Generic Found Logs

nutlady

If everyone had their way, every cache would have to be an ammo can, you would have to leave some spectacular swag better than what you took (by the way, if everyone always traded up, eventually you wouldn't be able to afford to cache), take a picture of yourself (WITH the container and your GPSr), leave a DNA sample to prove you REALLY found it, leave a fingerprint ON the container (whoops, I mean IN the container) to further prove you didn't give your DNA sample or a fingerprint card to someone else, write an essay, leave behind a media card digitally signed by a private key (issued by a trusted CA, of course), free all the travel bugs, CITO the entire forest, then log your cache online, complete with all of the digital photographic evidence, a picture of your legal signature in the log book and a 1000 word manifesto rating the cache for potential future finders. :lol:

Edit - One more thing: after all of that, your find count would remain unchanged or undisplayed, because it isn't about the numbers.

Finally!!! Someone who really knows how caching should be done. TFTP. :P

I tend to type several lines talking about the find, and then if it is part of a trip or a series of caches that I did, I will cut/paste on the end something like "#/# for the trip, TFTC!" - but try to vary the first part of it based on the cache.

There definitely are a number of caches where there isn't much to say. "Got it out of the lightpole - made sure no one was watching. Had a fun type opening the film can, extracting the baggie, and unrolling the mile long piece of paper. Finally got it flat enough to sign my name and date, and then had just as much fun rolling it back up. Then, the best part - putting it back in the baggie. Downhill from there... it just isn't as much fun putting it back in the pole and having to say goodbye to such a fun, creative cache!" - I just don't see me typing anything like that for this one! haha

I like most folks enjoy reading a great log entry for any cache I hide, but the reality is I hid the cache because I wanted to. Some I hid because I enjoyed the spot, some because I wanted to experiment with a hiding technique, and some just because I wanted to hide something.

How a finder chooses to log a find on the cache is irrelevant to me. Hopefully they had a good time finding the cache, hopefully they got a bit of exercise, hopefully they found a reason to smile on the trip. They can log it "TNLN", cut and paste the entry "1 of 500 finds for the day", or write a sequel to a book. The fact they actually visited a spot I wanted someone to visit is all that is important to me.

I'm pretty much with Briansnat. I'll leave a detailed log for a fun cache, but really, there's not much to write about a parking lot lamppost hide. How much detail can you really go into?

"I saw her from across the parking lot. Just standing there, glistening in the hot summer sun. I knew at once I had to have her; she would be mine. Slowly I cruised over in my car, windows down, radio playing soft, romantic music. I pulled up next to her, got out of my car, but didn't say a word. I looked at her, and she just stood there, almost beckoning, taunting, teasing me. I knew what I wanted, and she had it. But would she give it away to a stranger? I was going to find out, regardless of the consequences. I began my approach, never taking my eyes off her. Slowly, but confidently I advanced. She didn't move an inch. It was as if she was saying "its all up to you, friend". Suddenly, I was beside her. I put one hand out, and touched her. She was hot, and smooth as a baby's bottom. I knew it was now or never, there was no turning back. I put my hands on her skirt, and pulled it straight up to see what was hidden beneath it. There it was, staring me in the face, only inches away. Slowly, cautiously, I reached out and grabbed it. Finally!! The cache was mine! Quickly signed the log, put the film can back under the skirt and was on my way. Thanks for the cache!"

:cry:

Wow, mind if I use that so as to not annoy folks like fizzymagic and 9key?

Ok, Im back. I have LOVED the responses. I didnt start this thread about my caches..not totally. There is a cacher in my area that ALWAYS hides ingenious hides and hes gotten his share of TFTC as well. Thats what really burned my bun. I was looking for one of his that had the ho-hum....TFTC on it, and I was skunked. Reading that for the last 3 logs made me think it was a lame hide. So, it skunked me. In fact, this cacher had taken ALOT OF Time, and trouble on this cache. It was incredibally creative, and all he got was a TFTC.

Someone else pointed out that on a lamp post skirt hide, well, what do you write. And I have read two really clever posts to that. WOWSA! Vinnie and Sue, and the other one...you know who you are....with sexual induendo....HA!

Anyway, thanks to you all!

Nutlady, you wouldn't want to read the post I would have written today on a cache of yours that I didn't find :grin: .

But I agree with almost everything that has been written in this topic.

No one cares if one of their lame caches gets a response or not. But, when a cache has obviously had a lot of thought and time put into it, a comment of some type other than Thx or TFTC is the least that could be asked for.

I too have cut and paste on occasion but even on those high number days I try to praise any noteworthy caches, I guess as more of a thanks to the cacher who placed it and an encouragement for them to do more.

But see, Mr Muirman, you have created some really ingenious hides also, along with Nutlady. We (my Portervillan team and I) like to find yours because they are fun, ingenious, or even if it is a micro bush hide like some of Fresgo's, they are at least Historical Interest or something. I like to mention SOMETHING about the cache, even if it is that I broke a nail trying to de-wedge the thing. I believe the cacher to whom Nutlady is referring is doing so many in a day, that they are unable to do anything other than a cut and paste type log. And besides, not every person is gifted in any kind of verbosity. I take great pride in attempting to describe things with some sort of obscure vocabules.

I agree with you RWD PFD, and I think that cacher in question wouldn't be quite so disappointing if the condescention of others wasn't so frequent in their cut/pasted log entries.

I know just how you feel. It makes me feel like the cacher has no real regard for the cache or its creator. Both are just one more number. It's the longer detailed logs that keep me hiding. :grin:

it's so good to read this stuff, :grin:

when I started I knew zip about this, my son led me with his gps. He told me you write TNLN or what you took. left and maybe TFTC - what's all that mean? I asked? And obeyed like a good mama. I started noticing the logs. Some people wrote a little more than that so I started to do that. Then I found out about the forums! Hey reading the website helps ;) and now I'm writing even more. My dd is learning to do the same though she will never be the sort who writes a lot. When she's logging something at my house, I tell her now you gotta write a few sentences!

I have to say that for me, the logs are THE reason I place caches. I really enjoy hearing how other people enjoy my caches. I have had a few cut and paste logs, but most have been really great. I have started private dialogues with several cachers who routinely drive over to my neck of the woods for first to finds. I've traveled to their part of the woods just to find their stuff as a courtesy and have yet to be disappointed.

The logs really are the only pay we received for hiding caches. I think it's important to take the time to make each one personal.

If everyone had their way, every cache would have to be an ammo can, you would have to leave some spectacular swag better than what you took (by the way, if everyone always traded up, eventually you wouldn't be able to afford to cache), take a picture of yourself (WITH the container and your GPSr), leave a DNA sample to prove you REALLY found it, leave a fingerprint ON the container (whoops, I mean IN the container) to further prove you didn't give your DNA sample or a fingerprint card to someone else, write an essay, leave behind a media card digitally signed by a private key (issued by a trusted CA, of course), free all the travel bugs, CITO the entire forest, then log your cache online, complete with all of the digital photographic evidence, a picture of your legal signature in the log book and a 1000 word manifesto rating the cache for potential future finders. :rolleyes:

Edit - One more thing: after all of that, your find count would remain unchanged or undisplayed, because it isn't about the numbers.

:rolleyes::(:)

I'm pretty much with Briansnat. I'll leave a detailed log for a fun cache, but really, there's not much to write about a parking lot lamppost hide. How much detail can you really go into?

"I saw her from across the parking lot. Just standing there, glistening in the hot summer sun. I knew at once I had to have her; she would be mine. Slowly I cruised over in my car, windows down, radio playing soft, romantic music. I pulled up next to her, got out of my car, but didn't say a word. I looked at her, and she just stood there, almost beckoning, taunting, teasing me. I knew what I wanted, and she had it. But would she give it away to a stranger? I was going to find out, regardless of the consequences. I began my approach, never taking my eyes off her. Slowly, but confidently I advanced. She didn't move an inch. It was as if she was saying "its all up to you, friend". Suddenly, I was beside her. I put one hand out, and touched her. She was hot, and smooth as a baby's bottom. I knew it was now or never, there was no turning back. I put my hands on her skirt, and pulled it straight up to see what was hidden beneath it. There it was, staring me in the face, only inches away. Slowly, cautiously, I reached out and grabbed it. Finally!! The cache was mine! Quickly signed the log, put the film can back under the skirt and was on my way. Thanks for the cache!"

:D

Wow. Just wow.

We have gotten a lot more selective about the caches we hunt for. Yes, we have found lamp post micros, or ones in walmart parking lots, but we sure don't go out and make a day of it. Even if there is one near the park we are caching in, we usually ignore it. We usually prefer ones that make us think or hunt a bit (in the woods, preferably), and enjoy being out for the day, or a few hours. We aren't in it for racking up numbers with a day of 30 or more micros. If we want to get them off our list, we can ignore them so we don't see them cluttering up our search pages. Some people like them, we usually don't hunt for them.

We try to hide our caches creatively, or in a really neat area we want to bring people to. We look forward to the logs people post, but are disappointed when they don't have anything to say other than "tftc" or something similar. We have made an effort to bring them somewhere and share something we found, not just another place for a micro because we can put one within .1 miles of another cache.