What Is Geocaching ?

The GAS Project has recently become the GAS Society (GeocachingAlbertaSouth) when we undertook to incorporate as a society. The creation of a group that can use the words Society, Association or Organization as a descriptive term is governed under the Societies Act. If a group wishes to include one of the above words in a group name incorporation is required, in Alberta if you use one of those words without incorporating you are breaking the law!

In addition to that part of the name there is a descriptive term that is required, many examples are given, we might choose arborists, or rowers or golfers. Our group proposed that we use the word geocaching. This is apparently the first time Alberta's Corporate Registry has ever heard of geocaching!

Alberta Consumer and Corporate Affairs, Corporate Registry has informed us that we need to provide a definition of the descriptive term "geocaching" before we can be registered.

I refuse to say it is a treasure hunt. :D What if they checked :D

I decided to look at my standard cache card, I had a definition I wrote out awhile ago.

IF YOU FOUND THIS CONTAINER BY ACCIDENT:

It is part of a worldwide activity dedicated to GPS (Global Positioning System) users,

called Geocaching. This involves a GPS user hiding "a geocache" (this

container and its contents), and publishing the exact coordinates so other GPS

users can come and find it. If you take something from the cache please leave

something for the cache. If you write about your visit in the logbook others will

enjoy reading about your find.

You can also tells others about your “find” by going to http://www.geocaching.com The

geocache you have found is called

“Geocache Name Here” This geocache was placed June 2006

If you think geo-caching might be interesting you are welcome to join in.

Please do not move the container. Geocaching is creating adventure worldwide. There are similar geocaches placed all over the world. If this container needs to be removed simply make the request by visiting http://www.geocaching.com. Using the reference information above you will be able to contact the placer of this geocache.

As I reread it today it appears that I am saying that geocaching is the "hiding" of geocaches, am I wrong ?

I need it to be short so here is what I am thinking of sending-

Geocaching is an activity dedicated to GPS (Global Positioning System receivers) users. This activity involves a GPS user hiding a container with a logbook called a "geocache" and publishing the exact coordinates so other GPS users can come and find it.

What I would be saying is that the people who are involved in this activity are GPS users and the people who hide the "geocaches" are "geocaching". I am also defining the word geocache as a "hidden container that has a log book" Do I need to add anything else ? Half a pencil maybe. :D

Letterboxing and caching are fundamentally the same. GPS is a tool, nothing more. It's not needed. Cavers use flashlights and lantersn and they are truly invaluable for their fun, but their activity isn't about light.

Geocaching is the seeking and hiding of caches. Of course geocaching is more than that because it's also about scouting for hides, meeting people exploring and a buch of other things but tha'ts the simplest you can decribe it and keep it general enough to allow some growth.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Well, some thoughts on this is you don't need to use a GPS, but you do need to incorporate coordinates in the hunt somehow. While you don't need to use a GPS, the hunt gives you the option of using a GPS. Also, the hobby is certainly based and rooted on GPS use.

A container with a log can describe a lot of other things, as well.

Does the description have to be made in a single line? Can there be multiple lines?

Geocaching is an activity where hobbyists called geocachers locate objects called a geocache anywhere in the world which is publicly accessible and the location is described via global grid coordinates usable by a hand held GPS unit. A geocache is typically a container with a logbook used to record a geocacher's visit and sometimes objects designated for visitors to take, called trinkets or trade items, and then the visitor will leave a trinket of their own.

...or something along those lines.

Now if we can just avoid the sport/game/activity/hobby debate. Trust me, you don't want an official statement claiming the hobby is a game or sport.

Note: "Locate" is used as both "to place" and "to find."

EDIT: spelling

Edited by CoyoteRed

Spot on CR.

If you needed more, you could list a brief description of the main types of caches, travel items, and the social aspects of the "sport?"

???So Canada has copyrights on the words Society, Association or Organization??? Shoot. :anicute:

Edited by Jhwk
Does the description have to be made in a single line? Can there be multiple lines?

This is the first time I have been asked to describe geocaching for legal rather than recreational listeners. Defining a "descriptive term" could very well percolate, the definition could come back out anywhere/anytime, this is the government after all.

If I cover the basics I should be all right. I think the key thing when speaking to the government is not to leave out anything or put in anything that is not required and to make sure that the definition cannot be used as a weapon against geocaching or geocachers in some future incident and we are sure to have incidents. (bomb scares, people getting hurt etc...)

I like your off the cuff definition better than mine CR.

I have to go to work but appreciate the input.

Should I really remove the GPS reference RK ??

Well, some thoughts on this is you don't need to use a GPS, but you do need to incorporate coordinates in the hunt somehow. While you don't need to use a GPS, the hunt gives you the option of using a GPS. Also, the hobby is certainly based and rooted on GPS use.

A container with a log can describe a lot of other things, as well.

Geocaching is an activity where hobbyists called geocachers locate objects called a geocache anywhere in the world which is publicly accessible and the location is described via global grid coordinates usable by a hand held GPS unit. A geocache is typically a container with a logbook used to record a geocacher's visit and sometimes objects designated for visitors to take, called trinkets or trade items, and then the visitor will leave a trinket of their own.

...or something along those lines.

Now if we can just avoid the sport/game/activity/hobby debate. Trust me, you don't want an official statement claiming the hobby is a game or sport.

Note: "Locate" is used as both "to place" and "to find."

EDIT: spelling

Hm...to avoid the usage of the word "hobby", could the first bit be rephrased thusly:

Geocaching is an activity where participants, called geocachers, locate objects called a geocache anywhere in the world...

Hm...to avoid the usage of the word "hobby", could the first bit be rephrased thusly:

Geocaching is an activity where participants, called geocachers, locate objects called a geocache anywhere in the world...

While I do like your version better as it sounds more professional, I'm curious why "hobby" should be avoided.

While I do like your version better as it sounds more professional, I'm curious why "hobby" should be avoided.

[dream] Because one day we're all going to quit the day job and hunt tupperware full time for a living, sponsored by big breweries. [/dream]

I think he tried to avoid it since you said

If you want shorter, but you like the general thread of CR's statement, how about this:

Geocaching is an activity where participants ("geocachers") locate objects ("geocaches") anywhere in the world. The location is publicly accessible and is described via global grid coordinates usable by a hand held GPS unit. A geocache is typically a container with a logbook used to record a geocacher's visit and sometimes objects designated for visitors to trade ("trinkets" or "trade items"; i.e., children's toys, carabiners).

I'm still thinking about how to re-phrase the 2nd sentence so that non-cachers/non-surveyors could make sense of it. (or, maybe, your government officials are a bit better than ours at making sense of things?)

edit: sorry, just had to change one word...

Edited by Beffums

The GAS Project has recently become the GAS Society (GeocachingAlbertaSouth) when we undertook to incorporate as a society. The creation of a group that can use the words Society, Association or Organization as a descriptive term is governed under the Societies Act. If a group wishes to include one of the above words in a group name incorporation is required, in Alberta if you use one of those words without incorporating you are breaking the law!

If you are almost there, then by all means keep going. Otherwise I do not believe what you have said here is entirely true. I know of no such law that requires an organization or group to incorporate and in fact very few groups I know of are incorporated.

The advice you received was not necessarily wrong, just perhaps incomplete. If you want to be a charitable society with that ability to provide tax receipts then yes I would agree with incorporation. Otherwise there is no reason to incorporate. I work for a big 5 bank as a business acct manager. I open accts for unincorporated societies all the time. There's no way every little minor sports organiz or 4H club is going to be incorporated.

You should be able to do a name search at most vehicle licencsing agents. Obtaining a trade name and incorporating are totally different issues.

Best of luck to you...how far does your group cover now? I just started and live in Lethbridge. Hope to hear from you.

I know of no such law that requires an organization or group to incorporate and in fact very few groups I know of are incorporated.

Hello whitetailfan

You are correct, there is no law that requires any group to incorporate.

Like the Business Incorporations Act, the Societies Act protects certain terms under law. A club cannot use the words Society, Association or Organization as part of a name, just as sole proprietorships cannot use Company, Corporation, Inc. or Limited as part of a business name.

In order to use the word Society, Association or Organization you must incorporate.

Incorporated societies have no great advantage over clubs except when it comes to seeking donations for activities and events. It is far easier to get others to help and to solicit donations when it benefits a Society as opposed to a private club. In addition, dealing with other entities like the City and Provincial governments the use of the word Society, Association or Organization assures that your club has some additional stature. These two advantages cannot be overstated, especially for geocaching, as our activity begins to rise above the radar and starts to attract official notice.

We are in the final stages of incorporating and we will be making changes to the website to allow people to join the Society. There are a fair number of active geocachers in the Alberta South area. If you look at the GAS website and take the Forums link it actually leads to a chat forum for Lethbridge geocachers hosted by Lethbridge local GarAr. Once we are set up here in Medicine Hat our group will gladly act as an umbrella and we will actually be seeking others who want to form a GAS chapter.

At the end of the day our intention is to set up a couple of Event Caches every year where we can concentrate our promotional efforts. We intend to make our primary contact through email. We will host special activities on an ad hoc basis. The GAS geocoin will probably be part of the picture but our primary purpose will be attracting participants and keeping them interested.

We have all the forms signed, the searches done and the last papers are sitting here in front of me waiting to go in, I only need to define geocaching for the government. :D

I don't think I can avoid starting my "simplest" description of geocaching without saying someone hides a container with a log book, describes the location using coordinates and calls it a geocache, then another person comes along and finds the container using the coordinates, the minimum required factors are a container, a logbook, a hide, a hider, a seeker and coordinates. I don't need swag or a GPS or trading, it doesn't even need to be found. Notice how I avoided mentioning the signing of the logbook as well.

Geocaching is an activity where someone hides a container with a log book called a geocache. The location where they have hidden the geocache is described using coordinates. Other people seek the container using the coordinates to determine the location where the geocache is hidden.

Well, if the government (US) wants to know then:

Geocaching is a ground roots effort by the concerned citizenry of this nation to place necessary provisions in secret locations around the country in case of terrorist attack or natural disaster. Should in the unfortunate event that all McDonalds were to be destroyed by such a disaster, geocaches may be our only source for the much needed and essential McToy.

There, do you think we can get a FEMA or Homeland Security grant now?

Well, if the government (US) wants to know then:

Geocaching is a ground roots effort by the concerned citizenry of this nation to place necessary provisions in secret locations around the country in case of terrorist attack or natural disaster. Should in the unfortunate event that all McDonalds were to be destroyed by such a disaster, geocaches may be our only source for the much needed and essential McToy.

There, do you think we can get a FEMA or Homeland Security grant now?

:cry::cry::cry:

I believe that you will find that a geocache, to be listed on geocaching.com, must incorporate the use of a GPS.

While you CAN find anything without a GPS, to be legal in our context the hunt must 'require' GPS usage.

Your Reviewer can verify if my belief is true or not.

Ed

I'm not privy to any official word on the subject, but I believe that while the hobby is based on GPS use what is required is actually grid coordinates usable by a GPS. I've also read where the requirement was the hunter must have the option of using a GPS unit. Neither implied that one had to use a GPS.

On the other hand, I do believe a GPS must be used in order to place the cache and determine its coordinates for an accurate listing. IIRC, this was to prevent folks from eye balling the location on a topo map or online mapping site.

I think he tried to avoid it since you said

DOH! I see what was being said now. Sorry! :cry: