Gps For Old Lady Techie

hi, i have been reading posts on units for the last month and am totally confused. i am looking for a unit that i can use in my car and for geotracking. i am also looking for a bargain. i'm down to the garmin 76csx or the magellan explorist 500. any thoughts?? i have noticed several posters asking about how geocachers like the garmin 76csx and often no one answers. also, although i am very tech savvy, would the garmin frustrate me-seems to be a lot of posts on the 60csx with probs.

i'm ready to join the masses and have some fun...

thanks everyone!! :blink::blink:

hi, i have been reading posts on units for the last month and am totally confused. i am looking for a unit that i can use in my car and for geotracking. i am also looking for a bargain. i'm down to the garmin 76csx or the magellan explorist 500. any thoughts?? i have noticed several posters asking about how geocachers like the garmin 76csx and often no one answers. also, although i am very tech savvy, would the garmin frustrate me-seems to be a lot of posts on the 60csx with probs.

I used the Garmin 76 (borrowed) for about a month and I have to say it's a fantastic unit. I didn't care for the placement of the controls (above the screen) on the trail, but for in-car navigation they were perfect. the screen is large and bright, and the unit was among the most sensetive I've used for satellite reception. The reason I didn't get one for myself is price.

If you want to compare it to a Megellan, I'd look at the Explorist 600 over the 500. It has a slightly larger screen, but is a little bulkier.

I wonder how many of the problems with the GPS60 you see here in the forums are from people using the beta firmware.

I used the Garmin 76 (borrowed) for about a month and I have to say it's a fantastic unit. I didn't care for the placement of the controls (above the screen) on the trail, but for in-car navigation they were perfect. the screen is large and bright, and the unit was among the most sensetive I've used for satellite reception. The reason I didn't get one for myself is price.

If you want to compare it to a Megellan, I'd look at the Explorist 600 over the 500. It has a slightly larger screen, but is a little bulkier.

I wonder how many of the problems with the GPS60 you see here in the forums are from people using the beta firmware.

Actually you are right-screen size would be an issue for the bifocal generation. when you read the actual sizes of all these screens, you are amazed that anyone can see anything. i have looked at the explorist xl too-screen really big-nice; unit seems heavy-might be an issue. and of course, after reading all the posts about magellans customer service i'm a little spooked.

Edited by djpatrol

Actually you are right-screen size would be an issue for the bifocal generation. when you read the actual sizes of all these screens, you are amazed that anyone can see anything. i have looked at the explorist xl too-screen really big-nice; unit seems heavy-might be an issue. and of course, after reading all the posts about magellans customer service i'm a little spooked.

I also would like to know if most of you feel that the 60csx is actually worth the $60 extra over the 76csx. i am a real power shopper but this has me stumped-that and i don't have any stores around here where i can actually touch and see the units. thanks to everyone in advance

At the time I bought my 60csx, it was cheaper than the 76csx.

Personally, I like the case design of the 60 series, but the two are essentially the same otherwise.

I have upgraded from a 60cs to the 60csx and have LOVED this new unit. It is by far the best gps I have had ever, and I've had a bunch of them.

At this point, I cannot recommend that any of my friends buy a Magellan unit due to their declining customer service reputation.

[

I also would like to know if most of you feel that the 60csx is actually worth the $60 extra over the 76csx. i am a real power shopper but this has me stumped-that and i don't have any stores around here where i can actually touch and see the units. thanks to everyone in advance

The 60CSx and the 76CSx are basically the same unit except the 76 has a few extra marine functions including a case that floats. It is the 76 that is more expensive on most websites, about $449 where the 60 is only $399.

[

The 60CSx and the 76CSx are basically the same unit except the 76 has a few extra marine functions including a case that floats. It is the 76 that is more expensive on most websites, about $449 where the 60 is only $399.

thanks! i was figuring in the $100 rebate on the 76-that is why i said that it is currently cheaper! really appreciate everyones help-hard call

thanks everyone!! :):rolleyes:

I have three Etrex units: the basic yellow version and two blue Legends. Functional and easy to use. Small screen. The Legend has limited map storage. Not a problem where I live (NM) but in higher density areas it might be cumbersome having to change map loadouts frequently.

I also have a GPSMAP 76S and a 76CSx.

The older 76S is wonderful. B&W, nice size memory for maps, easy on the eyes. Fun to use and very dependable. Have had it about 2 years, and added several software upgrades that added function (and made some small cosmetic fixes). Works well in the hand or attached to a stand on the car dash.

The newer 76CSx has promise. Color screen is a bit smaller but easy to see (age 47 and farsighted). The expandable memory is, well, it too has promise. The WAAS system is in transition and Garmin is having trouble with the SiRF receiver; accuracy is good but not excellent, yet. There are other glitches in the software as well: it stays hooked to the road far too long, it sometimes stalls and the map seems stuck although other indicators continue to track movement. A soft-restart un-sticks it sometimes/other times it requires a complete power shutdown and restart---annoying.

The navigation compass is slow to respond if you pass close by a waypoint at vehicle speeds-resulting in it pointing off into nowhere. Some 'key sequences' cause it to shut off. Routing is functional but others have reported problems with custom points of interest (I've not tested that yet). Tech support is limited to checking units for basic function and stalling users with promises of fixes in the near future. ETA for fixes is sometime from now to late September.

It's functional, but...

I've spent a couple hours a day for about a week running it thru it's paces, so to speak. It's easy to use, keystrokes and pages are becoming intuitive and I've started to do some personalization and customizations. It's a keeper, but I will stay in close touch with Garmin until everything works as expected!

thanks everyone!! :rolleyes::)

I have three Etrex units: the basic yellow version and two blue Legends. Functional and easy to use. Small screen. The Legend has limited map storage. Not a problem where I live (NM) but in higher density areas it might be cumbersome having to change map loadouts frequently.

I also have a GPSMAP 76S and a 76CSx.

The older 76S is wonderful. B&W, nice size memory for maps, easy on the eyes. Fun to use and very dependable. Have had it about 2 years, and added several software upgrades that added function (and made some small cosmetic fixes). Works well in the hand or attached to a stand on the car dash.

The newer 76CSx has promise. Color screen is a bit smaller but easy to see (age 47 and farsighted). The expandable memory is, well, it too has promise. The WAAS system is in transition and Garmin is having trouble with the SiRF receiver; accuracy is good but not excellent, yet. There are other glitches in the software as well: it stays hooked to the road far too long, it sometimes stalls and the map seems stuck although other indicators continue to track movement. A soft-restart un-sticks it sometimes/other times it requires a complete power shutdown and restart---annoying.

The navigation compass is slow to respond if you pass close by a waypoint at vehicle speeds-resulting in it pointing off into nowhere. Some 'key sequences' cause it to shut off. Routing is functional but others have reported problems with custom points of interest (I've not tested that yet). Tech support is limited to checking units for basic function and stalling users with promises of fixes in the near future. ETA for fixes is sometime from now to late September.

It's functional, but...

I've spent a couple hours a day for about a week running it thru it's paces, so to speak. It's easy to use, keystrokes and pages are becoming intuitive and I've started to do some personalization and customizations. It's a keeper, but I will stay in close touch with Garmin until everything works as expected!

gosh thanks everyone especially jf davis! i'm out here chuckling-magellan's tech support stinks and the garmin 76csxs are buggy. i think i am still leaning towards the garmin with the hopes that the bugs will be erradicated soon. either that or go with maybe a garmin vista cx.....not that much cheaper if rebate figured into total price though and screen is smaller. i am just trying to decide what i will be happiest with in the long run...... thanks all!

Edited by djpatrol

Over a period of time I think all the problems with the Garmin will go away. When that happens you will find the auto-routing on the Garmin is superior to the program for the Magellan. I have owned both devices and each is a fine unit, but I definately like the way Garmin has done the autorouting better.

FWIW, the 60csx bugs are really quite minor although you'd get the impression in these forums that these units don't work at all. I have not had any significant repeatable problems with mine since getting it a couple months ago. The benefits of the sensitive receiver are incredible when compared to my older 60cs that I haven't turned that unit on since I got the new one.

So far, my 60csx has brought me within 10 feet of the caches I have looked for since getting it. my 60cs never was that good.

gosh thanks everyone especially jf davis! i'm out here chuckling-magellan's tech support stinks and the garmin 76csxs are buggy. i think i am still leaning towards the garmin with the hopes that the bugs will be erradicated soon. either that or go with maybe a garmin vista cx.....not that much cheaper if rebate figured into total price though and screen is smaller. i am just trying to decide what i will be happiest with in the long run...... thanks all!

When I replied earlier and recommended the Explorist 600 over the 500, the XL is what I meant to say. Yes, it's a little bigger, but not so big or heavy as to be a problem on the trail.

The Vista CX is a great unit, but I never had any use for the compass or barometer; the compass is too sensitive to orientation and the barometer is just plain inaccurate, at least as far as altitude is concerned. Look at the Venture CX, or even the Legend CX if you decide to go this route.

Having said that, you will not enjoy trying to autoroute in the car with any of the smaller units. It's possible, but not safe for the driver or fun for the passenger.

Bottom line: Any of the units you've listed will do a good job. Some are better suited than others, especially for in-car use, but you're not going to regret whatever decision you make.

Just to confuse matters a little bit more, I have the Vista C with the City Select software installed. I use it for auto-routing and love its small size for hiking and Geocaching. It is also considerably less-expensive than the other models you have mentioned . . . :)

I have seen the Legend C on eBay for less than $200.00.

FWIW, the 60csx bugs are really quite minor although you'd get the impression in these forums that these units don't work at all. I have not had any significant repeatable problems with mine since getting it a couple months ago. The benefits of the sensitive receiver are incredible when compared to my older 60cs that I haven't turned that unit on since I got the new one.

So far, my 60csx has brought me within 10 feet of the caches I have looked for since getting it. my 60cs never was that good.

I'm under big, bright, clear skies about 85% of the time. I got very spoiled with WAAS and it's 6-9 feet uncertainty radius. The 'x' series speed of acquisition 'almost' makes up for the not yet functioning WAAS. It's a desert here so overhead trees are few and far between. A big test of this new receiver will be in the foothills of the nearby mountains in a week or so. Lots of reflections, metal deposits and dead spots-I'm reserving final judgment. If my standard brisk walk and the speedy acqusition causes only momentary black-outs. THEN it will be worth the price.

As to the complaints, Garmin isn't helping clear the static. Their tech support is usually very quick, complete and informative. But they have been incredibly silent and when talking cryptic and vague; often pointing at the satellite rearraingement as the 'significant' problem. They got PR problems with many folks on this board because here they are experienced users, often with working older GPSrs that 'are' finding the appropriate satellits--and quickly!

I actually timed the Legend and the 76S for WAAS lock-on along with the 76CSx. About 45 minutes to catch the almanac on the Legend from a cold start, about 30 minutes for the 76S and the 76CSx just stuck at satellite 35-empty bar-no differential data. Didn't even scan properly for other birds. Restarts of the two working units was never more than a couple minutes over the next couple of days use. Like I said-I'm spoiled.

Garmins response was "we are having issues with the SiRF receiver" and "they will be fixed over the next few weeks." They also offered "to check the function of the new unit". Sending it to them for two weeks would definitely get it off my mind (and me off their back) for a period of time---that's really sneaky in my opinion.

I know what I read in their e-mail, didn't like it, but now choose to put a smile on things. I'll use what works on the 'x', carry the 76S or the Legend as backup/substitute and wait for the next evolution of the 'x' software.

Tried the Auto-Routing--very impressive! Over short routes (cross town) it's about as fast as Mapsource on the laptop PC. A cross state with some simulated stops in several towns along the way was a bit slow-but good workable routes were found each time. When we can enter data without fear of crashing the unit it will be very nice! Especially with custom POI's!

I'm under big, bright, clear skies about 85% of the time. I got very spoiled with WAAS and it's 6-9 feet uncertainty radius. The 'x' series speed of acquisition 'almost' makes up for the not yet functioning WAAS. It's a desert here so overhead trees are few and far between. A big test of this new receiver will be in the foothills of the nearby mountains in a week or so. Lots of reflections, metal deposits and dead spots-I'm reserving final judgment. If my standard brisk walk and the speedy acqusition causes only momentary black-outs. THEN it will be worth the price.

As to the complaints, Garmin isn't helping clear the static. Their tech support is usually very quick, complete and informative. But they have been incredibly silent and when talking cryptic and vague; often pointing at the satellite rearraingement as the 'significant' problem. They got PR problems with many folks on this board because here they are experienced users, often with working older GPSrs that 'are' finding the appropriate satellits--and quickly!

I actually timed the Legend and the 76S for WAAS lock-on along with the 76CSx. About 45 minutes to catch the almanac on the Legend from a cold start, about 30 minutes for the 76S and the 76CSx just stuck at satellite 35-empty bar-no differential data. Didn't even scan properly for other birds. Restarts of the two working units was never more than a couple minutes over the next couple of days use. Like I said-I'm spoiled.

Garmins response was "we are having issues with the SiRF receiver" and "they will be fixed over the next few weeks." They also offered "to check the function of the new unit". Sending it to them for two weeks would definitely get it off my mind (and me off their back) for a period of time---that's really sneaky in my opinion.

I know what I read in their e-mail, didn't like it, but now choose to put a smile on things. I'll use what works on the 'x', carry the 76S or the Legend as backup/substitute and wait for the next evolution of the 'x' software.

Tried the Auto-Routing--very impressive! Over short routes (cross town) it's about as fast as Mapsource on the laptop PC. A cross state with some simulated stops in several towns along the way was a bit slow-but good workable routes were found each time. When we can enter data without fear of crashing the unit it will be very nice! Especially with custom POI's!

thanks again to everyone for their awesome help. i have had alot of fun reading all the comments on this forum the last month. i finally ordered the garmin 76csx and the topo software. with the rebate i have a least had a significant chunk taken out of the cost of the software. my husband had originally bought me an etrex vista (black and white) and topo software package at gander mountain for $249 (not a bad price really and yes, he does occasionally buy me jewelry) for our anniversary. but alas, i wanted the ability to use memory cards and to connect via usb (not serial connection) to my laptop. i am also fascinated by new technology and will be out there with you folks pressing garmin into correct updates (no beta versions for me!). thanks to everyone for going out of your way to help me decide! happy trails all! :rolleyes::):rolleyes:<_<

I'm under big, bright, clear skies about 85% of the time. I got very spoiled with WAAS and it's 6-9 feet uncertainty radius. The 'x' series speed of acquisition 'almost' makes up for the not yet functioning WAAS.

I'm using a Legend Cx, and the WAAS seems to be working fine... Even in the woods. I get the little D's consistently!!

I'm under big, bright, clear skies about 85% of the time. I got very spoiled with WAAS and it's 6-9 feet uncertainty radius. The 'x' series speed of acquisition 'almost' makes up for the not yet functioning WAAS.

I'm using a Legend Cx, and the WAAS seems to be working fine... Even in the woods. I get the little D's consistently!!

You're right of course, I should have been more precise. I apologize. The SiRF units are having the 'interface difficulties'; this does NOT affect all 'x' units.