Who Has Your Coin And Isn't Moving It?

Lemon Fresh Dog

JOKING JOKING!!!!! :):):rolleyes::rolleyes:<_<

DO NOT NAME ANYONE HERE!!!!!! (read the forum guidelines if you are wondering why)

However, the real quesiton I have is: How long to you let a coin have no activity and/or do not hear from the person that supposedly has it prior to marking it as "Unknown".

I have several coins that were found by folks with 10 finds, 2 trackables and haven't logged in since May. I sort of assume the worst since the coin hasn't moved in 8 months. How long should I wait.

(oh....yes, I did send and e-mail -- no response and/or bounce back -- I have several in similar situations)

If they have less than 20 finds I would email within 2 weeks and even offer to pick it up or pay for it to be mailed back to you.

If they have lots of finds and are still active then I wait longer, I have one coin right now that has been in the cachers hands or over 3 weeks, the only thing I dont get is they went caching yesterday but did not drop my coin, oh well.

Lemon Fresh Dog has 3 of my.....oops!!

I typically only wait 2-3 weeks before contacing somebody with a polite "Saw you picked up my XXXX, I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. Thanks for moving it along".

If nothing after multiple emails, etc. Then I just wait and see. If it's in somebody's hands, I don't bother marking it as "Unknown".

I had PA coin that I dropped off in Hawaii, then immediately went to New Zealand and then on to Findland. I wrote the last finder of the cache and he did not recall seeing it in there. THE BAD NEWS IS EVEN DRILLED IT, ATTACHED A MASTER LOCK (albeit small but not by no means flimsy) AND ONE OF THE GEOSWAG DOG TAGS!!! So I don't know who has it and it ain't moving. I will not release another one. I just trade unactivated ones for swag. I would rather give them away then have them stolen.

I lost a coin while out hiking in the park, a it got passed around a few muggles then stopped, there isn't really anything i can do about it since i dont have the emails as none of the people who logged it were cachers.

a freind of mine who I got into caching has also been in possestion a one of those ballon coins, for over a month, I keep telling him to get it moving again, but he doesn't. I tried being nice and explaining to him it was making me mad too seeing as if it wasnt fr me he wouldn't have found the coin, but he still doesn't move it. He told me the owner of the coin never contacted him yet

I lost a coin while out hiking in the park, a it got passed around a few muggles then stopped, there isn't really anything i can do about it since i dont have the emails as none of the people who logged it were cachers.

a freind of mine who I got into caching has also been in possestion a one of those ballon coins, for over a month, I keep telling him to get it moving again, but he doesn't. I tried being nice and explaining to him it was making me mad too seeing as if it wasnt fr me he wouldn't have found the coin, but he still doesn't move it. He told me the owner of the coin never contacted him yet

You guys should keep in mind that some cachers (me) are very forgetful. Even though I may be out caching, that's no guarantee that I didn't forget any TBs/coins at home. I recently started carrying a geocaching backpack, so I generally have such things on me now...but I still forget occasionally.

Apparently someone ripped off both a TB (not mine) and one of my coins from Skyline Cache and never even logged it. And this is not a cache that is likely to get muggled so I strongly suspect it was a cacher. Plus the last logger didn't say it had been trashed, just that the TB and coin were missing.

Arrrghhh!

Anon :huh:

I have(had) a Toronto coin in the race and its logged into a cache but the last few finders haven't seen it. I e-mailed the owner to check for it and they replied but haven't gone to there cache yet. I have a TB that was taken to the LA coast days before Katrina hit and I pretty much wrote it off. It survived the storm but took almost 9 months to get it moving again.

Edited by Shilo

I know that a lot of coins go missing -- most of mine that go missing though are showing as being in a cache and then the next finder says "Didn't see the coin in there" -- ussually I mark those as "unknown" pretty quick.

The strange ones are the ones that show as being in a cachers hands. I mean, do folks really take and log a coin as being in their possession and never move it again? That's wierd. It's almost as if they are confessing to haven taken it.

I had regular old USA 2005 go missing on it's first drop. Funny thing is, the cacher that dropped it in there also dropped one of his TBs. When I got the "didn't see coin" log, I went to check it out. The coin was gone, and so was his TB tag, but the TB was left behind. Who would steal a TB tag? You can't reuse it. . . Hmmm, unless the physical TB was a decoy . . .

:huh:

Just lost a Tennessee coin, after it's first hop from Minneapolis to Washington, DC. Here's the log entry from the physical log book:

"6/10/2006 Chris, Jeff, Lew, Marty, Mike. Nothing like geocaching for your batchlor party. Nice cache guys. Took the geocoin, left funny Biz card."

And of course, no logs on the website and no action on the coin. As a couple people have pointed out, the people that took it pr'bly don't remember the cache OR the coin, depending on how the party went. I must say, that was a unique one - who knows, maybe it'll show up again?

:huh:

Edited by FSU*Noles

Well, *I*, for one, am not afraid to name names! At least, the one name that I am sure of: ours!! I'm embarrassed to admit that we have either lost or misplaced a Tom4Props USA geocoin :rolleyes: I've looked everywhere that I can think of for it, but no luck. Have to hope that we dropped it into a cache, somewhere, and it just hasn't been picked up.

As for Bugs and coins of ours, we've had a few T-Bugs side-tracked, but the vast majority of more than 50 of them are still out there. One was in stasis for a couple of years, but it suddenly popped up and has been moving a lot in the few months since <_< We also have a number of the Canadian geocoins which are trackable on their website, but not GC.com; some of those have been put on someone's trophy shelf, and we've given permission for most of those. To be honest, at $4 apiece, that's not much more than a couple of HotWheels, or a souvenir magnet, or whatever, so if a geocoin winds up in someone's hands permanently, we don't think of it as that big of a deal. None of the trackable-on-GC coins of ours are missing (yet), but we've not been really into them all that much until fairly recently. I rarely bother to write to the last person to log a Bug or coin; so far, no one to whom I've written has ignored us :huh: