Need Help Connecting Etrex Legend To Laptop

I usually just load everthing from my desktop because our laptop only has a 15 pin serial (why I don't know because nothing we have uses this serial port size) so I bought a usb/serial converter to use for both my legend and my palm IIIxe. Well, I installed the driver for the usb converter, it says it is in com 4. When I go into GSAK I have clicked serial 4 (not usb because that didn't work when I tried it, and it says for a serial converter to click serial port) but it will NOT recognize that my legend is there! I am at my wits end!

We are going on vacation in a few days and I really need all this stuff to work with each other. Please help me!!!

I usually just load everthing from my desktop because our laptop only has a 15 pin serial (why I don't know because nothing we have uses this serial port size) so I bought a usb/serial converter to use for both my legend and my palm IIIxe. Well, I installed the driver for the usb converter, it says it is in com 4. When I go into GSAK I have clicked serial 4 (not usb because that didn't work when I tried it, and it says for a serial converter to click serial port) but it will NOT recognize that my legend is there! I am at my wits end!

We are going on vacation in a few days and I really need all this stuff to work with each other. Please help me!!!

This is a bit confusing.

The cord on my brand-new Legend is serial (so was the older unit). I have a serial to usb converter and its drivers. Used it for an older PDA too.

The line from GPSr to PC: the Garmin 4pin sideways plug, several feet of wire, a nine pin female plug, ---a matching male plug, the converter, several inches of cable, a USB plug --- (fitting into an empty USB on the PC). (" ---...---" =>the converter) It shows as com 5 on my laptop.

Fifteen pin plugs are usually video on new laptops (last 5-10 years); for an external monitor. My converter was made by IConcepts. Got it at one of the major computer stores about $15.00US.

Got any more information?

sorry it came out so confusing. Yes- the setup I have is the same as yours. Usually I use it on my desktop and plug it into the serial port. It has always worked fine. This is my first attempt at using it on my laptop, and first time using it with the usb adapter, but it wont connect to the computer. I don't know if it is for some reason a problem with my config in GSAK or with the new serial/usb adapter. Does that make any sense?

Hi Treasure Hunters,

Did you set you Main Menu / Setup / Interface / mode to "GARMIN"?

For something like M$ Streets and Trips it has to be set to NMEA In/NMEA Out.

Let us know if this helps.

JohnTee

:huh: I figured it out! apparently the hotsync program for my pda was blocking all other transmissions for that port. I disabled hotsync and bam! it worked! Yipee!!

That's the nature of USB; especially on laptops. You can plug many items into the ports, but communicate reliably with only one, sometimes two at any given time. I must be particularly carefull with any external harddrive and printing-the printer will hang the entire system if the disk needs any kind of routine maintainence signal-most do. You may also experience problems with a pcmcia (cardbus device:modem, extra ports, card readers, small harddrives) device and USB. PCMCIA is a fading technology but it's present if you have a long thin slot on the side of the laptop and you don't typically know what to do with it.

Glad you got yours working!