Calling Any Symbian Users

I have a Psion Revo. I have sometimes wondered if I could blow the cobwebs off it and use it for paperless caching. I was upset at the demise of Psion as they were far better than Palm and Wince at the time.

And what exactly has that got to do with Symbian users?

Edited by HooloovooUK

I have a Psion Revo. I have sometimes wondered if I could blow the cobwebs off it and use it for paperless caching. I was upset at the demise of Psion as they were far better than Palm and Wince at the time.

And what exactly has that got to do with Symbian users?

Quite a lot I should have thought; Psion developed, and the Revo runs using, the Symbian OS.

Bit hostile around here over the recent months isn't it? :blink:

I've an old Nokia 6600 that runs some version of a symbian OS, would be interested to see if I could resurrect it to use for paperless caching.

On a related note, I did spend a long while looking for a simple image viewer for symbian (or my new sony ericsson) that I could use to scroll around map images. Never found a good one though.

Bit hostile around here over the recent months isn't it? :)

I've an old Nokia 6600 that runs some version of a symbian OS, would be interested to see if I could resurrect it to use for paperless caching.

On a related note, I did spend a long while looking for a simple image viewer for symbian (or my new sony ericsson) that I could use to scroll around map images. Never found a good one though.

Aparently, Memorymap have a new version which is supposed to work on symbian phones. Never tried it or heard of anyone doing it. My nokia 6600 uses tomtom mobile. Not sure if I want to use it for memory map as well. The battery wouldn't be able to take it. My PDA will have to suffice.

Which phone have you got Globetrotter?

I recently got a Motorola A1000 (also a Symbian OS) as a free upgrade and have successfully got cache pages into it, a bit laboriously, and perhaps not most elegantly but they are there. Got them in on .pdf and it should be possible to also get them in in HTML when I set my mind to it. (i.e. ask Rutson for more help)!!! :)

I've got a Nokia N70. I use the free Mobipocket reader and download

the Mobipocket files at the same time as the .gpx files.

Also got the Streetmap add on from O2, the geocaching applet for

updating whilst out and about, and insta notify set up for new caches in the

area.

That covers about all i need and works well for me.

I use my REVO for caching. I store the cache page as a text file. Not tried to do mapping. Not enough brain in a REVO. Have made up a car charger for extended cache trips.

Quickly, process is:

hit decrypt clue first.

copy cache name or GCcode.

Save cache page from Firefox as Text file, using copied name or GCcode as file name.

Use NOTESPAD.exe to strip out HTML code from text files.

Use BKReplacem to strip out common unwanted text.

manually delete carriage returns.

load onto REVO.

Phew. Its not quick. There's probably a web page viewer for REVO!

totally off topic, ancient Symbian fore runner kit :rolleyes: