Turtles - Turles Crossing Everywhere

ok jake, maybe i get the email now...i thought i had joined this group from the 'groups list' but i wasnt on the list....now i am, but i see that you are not. now only 1 more is needed for probation revokation.

i will be an officer, but do NOT want to lead it.

this might be a good example for an auto approve category, but then begs the question: 'how far apart do the marks need to be to be classified as seperate?

i post one, and what, a quarter of a mile away some one posts another? would that be valid? i would think that these marks encompass quite some distance AROUND the posted coordinates.....

i am verclempt, discuss amongst yourselves....(sorry, i cant spell too well)

ChapterhouseInc

i will be an officer, but do NOT want to lead it.

The same goes for me as well,

...and as "chstress53 - Officer 1 " posted --->I'll be an officer, and I am willing to assist in any editing of the Category; but can not be the leader as I am at my Max for Category ownerships. Since I am first When adopt me quits the group I will step down as leader and the next person would be promoted. <---

As this 'Category' might be of limited interest, but might appeal to the young ones, what we need is a person that is willing to let his/her name stand as a 'Leader for this 'Category'

I can only be an"Officer" as I am also at my (present) limit. :anicute:

BTW- I fail to understand why anyone would go to the extend of setting up a "Category" and then abandon it without a word of explanation.

:anicute:Turtle Crossing Category Page :anicute:

WalruZ Posted Today, 08:52 AM

I was never really all that crazy about this category because the waymarks can't typically be visited. I see that as being an important part of the game. ephemeral waymarks don't work for me.

I am in total agreement with WalruZ on this one. The "Turtle Crossing" Category is akin to suggesting a Moving Waymarks idea.

If I want to visit any Waymark, I should be able to expect to see the item at the listed coordinates. This one seems more like a 'one-timer', like the Yellow Jeep was.

There are other Categories like Turtles is... "Celebrity Hangouts" is not quite the same, at least it is a static location that celebrities MIGHT come to. But even it has only 2 listings, despite the prevalence of Hard Rock Cafe/Planet Hollywood locations.

I'm sorry, I see this Turtle Category as nothing more than "I built a snowman here three years ago, come see where it melted". If the snowman was always there, then I could get behind this idea.

:cry: The Blue Quasar

A turtle Crossing is not just a one time happening. There is a location that is permanent and if someone returns to that location at the correct time they will see babies cross back. Someone can also return again the following year as turtles take the same path to lay eggs as in previous years. This just needs to be addressed on the Category description page.

Something like

Why did the turtle cross the road?

Do a turtle a favor and help it across the road.

"Watch out for mother turtles crossing the road during the summer when they seek higher ground to lay their eggs. Please avoid hitting them and if possible, you might want to help the turtle cross the road. But remember to always move turtles in the direction they are headed. If they are moved back to the side from which they were crossing, they will just try to cross the road again in the same place. And do not forget to come back again next year and see if you can watch this happen again. Or come back in a day or two and watch the turtle return to the water after laying her eggs. Miracle of miracle the the turtles will cross back over the same route to return to the water each and every year at the same time of year..

Once the eggs hatch be on the watch out for babies crossing the road headed for the water, along the vary same path that the mother took. "Mother Blanding had made her nest between the goldenrod and bluestem outside my office window late last June.

By chance we were sitting on the porch when we noticed little blandings in the same location we had seen the mother take 2 months earlier.

As a naturalist I can say with authority that this is most definetly not a moving location and if searchers had good info on the waymark page someone intersted in watching nature up close and personnal could come back at just the right time and witness a wonderful natural occurence. over and over again year after year in the same location , ( That is why Turtle Crossing signs are installed at some locations because the turtles are in the same place every year and could be visited by finders of this waymark. the trick is it must be the right time of year for that particular species. links to species info both on the Category page and the Waymarking page would be essential so finders could ID the turtle and sonmone interested could also discover when to look for the babies.