Cachers Helping Cachers

FireRef

I recently ran into another cacher, and shared the FTF for a new cache with her. We proceeded (with my dad, who was out for his first caching experience) along the trail to a second new cache, which was closer to the end that the other cacher had come from, so she had already found it. I searched about 3-4 minutes, and then found it myself.

What is considered acceptable and not for being with someone when you know where the cache is, and they don't, or they know where it is and you don't? I guess I feel that someone who knows should offer if they are willing to give some help to finding it, but then again, i don't know how other people feel about this. I felt a little wierd asking, so I didn't, but I figured she might be willing to offer some help. I found it quickly enough to make it a pointless question however.

What is everyone's feel on this? Should you offer (or withhold) helpful information if you're in the know? Can you ask (and expect to receive) for helpful information? I guess it is going to depend on how you choose to play the game.

Choose your meathod.

Huckle-Buckle-Beanstalk – A method of group caching, which takes its name from a classic children's game. When a member of the group spots the cache, they walk elsewhere (to not give away the cache's location), then call out, “huckle-buckle-beanstalk!” (or whatever word or phrase the group has decided on). This continues until everyone in the group has either spotted the cache, or given up, after which the cache is retrieved and logged. Compare this to the Three Musketeers method.

Or

Three Musketeers – A method of group cache hunting, which takes its name from the Musketeer motto, “All for one and one for all.” Unlike the Huckle-Buckle-Beanstalk method, as soon as one person in the group finds the cache, the hunt is over, and all members of the group log their find.

Our club does the beanstalk meathod (inless we're late to get to the buses :laughing: )

She may have been reluctant to offer hints without being asked; some people would take offense at being helped, some at not being helped. My own personal method is to grasp the other cacher's ear gently between thumb and forefinger and hiss, "SHOW ME WHERE THE CACHE IS OR I'LL RIP YOUR EVERLOVING EAR RIGHT OFF YOUR HEAD, I SWEAR!!"

You may wish to develop your own methods.

She may have been reluctant to offer hints without being asked; some people would take offense at being helped, some at not being helped. My own personal method is to grasp the other cacher's ear gently between thumb and forefinger and hiss, "SHOW ME WHERE THE CACHE IS OR I'LL RIP YOUR EVERLOVING EAR RIGHT OFF YOUR HEAD, I SWEAR!!"

Hmm - think I will choose another, less... physical method... haha :laughing:

Ohhh! Moan! I love it! Another Auntie classic! You have made my day! Thank you!

:laughing::unsure::P

My method is to look sad and ask for hints, and then whine if needed.

I like your way better though! As long as I am not on the receiving end.... :laughing:

Huckle-Buckle-Beanstalk – A method of group caching, which takes its name from a classic children's game. When a member of the group spots the cache, they walk elsewhere (to not give away the cache's location), then call out, "huckle-buckle-beanstalk!" (or whatever word or phrase the group has decided on). This continues until everyone in the group has either spotted the cache, or given up, after which the cache is retrieved and logged.

We use a similar method called the S.E.G.

Once you find it you step aside and proceed to sport a huge Grin.

Edited by Stunod

Huckle-Buckle-Beanstalk – A method of group caching, which takes its name from a classic children's game. When a member of the group spots the cache, they walk elsewhere (to not give away the cache's location), then call out, "huckle-buckle-beanstalk!" (or whatever word or phrase the group has decided on). This continues until everyone in the group has either spotted the cache, or given up, after which the cache is retrieved and logged.

:blink:

Our phrase is "Rattle-rattle" as that is the sound an ammo can makes when it hoisted and shaken over one's head. Of course, by doing so you've robbed the other a chance to find it themselves, so you move off and announce, "rattle-rattle."

I think it's been half and half with the group we've been caching with as to which method we've used. I personally don't mind either, but I know some don't appreciate not being the one to find it for themselves. Heck, even with the same group we mind switch back and forth on methods.

So, yes, it's always polite to ask before assuming folks like to be told the twist of a movie or the ending of a book, just like the end-game of a cache.

We call it "having a cup of coffeee", as in "I know where it is, so I'm going to sit down and have a cup of coffee while I enjoy the entertainment".

We do a combo of the Rattle Rattle vs the Three Muscateers...If my daughter is along, (with her own account) we do the spot it and walk away method. Otherwise, if it is an especially hard one, my cousin and I will combine forces and once found the hunt is over.

We often have these Zen days where I will be the spotter of ALL caches and she works the GPS. Other days she can't get the GPS to work and spots everything before I do. Depends on the cache really, some are really easy and exactly where you think they are, and others use a little brain power. That brain power we seem to not have consistently enough to both be able to spot the cache easily. It comes and goes, so we trade off...

We usually walk away a few feet, plant our walking stick in the ground, and say OK come get it. If it is in a particularly tough spot like a swamp full of thorns, snakes, ticks, and alligators on an extra humid day at dusk 5 miles from the car we may just say "come sign this thing and let's get outa here". :blink:

It usually is determined by the make up of the group. If kids are along I'll always move away and let them make the find. If its a group of adults most often someone shouts out when they've found it.

The corollary to any hunt is if the container or hiding method is unusual, unique, or one of those "need to see" hides, walk away and allow others the same thrill.