they will stop holding contests.

All because people would rather steall a Jeep than buy one.

Jeep #1062 has been handed off. Thanks all for the discussion, debate, and hate mail.

I hope you reported the hate mail to TPTB. I see nothing wrong with holding one for awhile if you have a reason for doing so beyond simply stealing it. I held mine from February till June, it was just one thing after another and the weeks flew by, and I doubt Jeep even noticed the delay. It has been quite active since I dropped it though, and alot of fun to track.

Jeep #1062 has been handed off. Thanks all for the discussion, debate, and hate mail.

That is excellent hikergps, you did the right thing. :)

Yeah well, the contest was an interesting project. I don't really care for the angst it generated.

Too many trinkets, not enough recourse.

I personally have 2 YJTBs in my possession. Since both of their goals were to meet more geocachers I decided to take them to the Midwest Geobash to exchange with someone who may not have had the chance to see or log one of these guys. I don't think they should be kidnaped kept. Just because the contest is over doesn't mean that other geocachers wouldn't have a fun time finding one of these TBs in a cache. I mean Zygote you obviously liked finding these TBs in a cache why not share that enjoyment with other cachers by letting them travel more. By keeping one of these Jeep TBs forever just seems really selfesh to me. Just my $0.02

I actually emailed GC.com and never got a reply. So here I am asking this question on the forums and ducking the occasional bullet flying towards me from left field. As I stated before, the WJTB is on my '05 Jeep. It can be logged if you see me at a cache or event. Besides, the contest is over. What difference does it make if I have a few in my posession? You can't win anymore with them. So if TPTB can help out here, I can get an answer and close the topic.

If you weren’t trying to hide most of them in cache graveyards and such and had them listed as in your position I for one would not be so inclined to believe you were trying to pull something funny however by your actions you’re trying to pull a fast one and that bothers me. you state you have several your profile says different we can back track to see you dropped them into a cache but your didn’t so that makes you a geotheif and a liar