Help With Getting Permission To Place Caches...

I've tried to place 3 caches. 2 of the 3 people I talked with gave me the look like I was crazy. They of course, didn't know what geocaching was. So I explained it as best I could and they still shot me down on placing the cache. What are some good ways to ask for permission, because I'm not getting it done the way I'm doing it.

Thanks!

Try this link. This has help get the foot in the door.

The above is a BIG help. Print off the info flier, print off some similar caches and explain cachers are generally responsible people. I went for permission to hide in a cemetery. I printed off other cemeteries in the area, caches hidden with permission from other cities and stressed CITO. So far, I've no complaints from the city, the historical society published the hide in their news letter and myself plus other cahcers have cleaned up the place. Also, explaining how many are hidden in how countries kinda shows that you're not alone! THERE ARE OTHER NUTS OUT THERE!!! :laughing:

Having a map of the caches in the local area helps. Then they can see that there are hundreds of the cache things around and obviously not causing any harm so far.

And definitely take along a couple of containers to show them what it is you will be putting on their property.

It doesn't hurt if the cache containers are clear and filed with swag like cute kid toys, a tiny first aid kit, a couple of harmless looking items (like flashlights) that "anybody" could see a reasonable use for, either.

I've tried to place 3 caches. 2 of the 3 people I talked with gave me the look like I was crazy. They of course, didn't know what geocaching was. So I explained it as best I could and they still shot me down on placing the cache. What are some good ways to ask for permission, because I'm not getting it done the way I'm doing it.

Thanks!

Don't.

Don't.

LOL yah, nice way to get on their good side for future placements.

There is some great advice in this thread, especially the demo container and the map. I went to my old hometown and showed them on a map how many caches are hidden in the next town, and they were more than willing to join in. What if you send them a nice packet with a letter thanking them for their time, and including all of the above in case they would like to consider it at a later date? Maybe "a later date" will happen right away!

Edited by Kacky

Don't.

5d1eed24-d54b-4edb-ac8a-3a39da3e099a.jpg

Nothing funny. He blew it by asking permission, they didn't know what it was and it was easier to say no. There is no good or bad side to be on. If there is no prohibition, then you have adequate permission.

For more information, read this.

For my cemetery hide, I sent a thank you letter with a print-out of the posted hide. Noted in the description was a thank you to the city and a reminder to cachers to be kind to the area but most of all, clean up any trash. When I hit the 1 year mark, I'll send a print-out of all the logs to the historical society that took big interest into this hide. This will also aide me in the future when I attempt another hide in another city. I can therefore cite this hide as an example of a good thing!

Don't.

5d1eed24-d54b-4edb-ac8a-3a39da3e099a.jpg

Nothing funny. He blew it by asking permission, they didn't know what it was and it was easier to say no. There is no good or bad side to be on. If there is no prohibition, then you have adequate permission.

For more information, read this.

Thanks for the link to this thread, we are getting geared up to hide a few and I was struggling over this issue. :huh: