Geocoin Confusion

Slainte

So, someone tell me about geocoins. Are they for trading? Collecting? Are they just like travel bugs? I found one in a cache and passed it on, but now I wonder if I should have held onto it. I've searched the geocoin section of the forums and have found little clear information. Thanks!

The reason for your confussion is that you are right on all accounts.

Some coins are nothing more than swag. You can trade for them and they are yours to keep.

Some are meant to travel, and so are treated like travel bugs.

You can't tell from the coin's tracking number because it may be swag just the same. You have to read the logs, or read the coins travel bug page to know for sure.

If you can't tell when you find a coin what the deal is, I'd just take it. When you get home and figure it out. If it's a traveler move it on, no harm. If it's a keeper and you want to keep it, leave something in another cache. What you don't want to have happen is to trade for the coin then get home and find that it's a traveler and so...you just wasted a good trade trying to be fair only to have to move the coin on.

If the coin has a code, it is like a Travel Bug and you don't need to trade for it. You can retrieve it, log it, and move it on.

Some coins are "trackable" on this site. It is rare to find many of these because they are expensive and lots of people take them and don't move them on. :anicute: I retrieved a USA coin and put it in a cache I thought would only be visited by experienced cachers who would treat the coin "correctly." I was wrong. It went missing before the next cacher visited the cache . . . :anicute:

If you go to an Event, you will probably meet some coin collectors and they will let you "Discover" their coins if you want the icons in your Profile.

We have a cacher here who creates fun Puzzles. He often leaves an unregistered coin in his caches as the FTF prize. :anicute: Those coins can be registered by the finder and moved on, or kept as the prize they are.

There are other coins that are "Trackable" on different sites. Those are a hassle to log . . . at least the most recent one I had from the Traveler Tag site was . . . I leave those in the cache for someone else to pick up, log, and move on if they want to.

Other coins that don't have a tracking number are swag. You can trade something for them and keep them.

Check out the Geocoin Forum. And . . . be forewarned. If you have the money, Geocoin collecting can become addicting . . . and very expensive. . .

My 2006 Colorado coins that I am putting out to travel have a small hole drilled in them and a keychain attached and a card that says aaaaaaaaaaaaaactivated by Team_Talisman.

Have anoter one of same coin that is a personal hand off to grab and travel.

2 of the Colorado coins will be kept by me permanently...One carried with me(activated) for use as a discovery coin when I meet other cachers and anot is unactivated setting in the FTF goblet I found very first try at geo caching.

Some of the Colorado coins will be put out in caches I am getting reading to stash...FTF will be an unactivated cColorado Coin 2006...

SO you see many ways to use the coins or You can just keep it.

Edited by Team_Talisman

Thanx for asking this question and the others for clarifying.

For some reason this topic is very vague for us newbies.

So if someone wants to distribute some coins do you have to be a member of a club or can you just get some made etc?

Yes on both accounts.

You can buy coins to release, or keep for yourself (check out the Geocoin forum).

Or you can also make your own, to release, keep, sell ... but this can get expensive (and has some rules about the coin, see this post for Groundspeak's current set of rules).