Pq's Hit And Miss?

pppingme

PQ's seem to be hit and miss for the past couple days.

For example, I have a set (2 PQ's) that I run every Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon. These did not run Sunday or Monday.

I have another PQ that I run daily, I did get this on Sunday, but did NOT on Monday (at least not yet).

I have one other set (2 PQ's) that I only run on Monday, both of those have run, and it seems like I got them a little earlier than normal, so I know that some PQ's are running.

Are PQ's just kinda funny the past couple days?

Could be a couple of things. My PQs have been running fine...

Might be your email provider.

Might be Groundspeak's email server.

But the first thing that came to mind is when you said you have the PQ running Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. PQs run in order of priority. Priority goes to those PQs which haven't run recently. If you have a daily PQ set up, it's probably coming later and later in the day each time until the PQ generator no longer has time to get to your PQ. Also, weekends are the busiest for PQs, not helping your situation.

If you really want to run this PQ each of those days, I recommend you set up two (or three or four) identical PQs and set each one to run only once or twice a week. A PQ which runs only once a week has the best chance at being in the front of the line. The PQ you currently have must be somewhere near the end of the line.

Jamie

Could be a couple of things. My PQs have been running fine...

Might be your email provider.

Might be Groundspeak's email server.

But the first thing that came to mind is when you said you have the PQ running Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. PQs run in order of priority. Priority goes to those PQs which haven't run recently. If you have a daily PQ set up, it's probably coming later and later in the day each time until the PQ generator no longer has time to get to your PQ. Also, weekends are the busiest for PQs, not helping your situation.

If you really want to run this PQ each of those days, I recommend you set up two (or three or four) identical PQs and set each one to run only once or twice a week. A PQ which runs only once a week has the best chance at being in the front of the line. The PQ you currently have must be somewhere near the end of the line.

Jamie

I have 2 that run every monday. The first was generated at 2:30 AM and I got it. The second hasn't run. I made a copy of that one and it ran immediately.

PQs run in order of priority. Priority goes to those PQs which haven't run recently. If you have a daily PQ set up, it's probably coming later and later in the day each time until the PQ generator no longer has time to get to your PQ.

We have paid $$ to be allowed to have up to 5 pq's pr. day. So when none of them runs for several days gc is not delivering what they promise. (Fraud?) :blink:

I have copied my pc's and submitted them, and that works. But this is not the solution. Rigth column in the pq screen shows last generated date, so it is not a mail problem.

I think TPTB is starting to get a capacity problem again. Please fix it. :blink:

I love that these two sentences are together:

So when none of them runs for several days gc is not delivering what they promise. (Fraud?)

I have copied my pc's and submitted them, and that works.

So, they're fraudulent in not providing a service you paid for, but the service you paid for CAN be implemented, but since it is an inconvenient workaround, you won't use it. :blink:

I agree, there have been problems with PQs lately, and I'm sure they're aware of it. I just dislike someone crying "fraud" every time there's a glitch in the system. :blink:

OMG! There's a lightning storm and the television cable went out. I can't watch "Mythbusters" tonight. The cable company is guilty of fraud because they're not providing a service I paid for.

2 of the 5 I had scheduled ran yesterday. Then 5 of the 5 I had scheduled for today ran in the first hour (between midnight and 1am). Now I have to wait until tomorrow to try to re-run the three that didn't go yesterday which happen to be the most important of the PQs that I wanted to run (isn't that the way it always works?). I'm not sure what was up, but something wasn't right. Everything seems okay now, and I'll just have to wait until tomorrow for the other three.

--Marky

Mine have been a little funky lately too. I went back and re-checked the days on mine ( I have 13 or so, but for entirely different areas, types, ratings etc. for the different groups I go with...) and one that I checked to run the following week (on the day previous) ran that day immediately. So while checking one for Tuesday, it actually ran on Wednesday. Seemed a little odd, since it was 8-10 hours into Wednesday when I checked it, AND I am pacific time...

I have many PQs in my list. I don't have any of them scheduled. If I need one area or another, I just bring up the PQ and request it.

Yesterday I was in town with my old laptop at a WiFi Hotspot. I brought up my list of PQs, selected three, and they ran right away. It was sure nice to get them so quickly. With my 24K connection at home, it would have taken half an hour or more to download the files. faint.gif

I suppose having the PQs scheduled is convenient, but this method sure works for me. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Miragee

Just for the record, I have 5 queries set to run once on Tuesdays, and three of the five ran at 7:23:09 AM, 7:23:26 AM and 7:23:39 AM.

