Scotland - Looking For Interesting Caches For Our Holidays

We'll spend our holidays in scotland in september 2006 and want to go by car from Edinburgh to Perth, Inverness, Loch Ness and back on the west side. Who can recommend us some "good" caches? Caches with beautiful landscape, great views, interesting places and caches with tourism sight seeing (in Edinburgh).

For sightseeing and landscape in Edinburgh, you want to look at my bookmarks lists Edinburgh options 1 - 4. As Big Wolf has already said my caches by car bookmark list may help as well. You can access my bookmarks through my profile.

To be honest nearly all the caches in Edinburgh and Perth are a safe bet to do. If you want any advice on Edinburgh caches then drop me an email.

I don't know anyhing about caches in Inverness, but Edinburgh and Perth are both very cache-rich cities.

Edinburgh is a particularly walker-friendly place, despite having hills, but is intensely user-hostile for car drivers. There are several superb multis which form very well constructed and informative 'conducted' tours of the city centre and take you to a few nooks and crannies which are probably unknown to most Edinburgers.

Start with Up the Close and Down the Stairs. This tour walks you through the story of Burke & Hare, a pair of body snatchers. The tour takes you through much of the old town of Edinburgh and ends in the vicinity of the upper part of the Royal Mile. Between the end-point of that one and the start point of the next one I recommend, there are plenty of pubs and other eateries for some refreshments.

Edinburgh's Royal Mile starts at the castle and works your way downhill. It leads you seamlessly to the beginning of the next one of what forms a natural pair.

By now you're at the lower end of the Royal Mile. If the weather is bad, try ducking indoors to make up your own mind whether the English taxpayers got good value for money in a notorious "Horror".

If you have any walking energy left by the time your've arrived that far down the hill, you have a choice of several caches in the park at Holyrood. There are parts of that park where you simply would not believe that you're in a city at all.

Hop on a bus down to the foot of Leith walk and do the Ships, Claret & Golf multi. Plan to complete the full cache before dark though. Despite some thoroughly implausible and highly mendacious denials, the location of the cache is in a place which is well known for its nefarious nocturnal activities and is best visited during the hours of daylight.

That doesn't mean that caching comes to an end after dark though. Edinburgh Night Lights is specifically designed for night caching.

Welcome to Auld Reekie. It's certainly auld, but it's not at all reekie!

Check out what caches PhilPamandRob did... they've just come back from this area...

They started in Largs on the West Coast (they had a coin of mine with a goal to complete!) and then headed to edinburgh and then to perth kind of area....

Might be worth a peep

Thank you very much! All these caches sound really good... We're looking forward visting all these beautiful areas! Has anybody an idea for some caches with a longer walk (3-4 hours)?

Do the Water of Leith Walkway which follows a river straight through the heart of Edinburgh. It has 20 caches along a 12 mile route. You can walk the whole way or leave at any point and get the bus back to the start or back into town. It also has a pub at the halfway point, that serves food good enough for your lunch.

There are also caches on the Pentland Hills which sit south of Edinburgh, two or three of those may take you a couple of hours?

Hop on a bus down to the foot of Leith walk and do the Ships, Claret & Golf multi. Plan to complete the full cache before dark though. Despite some thoroughly implausible and highly mendacious denials, the location of the cache is in a place which is well known for its nefarious nocturnal activities and is best visited during the hours of daylight.

I think that The Forester is referring to the fact that this street used to be a place for ladies of the night to hang out. However, they were moved on many years ago to another part of Leith that is not on the trail of this cache.

I think that The Forester is referring to the fact that this street used to be a place for ladies of the night to hang out. However, they were moved on many years ago to another part of Leith that is not on the trail of this cache.

;):cry::cry::cry::cry:

Now that is something I never knew!! Mind you I have never had the urge to find a lady of the night.