Pocket Query Madness

rural_cdn

I'm ready to give up here. :tired: No matter how hard I try, these two caches....

EOGPR001 - Baie des Atocas (GCTY96)

EOGPR011 - Village de Lefaivre (GCTYA9)

....do not show up in my pocket queries. I use most of the defaults settings, any container, any type, etc... I'll set the center point near them, using one as a center point even, 100K radius, 100 caches. I might end up with 70 or so caches, all around these two, but not them.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone run a test query to see if I'm going nuts? :laughing:

Ironically these are two I wanted to do near my sister yesterday. :lol:

They show up for me.

I used GCTY96 as the center point.

Not for me. :laughing: I even use that one as a center point.

Thanks.

Just a blank PQ

(I didn't select a day so it wouldn't gernerate an email)

500 caches

selected Waypoint Name entered GCTY96

500 miles

(not that the 500/500 makes a differene)

When you hit submit, does it populate the coordinates field with the coords from the cache?

Just a blank PQ

(I didn't select a day so it wouldn't gernerate an email)

500 caches

selected Waypoint Name entered GCTY96

500 miles

(not that the 500/500 makes a differene)

When you hit submit, does it populate the coordinates field with the coords from the cache?

Now it works. Two days of trying to get them listed and it works now. It works by using my postal code too. :laughing:

I still have no idea why they didn't show until now. *sigh*

Are you sure that your PQ is not getting more than the 500 cache limit and then is leaving out a few.?

I am not sure but I think that the extra ones left out are then random.

Yeah, I thought about that and upped the limits. In one test I got back 78 of a possible 100 caches... all around those two caches.

My guess is that you by accident have hooked off date placed or something.

I wish it were that simple.

Just ran another test for fun using GCTY96 as the centerpoint. It didn't show up.

I wonder if it's distance related or something...anything. I'm probably overlooking something, hmm.

Edited by rural_cdn

I did as Blue, created a new pq and filled inn GCTY96 as centerpoint, 100km radius and allowing 500 as uppper limit. I get 500 returned included the two you are missing. You get only 78? Strange. Any limitation in state/country/zip/type/icons....?

I did as Blue, created a new pq and filled inn GCTY96 as centerpoint, 100km radius and allowing 500 as uppper limit. I get 500 returned included the two you are missing. You get only 78? Strange. Any limitation in state/country/zip/type/icons....?

I had Ontario only selected at the time, probably reason why.

I manually enterted the two original missing caches into gsak, problem solved. :)

If the query is producing more than 500 caches it does not necessarily then give you the 500 NEAREST caches.

You will have to put other parameters into the PQ to restrict the selection to under the 500 limit. The best way would be to add a search radius. Start with 50 miles and run the PQ preview and adjust until you are just under the 500 limit.

Remember that if you are saving this query to run on a regular basis that new caches in the area may then take you over the limit again.

Other parameters you may want to change if you want to make multiple queries in a larger area are to enter "placed date" ranges for each of the queries. Some people also restrict the Diff/terrain to limit their caches to under the limit.

If the query is producing more than 500 caches it does not necessarily then give you the 500 NEAREST caches.

Sometimes...

If (and only if) you set a center point, it WILL (or is supposed to) return the closest 500... If its not, then you have most likely encountered a bug.

If you setup a PQ without a centerpioint, then the order is not from closest out. I'm not sure what the order would be in this case, but I "might assume" its in date order, or GC code order. Maybe Jeremy could clarify this question.

Sometimes...

If (and only if) you set a center point, it WILL (or is supposed to) return the closest 500... If its not, then you have most likely encountered a bug.

If you setup a PQ without a centerpioint, then the order is not from closest out. I'm not sure what the order would be in this case, but I "might assume" its in date order, or GC code order. Maybe Jeremy could clarify this question.

That's what happened to me. Even if I hit my 500 cache limit, the ones missing were'nt based on distance from center point, which I gave as a postal code.

Sometimes...

That's what happened to me. Even if I hit my 500 cache limit, the ones missing were'nt based on distance from center point, which I gave as a postal code.

Sorry, I wasn't replying directly to you (and I'm not infering that you did anything wrong). I was replying to the previous post that said the 500 caches that get returned aren't always the 500 closest caches, or that the missing ones were random, or whatever he said, I can't remember the exact phrasing right now.

I do believe you have hit some type of bug.

Here are two things I would suggest you try (I'd be curious of the results, but not sure what I would recommend besides turning it over to GC to fix).

First, when you set your zip code to the center, click on preview, do the distances on the left hand side of the page seem reasonable for the caches that are listed? (Entering a zip code just simply uses a set of coord's that GC has pre-defined, it could always be wrong).

Second, pick a cache that you know is close to the missing caches (the closer the better). On that cache's page, click on the show nearest caches link. Do the missing caches show up there?

If the first is wrong, then GC needs to fix the coords for that zip code.

If the second is wrong, then I would think there is something flaky about the (was it 2?) two missing caches.