The other two never ran.

:rolleyes:

You're lucky. I only got 1 out of 4. :)

I had to do the clunky copy, schedule, run, then unschedule the copied queries so they don't run again next week. At least it's a work around, I just hope this doesn't become a regular thing.

I have many PQs in my list. I don't have any of them scheduled. If I need one area or another, I just bring up the PQ and request it.

Yesterday I was in town with my old laptop at a WiFi Hotspot. I brought up my list of PQs, selected three, and they ran right away. It was sure nice to get them so quickly. With my 24K connection at home, it would have taken half an hour or more to download the files. faint.gif

I suppose having the PQs scheduled is convenient, but this method sure works for me. thumbsup.gif

No, it is not convenient, it is the way the system is designed and is advertised to perform. But then I don't think that it rises to the level of fraud either. :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Team Cotati

The queries I requested the last two days have not appeared. I did what others have suggested. I made copies. They came straight across. Long story short - make a copy to get your queries until what ever is broke gets fixed.

Edited by geospyder

Thank you!

I also had some that were scheduled to run...hadn't run them since a week ago and they came at about 7:30 PM...which was after I had come in for the day. I have not checked any so far this week...Just to see if the issue was repaired...which is nice to hear that it has been!

Thank you!

I also had some that were scheduled to run...hadn't run them since a week ago and they came at about 7:30 PM...which was after I had come in for the day. I have not checked any so far this week...Just to see if the issue was repaired...which is nice to hear that it has been!

My scheduled PQ.s still hasn´t run........ :huh:

Perhaps this is the kind of thing that should generate an email from Groundspeak. I run my PQ's every week and automatically dump them into GSAK, and tend not to notice that the PQ didn't fire until I get back from my caching trip and see the dozen new caches I walked right by.

Hopefully these problems will be minimized in the future, as the PQs are a great feature that I'm more than happy to pay for.

I noticed a glitch in pqs over the weekend, but I also don't need the scheduled pqs for a couple of weeks - I've planned ahead.

The glitch a few weeks back was cool, though - I got every pq in my list in one day (I think about 34 at the time) - I thought it was Christmas!

Edited by groovetopia

I got today both PQ copies and some PQ's I hadn't run in several months...The copies are rather important local ones, but the others are in an area we visit only once or twice a year so they aren't a regular thing. THOSE seem to have run just fine, but the others I am still not sure about.

Hmmmm . . . Interesting development for me. :rolleyes: I have always been able to get a PQ shortly after requesting it. I don't have any regularly-scheduled PQs.

Today, after waiting more than an hour, I finally created a Copy of the one I wanted.

Once I created, it started to arrive in my InBox right away . . . just like the original ones used to . . . <_<

I just reviewed my PQ history and yes, one of mine did not run as scheduled last Monday. Because I use GSAK and the GetMail macro, when i went out for a few caches yesterday, I did not know these caches had not been updated. I generated a copy of it, but it the copy has not run yet.

edit: The copy did run just now, so if you monitor your PQ's and copy the ones that get skipped, you can indeed get the info needed to go caching. Kind of cumbersome, but at least until the PQ's get fixed, there is a work around.

Edited by Cheminer Will

Must have been quite a few that needed to catch up I saw a little more time than normal on a new PQs time to get to my inbox. Not a complaint just an observation. :lol: Thanks for all of your hard work Jeremy, Raine, and anyone else behind the scenes :P

I love that these two sentences are together:

So when none of them runs for several days gc is not delivering what they promise. (Fraud?)

I have copied my pc's and submitted them, and that works.

So, they're fraudulent in not providing a service you paid for, but the service you paid for CAN be implemented, but since it is an inconvenient workaround, you won't use it. :D

I agree, there have been problems with PQs lately, and I'm sure they're aware of it. I just dislike someone crying "fraud" every time there's a glitch in the system. :D

OMG! There's a lightning storm and the television cable went out. I can't watch "Mythbusters" tonight. The cable company is guilty of fraud because they're not providing a service I paid for.

I'm on the east coast and have to set a PQ up for yesterday if I want it and its before 3am!!!! :D:D

Has to be fraud!!

No reply needed. I'm being sarcastic :D

BTW...I had some trouble with PQ's this past weekend and never thought of blaming Groundspeak. I just edited the PQ up 1 cache or down 1 and it saw it as a new PQ I guess because it ran immediately.

They're running - just catching up. Do like the others here and copy your pocket queries if you are impatient.

After copying my pqs, they worked fine, Thanks Jeremy. But hopefully that is not the final solution for this "problem".

