Virtual Caches On Summits?

dcphoto

I'm climbing Mt. Shasta (14,162') again this week for our annual climb. Would it be acceptable to do a virtual cache on the summit? This is a cache that would require technical climbing gear and 2 - 3 days to get to and back. I looked through the Shasta caches and didn't see anything that looked like it was from the top.

How about virtual caches on other summits like Brokeoff Mountain and Lassen Peak which can be summer hikes on a maintained trail?

I suppose I would have to figure out a way to have the cache finders prove they were actually there, a photo of them on the summit or a photo of the summit log comes to mind.

Or am I way off base and need to stick to easier caches?

Thanks...

DC

You might want to clarify whether you want to find a Virtual or place one. There are some caches (both Virtual and Traditional) on some summits in the Eastern Sierras already.

Virtual caches are no longer being approved on Geocaching.com. Existing ones that are been maintained are still listed.

Thanks for the rapid replies! So placing a virtual cache is not possible anymore. Perhaps I'll look into placing a micro cache somewhere on or near the summit. Will also check out the waymark site.

DC

Do check out Waymarking, especially the category linked by tozainamboku for Mountain Summits. That's probably your best bet. Remember that leaving a cache is the easy part -- coming back to maintain it is the hard part. Another thing to check is if Shasta-Trinity NF has regulations against leaving caches on Mt. Shasta. The mountain gets a lot of traffic, enough so that they ask you to pack out your poop. They might not appreciate a cache.

However, let me play devils advocate for a minute. There *is* a container and a log book on top of Mt. Shasta (and several other mountain peaks). No, it isn't necessarily maintained by a geocacher, and it isn't really hidden well enough to require a GPS to find (but neither do virtual caches on top of any other given mountain). However, could someone conceivably make a sign-only geocache out of an existing summit register? Does that fall within guidelines?