How Common Is It Not To Log?

Hi

I am a relative newbie both to this forum and geocaching (found 16 so far) and I wondered how common is it for people to find a cache and write in the log book but not to log the visit on the web site.

Given that you have to go on line to find out about the caches and (IMO) part of the interest in the game is to read what other people said of a cache, I would always assume people would log on line. However, at one of the caches we visited last Bank Holiday weekend (GCGQVR) we were the fourth people that day to write in the log book. When we got home we logged the visit and were surprised that noone else has logged for that day at all. I checked recently and we are still the only people who logged a visit that day.

Is this common?

We have recently hidden our first cache and are always very interested when we see we have had a visit.

In my experience the great majority of people log online. Sometimes, if you're in a holiday or tourist location logs appear days or weeks after the cache was found because the finder was on holiday and didn't have internet/WAP access to log their find at GC.com.

The most people who I've read the logs of which haven't been logged online were muggles who found the box and left a note. That seems to happen more than 'proper' cachers who just don't use GC.com to keep a record of their finds.

Hi

I am a relative newbie both to this forum and geocaching (found 16 so far) and I wondered how common is it for people to find a cache and write in the log book but not to log the visit on the web site.

There are a few oddballs out there that got so fed up with the way that geocaching had turned into a competitive number race that they stopped logging finds and went back to caching just for fun.

But they are few and far between. :anicute::anicute:

I'd say it's not all that common.

I've just gone through the logbook of a cache I adopted which was in place since 2002.

Only 3 cachers out of 70-something signed the logbook but didn't log online.

It also turns out this cache was visited by muggles on 10 seperate occasions, none of which trashed it in anyway!