To copy them and editing GSAK-macros on every evening is not the way I like :D .

They're running - just catching up. Do like the others here and copy your pocket queries if you are impatient.

Surely that just makes the problem worse! If everyone copied their PQs there would be double the amount to run and the machine gets even slower.

Sounds to me like it would be a better idea to just leave the PQs as they are and let the machine catch up :D

I had a quick thought - and then removed it...

I thought that because I received SIX PQ's yesterday, shown as generated the 22nd, and they were all the ones I had checked for TODAY the 23rd, that there was a date issue. But then one I checked randomly for today showed up right away. (of course I hadn't run it in a long time either) So my idea was dust...

Surely that just makes the problem worse! If everyone copied their PQs there would be double the amount to run and the machine gets even slower.

No. There is only a small number of impatient people so the additional queries would be negligible. Also I would assume that people would cancel their older query after they copy their new one so they don't get a duplicate query.

No. There is only a small number of impatient people so the additional queries would be negligible. Also I would assume that people would cancel their older query after they copy their new one so they don't get a duplicate query.

Doesn't look like that to me. I'm one of the patient ones and mine are very delayed. I have 2 PQs set to ruin daily. One last ran on 20th the other on the 18th. Looks to me like there's a lot of chaff clogging up the system :cry:

I have 2 PQs set to ruin daily.

I recommend you change that from 2 daily PQs to something like 6 PQs which each run twice a week. Your PQs will then be much higher on the priority list. I think (and am only guessing) that whenever the generator bogs down, your PQs are getting pushed off the back due to the limited number of hours in the day.

Jamie

People playing with this isn't helping the PQ situation. Probably the cause of PQ's that are set to run every week/day from being run at all or later and later since new PQ's are run first.

Just my 2 cents worth and definately not bashing the new feature either :grin:

Copied my 5 daily scheduled PQ yesterday and they all ran

quickly and arrived around 10:20. As of 5:00pm today,

none have auomatically ran. Will be "patient" and see

if they will run at all.

Seems to be that "something" has changed, since a few weeks

ago I had NO problem receiving them as scheduled, with very

little delay after the 24 hour restriction on running.

Don't really want to copy and run them every day, but still want

to received them daily. Hopefully the server will "catch up" and

stay caught up.

Added: It's now been 12 hours since last generated

Added: Jun 25. Didn't received any on the 24th. Received

3 PQ today around 12:43pm and then the remaining 2 at aroound

2:30pm. Wonder if any WILL be generated on the 26th?????

I would hope that we could expect to receive the PQs at least

daily.

Edited by Army_SGM

I had unchecked ALL of my PQ's, even the copies I made the other day. I checked off 5 that I wanted to try - not really convinced that they would all run today...

The first two were copies, that had the "uncheck after generating" rule. They came within 2 minutes of me checking the box! The next two were a little slower at 5 minutes. I then checked one more by accident - not seeing that the two had unchecked themselves (total at the bottome wasn't 5 yet) and then the originals that the copies came from ran too - but they ran yesterday, adn they are dated for today!

So all together today I got 7 PQ's. Dated 6/24/2006

I recommend you change that from 2 daily PQs to something like 6 PQs which each run twice a week. Your PQs will then be much higher on the priority list. I think (and am only guessing) that whenever the generator bogs down, your PQs are getting pushed off the back due to the limited number of hours in the day

Thanks for the advice but that doesn't suit why I run the PQs on a daily basis. Also they have run that way for over a year without having to mess around with them.

Anyway they both came through this morning so hopefully this is an indication that things are getting back to normal

The MY finds weekly PQs are not working correctly as well.

It was 11 days since I had last run it. I clicked the add to queue box and it said it was scheduled to run about 12:15 AM 6/24. No PQ appeard in my mail all day (I checked the spam filter too). After midnight,before going to bed, I checked it again and it had reverted back to the original date of 6/12 and wsa again clickable.

I clicked the button again and it is currently saying it is scheduled to run at 12:25 AM 6/25 and no PQ is in my mail.

Is there some database maintenance being done at midnight Pacific Time? if so. the button should not be clickable then. I will try again Monday morning.

Dumb Question - I guess this would be for Jeremy. How many PQ's run every day? How long does it take for the average PQ to run? I guess I'm just confused as to how long it can take that some of these normally can run immediately (because of the newness of the query) and some can take half a day. This is just a curiousity thing. I don't consider it in any way to be fraud for a service to have occasional glitches - especially at $3 a month.