Cache Has Been Disabled For Awhile

There are some caches in my area (most owned by the same user) that have been disabled for a long time. To long. Such as the 24 of April, 3rd of June, and all the way up to the middle of April. By this time shouldn't they have been repaired? I know the GC guidelines state that they should be repaired within several weeks, and it has been several weeks. Does a GC mod take care of this, or does the cache have to be reported? I"m tired of seeing a line through every cache in my area :lol: .

There are some caches in my area (most owned by the same user) that have been disabled for a long time. To long. Such as the 24 of April, 3rd of June, and all the way up to the middle of April. By this time shouldn't they have been repaired? I know the GC guidelines state that they should be repaired within several weeks, and it has been several weeks. Does a GC mod take care of this, or does the cache have to be reported? I"m tired of seeing a line through every cache in my area :lol: .

3rd of June? That's only 2½ weeks ago. That's jumping the gun a bit. Three or four months? Then maybe there's a reason to complain.

I disagree with TAR's suggestion.

Remember, geocaching is just a hobby/recreation for most people. Before you suggest that caches which have been disabled for a just several weeks or less be archived, give consideration that the hider may have other, more pressing issues in their lives than fixing a cache. Sometimes families, jobs, etc. get in the way.

There have been times where my job has kept me out of town for nearly three months at a time with only brief visits home. On those visits, fixing a cache has to take a lower priority than family and other things. How would you want other cachers to treat you if it were you that had caches temporarily disabled?

Ooops - didn't catch that! Perhaps he means June of '05.

I think 30 days after an owner is notified (either by the third or fourth DNF being logged, a previous finder saying it's gone, a Needs Maintenance note that says it needs attention, etc.) if no action has been taken (either it's fixed or the owner posts a note that say "I'll get to it asap") it's time for it to go.

I think it should be temp disabled the moment an issue is identified, to save cachers wasted trips.

Fortunately, I think Reviewers are more patient than I!

A polite e-mail to the owner might reveal what the problem is.

I really think you should start here. A polite email may be all that is needed to either get a good answer why it remains disabled or to get the owner to archive it himself.

Post an SBA (Should Be Archived) note on each one, we don't need any more geolitter laying around.

Once you post an SBA your Reviewer will deal with it as is appropriate.

I can't agree going to this step without first contacting the owner. Of course, if it's been disabled for a year and the owner hasn't logged on in that time, you may be right. I would still email the owner first.

I recently disabled a cache of mine. It was hidden in an area that had just been purchased and the new owners were ripping out all of the planting and basically had a lot of workers with heavy equipment in the area. It remained disabled for 5 months as I kept an eye on the place a couple times each week. I recently reenabled the cache when it looked like the workers were finished.

I did, however, post a maintenance log about 3 months after disabling the cache to update that the work was still ongoing. But even had I not done that, I would gladly have explained it to anyone that had politely emailed me.

Fortunately, I think Reviewers are more patient than I!

I generally try to wait 4 months after disabling and then send a message and look for response within 1 month of that. However, even that sometimes backfires!

If you thought he was mad in his log on the cache page, you should have seen his email to me! Yikes!

Seems reasonable - then again, if the note was on the cache... I know some people who say they disable caches during the winter, during seasons the park isn't open that it is in, etc. Those make sense for longer than "a few weeks" disabled... Otherwise, 3-4 weeks should be enough time to go fix something, IMHO.

There are some caches in my area (most owned by the same user) that have been disabled for a long time. To long. Such as the 24 of April, 3rd of June, and all the way up to the middle of April. By this time shouldn't they have been repaired? I know the GC guidelines state that they should be repaired within several weeks, and it has been several weeks. Does a GC mod take care of this, or does the cache have to be reported? I"m tired of seeing a line through every cache in my area :D .

I have two (that I adopted) that's been down since mid-April. I just haven't had a chance to make it out to them to replace them. I plan on it every week and something comes up. I would send an e-mail to them and ask about it before doing much of anything. I would rather get an e-mail then a post on the page that it needs to be archived. I'd gotten one on the one by my house, and it really kinda struck me as odd. It'd only been down a month when I got it. I found out that the person was out caching and couldn't find it got home and found out then it was disabled. I won't say anything about my opinion on this, but like has been mentioned they may have other things come up and haven't been able to get to it, or other problems.

Don't forget that some caches get disabled due to outside influences. We have a cache that gets disabled for 4 months every winter when the Elk come lower on the mountain and the city closes the recreation area for the season.

And I'm with NoLemon- our caches always suffer during the summer when I'm barely home to take care of them. Life often gets in the way of caching. And often cachers have to prioritize family issues and work over their favorite recreational activity.

-J