Regular Group Member

I recently joined some groups that I am interested in. Most I stayed a regular member and a couple I was promoted to officer. In one group I was promoted to officer then hours later my membership was revoked and the group was then closed to new members. This got me thinking. What is the role of a regular member in a group?

I recently joined some groups that I am interested in. Most I stayed a regular member and a couple I was promoted to officer. In one group I was promoted to officer then hours later my membership was revoked and the group was then closed to new members. This got me thinking. What is the role of a regular member in a group?

Moral support - at least for now. Once the new forums are completed you'll have access to that Group's private discussions. The "Demote this Member" voting will probably see its first use shortly thereafter. :)

There will also be other TBD features available for members. What do you think those would be?

<snip>

There will also be other TBD features available for members. What do you think those would be?

Sure, just toss the potatoe back in my lap. :rolleyes:

Voting. Regular members should be involved in all votes but there should be an option to open some votes to the entire membership. Also there could be an option to allow a vote to be viewed by all but only officers get to vote.

Pre-view waymarks awaiting approval. Have an option to allow regular members to look at waymarks before getting approved.

Rating system. I know there is already a public rating system in place but there could be a private rating system for the catagory that only members could see or a member that rates a waymark in a catagory that they belong to could have a larger weight in the current system. Although I do have some reservation myself about this as I havn't completely sold myself on this idea. I like the members rating having a larger weight idea better.

Most of the other things I can think of right now would just duplicate what can be done in a private forum.

ok, i think if you ARE an officer, there is an email gropu link, but what if i had an issue with a submition in a category i was neither a member nor officer in?

my issue was resolved through send a message to the denier, and it was an honest mistake that was quickly remedied. however, it might have gotten stuck had they 'fell off the face of the earth'......

We're adding forum features for Waymarking soon, which will allow folks to actually post topics for a specific category or even a specific waymark. This will help keep some things from falling through the cracks.

Maybe there could be a special member-only forum for each category?

When the idea of regular members was first introduced, I assumed that the role would eventually allow them to:

1) Have some additional category voting privileges.

2) Be in the best position for promotion to officer rank if additional officers became necessary/desired.

3) Get to participate in any private discussions for that category.

Yes, this would be a good idea.

We're adding forum features for Waymarking soon, which will allow folks to actually post topics for a specific category or even a specific waymark. This will help keep some things from falling through the cracks.

What if you really like a category, and the membership is closed? Some closed it immediately when they had 3 people in it.

What if you really like a category, and the membership is closed? Some closed it immediately when they had 3 people in it.

We're discussing an "application" feature where you can apply to join or request membership in a Group, with some tools for Officers to vet new members.

For now you can just email the leader and hope they send you an invite.

We're discussing an "application" feature where you can apply to join or request membership in a Group, with some tools for Officers to vet new members.

I think this is fine, as long as a group leader and officers have the option of limiting membership if they want. Depends on what privileges come with regular membership.