Top Ten Caches (votes Or Recommendations)/

First time posting to this forum, so please forgive me if this topic has already been covered.

I was wondering if anyone may have created a list of the most challenging or "top ten" caches around the country.

I understand that each cache has a rating for terrain and difficulty, I was interested to see if there has ever been a vote on - say - the most interesting, the most challenging, toughest puzzler, etc.

Interested to hear from someone at Groundspeak or Geocaching.com...

First time posting to this forum, so please forgive me if this topic has already been covered.

Quick. Someone get the pitchforks so we can run him off!

I was wondering if anyone may have created a list of the most challenging or "top ten" caches around the country.

I understand that each cache has a rating for terrain and difficulty, I was interested to see if there has ever been a vote on - say - the most interesting, the most challenging, toughest puzzler, etc.

It would be very hard to create one list containing what you are asking for many reasons. First and foremost every cache's quality and ratings will be subjective to the finder. You and I could find the same cache at the same time and we could think totally opposite about it. You might love the stealth factor of finding a nano in the crack of a statue in the middle of Grand Central Station where I don't enjoy trying to look natural in a setting that just doesn't work for me. I prefer the hikes. One of the best things would be to find other cachers who have found caches you have really enjoyed and see what they bookmark as high on their loved it lists.

What? An opportunity to toot my own horn? "Nereus' Nickname" may be an interesting puzzle challenge for intelligent cachers (No one's found it yet, so I can't say for sure). There's a $40 prize for the first cacher to e-mail me with the location of the 1st hide, too (no need to actually find it).

I must agree with the 372 respondents so far (okay, okay, so it was one, not 372, gimme a break! sigh...) that it would be impossible to do so, because of the widely variant qualities offered by caches and the widely variant tastes and preferences of cachers. For example:

• some folks prefer puzzles
  • some prefer micros
  • some folks prefer urban hides
  • some prefer difficult-to-find caches (i.e., a micro bison tube hidden in a 4 acre field of rocks)
  • some prefer scenic views
  • some prefer caches at beaches
  • some prefer caches in forests
  • some prefer caches in deserts
  • some prefer extreme caches
  • some prefer adventure multi-stage caches
  • some prefer SCUBA caches
  • some prefer extreme caches with a high element of danger
  • some prefer caches hidden in the decommissioned containment housing of an abandoned nuclear reactor, contaminated with radioactive waste and toxic chemical waste, and infested with mice and rodent droppings laden with hantavirus and typhus
  • some prefer caches hidden deep in tight storm drain tunnels filled with toxic runoff waste and spiders
  • some prefer virtual caches (the grandfathered ones)
  • some prefer a Terrain 5 cache hidden in the old ammo storage tunnels under an abandoned military fort, where the dark and filthy passageways are cluttered with garbage, broken liquor bottles, empty syringes, the dark stinky hallways filled with goth kids smoking pot, taggers spraying every available vertical surface with graffiti, and gaunt-faced, hollow-eyed people in filthy clothing looking for quick sex, with mugggers, prostitutes and drug dealers lurking on the filthy pathway outside the entrances to the tunnels..

My vote goes for View Carre' in New Orleans. In my limited experience, it's up there.

Oh, and Brian, you da man!

I didn't write anything yet.

Anyway, I agree with the others who say that what constitues good is too subective. Also, with hundreds of thousands of caches out there, paring the list down to 10 would be near impossible. There are probably hundreds of caches that could make any such list.

It might be a bit easier if you were to ask for top 10 in each category. Perhaps top 10 puzzles caches, top 10 most scenic caches, top 10 most difficult caches, etc... Still you'd have to have some people who have actually found the top caches in every state to have any real way to compare.

Finally, how would any such list be selecgted? Straight voting won't work because everybody is going to vote for the caches they know have done. So a poplular cache just outside San Francisco is bound to get many more votes than a far better cache in the middle of Montana.

Premium members can create Bookmark Lists and choose to share the list with others (e.g., Toronto Islands).

Often they can include favorites (or caches to avoid.) When looking through cache pages for your area you might see (on the right hand side of the page) a box that lists any bookmark lists. If so, you can go to that list and check out those other listed caches.

Other users are able to rate the list.

Edited by Maxima