Seeding My Own Caches With Tb's I Have Found

brodiebunch

If I understand you correctly, you are putting other people TBS in your caches to draw visitors to your caches, yes?

I don't usually put other people's TBs in my own caches unless I just happen to be there doing some maintenance. But as long as you aren't holding onto the TBs for a long time just so you can draw people out to your caches, I don't really see any harm in what you are doing.

You have a lot of your own TBs out and about circulating, too, I see. I am envious! I have some tags sitting here, just waiting for celver ideas to get them started.

If I understand you correctly, you are putting other people TBS in your caches to draw visitors to your caches, yes?

I don't usually put other people's TBs in my own caches unless I just happen to be there doing some maintenance. But as long as you aren't holding onto the TBs for a long time just so you can draw people out to your caches, I don't really see any harm in what you are doing.

You have a lot of your own TBs out and about circulating, too, I see. I am envious! I have some tags sitting here, just waiting for celver ideas to get them started.

Its almost always someone elses TB's that we drop off. Actually I do maintenance on the caches when I drop off the TB's if its needed so we are in a way attempting to attract finds. Perhaps we are numbers driven in the opposite manner. hmmmm?

We have close to 30 TB's out there, but we have a mortality rate of about 33% too: MIA or the cache our were in was muggled. Part of the game.....

Its almost always someone elses TB's that we drop off. Actually I do maintenance on the caches when I drop off the TB's if its needed so we are in a way attempting to attract finds. Perhaps we are numbers driven in the opposite manner. hmmmm?

If the bug sits there for a couple months you might want to go retrieve it, but as long as you aren't harvesting TBs and moving them against their goals it's no big deal.

Seeding your own caches with other people's TB's seems consistent with the spirit of the game to me. Since the goal of most TB's is to get around, it serves to accomplish this. Many people visit caches just because they see they have TB's in them. Seems a good way to help get a TB movin'. We sometimes give TB's directly to other cachers, so what would be wrong with having them go to a cache to get them?

I grabbed a TB from a cache for the first time the other week thinking that I could get him moving. But most of the caches I have run into have been micros or otherwise too small for the TB so I am just holding on to it. If I had my own caches I would have put him in one of them by now just to get him to someone else.

Consulting the Geocaching Tome that has been handed down from our great cacher ancestors reveal the answer.

"When one finds oneself with a bug which one is at risk of keeping too long one may place said but in ones own cache"

"When one finds oneself seeking out bugs for which to place in once own caches for no others sake but thine own, then one must stop lest your caching neighbors become angry and seek retribution".

Something like that.

We geocache pretty regularly but are not numbers driven. We also have 15 geocaches with a number of them that can go for periods of inactivity, especially in the winter. We do drop them off in others peoples caches too.

Do others do this or is it just us (or me mostly)?

The closest caches to me are my own -- and I ussually can find them real quick. So if it means that I am moving a Travel Bug, I will often grab or drop Travel Bugs from my own caches. In fact, I normally post in our local forums when I am going on a business trip and have locals drop any bugs that need help into one of my nearby caches so I can take them along.

Which lead to an interesting conversation with a San Diego police officer once.....another time, another time.....

If I have a long distance plan for a TB, I'll email the owner for permission to hold it.

If I don't have an upcoming trip, but can't get to a cache in a while (three weeks?) , I'll drop it off in the nearest to home of my caches.

I won't harvest bugs though, with the sole intent of taking them to bring traffic to my caches.