Washington, Dc - Any "must Do" Caches?

Henki

We're considering a short trip to Washington, DC for the 4th of July weekend, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend "must do" caches in the area. We probably wouldn't have much time for caching, but I'd like to hit at least one.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Sadies Secret Spot is popular. Also, I have 4 "spy hard" caches that are all pending approval. They are in locations of interest having to do with the rich history of espionage in DC. The approvals process seems to be slow, but hopefully they will be up. Look for any cache that starts with "Spy Hard"

We're considering a short trip to Washington, DC for the 4th of July weekend, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend "must do" caches in the area. We probably wouldn't have much time for caching, but I'd like to hit at least one.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Actually, I got six in the review queue now. It is taking a loooonnnggg time to get reviewed (72 hours my ***)

With his 4 caches, there are only 70 in DC meaning you should be able to do them all on a good day! :lol::P

(Well, except for maybe that dadgum monday only one... I'll let you know if you can, we're going to try to clear cut DC Sat!)

Last stop for a weary traveler GCK12J Virtual !!!

My all time fav. Virtual! :cry:

I'll have to check out those other spy caches mentioned as we'll be back there this Aug.

Anyone know if the MLKjr memorial is up yet & if it's a virt.??? I'll have to do that one on the White house lawn ha?! :cry:

Well, I think besides any caches that popped up in the last week or so the three tough ones are:

Time Marches on: could take months.

Old Four Eyes: ends up in Virginia, just across the river though.

Row The potomac: seems this one is heavily avoided by even local cachers, maybe it is the water?

Truly most of the virtuals are worth visiting though some of them have no real value except for being there and there is no logging requirement. Which is what I think is one of the many reasons that Virtuals have gone the way of the caveman.

But to be honest any Bigcall and Joecthulu virtuals are well worth it as well as any in Arlington cemetary.

My favorites? Mile Zero is my favorite along with Time Marches on.

flyingmoose

I had posted a cache earlier this year, though it got destrouyed beyond repair within D.C. and I must have waited a week before approval. I am glad to see D.C. locals placing some though. I will then wait for your others to pop up before I drive right on in.

flyingmoose

Actually, I got six in the review queue now. It is taking a loooonnnggg time to get reviewed (72 hours my ***)

With his 4 caches, there are only 70 in DC meaning you should be able to do them all on a good day! :P:ph34r:

(Well, except for maybe that dadgum monday only one... I'll let you know if you can, we're going to try to clear cut DC Sat!)

I'd suggest The Silent City (GCQYTG), it is a great multi up on Capitol Hill, just a few Metro stops ride up from the Mall (near Potomac Ave. Metro on Orange and Blue lines). Bring a printed copy of the cache page though, as you need to reference it to compute the coordinates of the various stages!

Also, be aware that on July 4th, and possibly prior to the 4th, there will be access restrictions to certain areas of the Mall (WWII Memorial may be closed?), which may make some of the virtual caches down there temporarily unavailable. You will also likely have to enter the Mall through limited access points and pass through some sort of security screening, which will at least involve a bag check, and may involve metal detectors.

For more suggestions on caches, see my posts and some of the others in this older thread.

Right now we're trying to decide if we can still pull off this trip with all the flooding going on up that way. We're scheduled to fly out there on Friday, but we've had enough flooding to last us a lifetime!

If we make it out there, we'll have 3 days for seeing the sights. Since my husband's not a cacher and can't understand the obsession my daughter and I have for the sport, our caching will more than likely be limited to the virtuals at monuments we'll be visiting anyway. But I do have all the caches loaded into my GPSr and my Palm just in case we happen to be steps away from a cache. :ph34r:

The Awakening is one that was recommended to me recently. I don't know that we'll get over that way, but I checked out the cache page and photos and would love to see that one in person!

If we make it out there, we'll have 3 days for seeing the sights. Since my husband's not a cacher and can't understand the obsession my daughter and I have for the sport, our caching will more than likely be limited to the virtuals at monuments we'll be visiting anyway. But I do have all the caches loaded into my GPSr and my Palm just in case we happen to be steps away from a cache. :)

You can't go more than like 5 feet w/o bumping into 3 virtuals in that city. Keep the gps and the palm on. You'll log many even if you're just doing the tourist stuff!

You can't go more than like 5 feet w/o bumping into 3 virtuals in that city. Keep the gps and the palm on. You'll log many even if you're just doing the tourist stuff!

That's what I figured. I'm putting new batteries in the GPSr tonight!

Well, we're back and had a great time, but, man, are our feet killing us! We only got to do 5 of the virtuals, but we saw some great stuff.

I do have a suggestion for those of you in the area who are also into Waymarking. I noticed that there are very few waymarks in the area, but that most (if not all) of the museums would fit the bill. I created waymarks for the Air & Space Museum and the American History Museum, but lost my coordinates for the Natural History Museum. If anyone wants to add that the History Museum Category, it would be a great addition!