Explorist 500 $189.99 After Rebate

I didn't see anybody else post it so I thought I would. I was not in the market for a new unit, but I couldn't pass up the price for a color unit. RadioShack.com has the Magellan Explorist 500 for 240 plus there is a $50 mail-in-rebate. I ordered mine on Saturday when the price was $225. I still get the $50 rebate, so I figured that was a great price. I searched the web and couldn't find anything close to that price. I think it will be a good unit for us to Geocache. I am going to sell my Garmin etrex Legend on ebay. Its only about 3 months old and I paid $140 for it. I am getting a color unit with an SD slot and color for like $35 more than what I paid for the etrex Legend.

I can still cancel my order if somebody knows of a better deal.

I never thought to check Radio Shack either. I work there and check the web page quite often. Its been on sale for about 4 weeks now. I just wonder how they can afford to sell them that cheap.

well after thinking about it more i decided that Explorist woulndt work for me anyways as i wanted the ability to just pop in some regular AA'a and not half to plug it into a charger. and crap like thay

I never thought to check Radio Shack either. I work there and check the web page quite often. Its been on sale for about 4 weeks now. I just wonder how they can afford to sell them that cheap.

well after thinking about it more i decided that Explorist woulndt work for me anyways as i wanted the ability to just pop in some regular AA'a and not half to plug it into a charger. and crap like thay

I hear ya. I don't take camping trips so I don't really need the AA capability. I can always make sure its charged and I plan on buying an extra battery for it too.

What?! I just ordered (and it's already in the mail) the explorist 500.....

What is this?

My idea right about now would be that the prudent thing to do would be for eXplorist purchasers to hold off a purchase for a couple of weeks too see how this 500 LE thingy shakes out. :lol::laughing::tired:

What is this?

Don't get all bent out of shape. The Explorist 500LE will likely be nothing more than a standard 500 with a small attachment which enables you to use AAA batteries. The attachment may very well be usable on standard Explorist 500s, although nothing has yet been confirmed.

In my experience, and I often camp--although only occasionally on multi-day trips--that the rechargeable battery in the Explorist is easier to deal with than having to swap batteries frequently. Even on the multi-day trips, the battery has not been any more inconvenient than dealing with AAs. In fact, I can make a pretty good argument that it's more convenient than AAs.

But that's just me.

Jamie

My idea right about now would be that the prudent thing to do would be for eXplorist purchasers to hold off a purchase for a couple of weeks too see how this 500 LE thingy shakes out. :tired::lol:;)

eXplorist 500 LE ? A New model perhaps? Do Tell! Spill! (please) :)

Yes this is, to the best of my knowledge a new model. B):laughing::)

What is this?

My idea right about now would be that the prudent thing to do would be for eXplorist purchasers to hold off a purchase for a couple of weeks too see how this 500 LE thingy shakes out. :):laughing::tired:

A new model. :lol:;)B)

As was discussed in another topic, the 500 LE appears to not include the li-Ion battery and wall wart charger. It has the AAA battery clip. For owners of the standard 500, and the 400, 600, you can get this clip and use AAAs in your GPSr.

The pros and cons of the Li-ion battery have been discussed many times in the past. I have had my 500 for over a year and I am strongly on the side that it is pro/positive. The charging is so easy at home or in the car. No opening up and changing out batterys or using an external charger. Spare batteries can be bought for under $10. And the Li-Ions keep their charge for weeks/months, not half dead in a week like NiMH. Now there is a AAA pack, so you can carry AAA alkalines as a backup if you away from car or home for long periods of time.

Does anyone have any idea when this batterie adapter thing is comming out, I have a 500 and it sucks when Im out in the sticks and my batterie is running low and its getting dark. It would just be great to have the back-up of putting in regular batts.

It's already out. Less than $10. I know TigerGPS has it, and if you Froogle it you'll find a few other places.