Which Gpsr Do You Own And Why?

I have both the Vista C and the Legend C. I started with the eTrex Vista, but soon found I really wanted the auto-routing feature of the newer units.

I like the eTrex because of its small size for hiking. Because the 'x' units are out now, you can get a Legend C on eBay for less than $200.00 if you shop around.

I run a PocketPC with GPSDash2 and a CF GPSr. View my profile if you want URLs and more details.

1) I can import LOC and GPX files, and set GoTo.

2) It cycles FAST! Within 3 - 4 feet, I have a compess refresh to keep me on track.

3) MAPS! I make my own and convert them with there Map Manager. I have one that is 2K X 2K pixels, covers an 80X80 mile area. Its calibrated and accurate to within 5 feet. I also have arial maps at 8M/pixel, can do 1M, but I need more memory on my laptop! Doah! (The JPEG was 260 megs in size).

4) Accuracy: I typically am within 2-4 feet. If I am supplied GOOD co-ords, Ill get right on it.

5) Display dash: I can view 5 dials of info at one time.... One of which is DOP, and I can keep an eye on that. The lower the number, the better. 10 and above is so-so... If I see it spike over 5, I wait a second and get a new bearing. I average 1.4 DOP even under HEAVY CANOPY.

I also run Mapopolis, for spoken street navigation with scrolling and spinning vector maps. All of Virginia, including POIs is only 24 meg. :-)

I already had the PPC, bought the CF GPSr and program. Im loving life!!

HTH,

Andrew

I have a Garmin 60cs and a new 60csx. I bought the first one because I was tired of using one GPS (StreetPilot III) for auto-routing and another (an old Garmin GPS45) for geocaching.

I like the 60c models because they are a fantastic multi-purpose unit and because I am very loyal to Garmin because of their top-notch service (they just replaced my 60cs for a reasonable price after it was run over by a car).

I LOVE my new 60csx because it has that ultra-sensitive receiver that allows me to get good satellite signals in less than optimum locations. Also, the expandable memory card inside allows for HUGE amounts of maps to be loaded when I get around to buying a larger card for it.

Considering how terrible Magellan customer support has become, I don't think I could recommend that anyone purchase one of their units at this point in time.

Edited by YuccaPatrol

I'm looking to upgrade from my Magellan eXplorist 200. I'm tired of hand entering coordinates. Thanks!

Do you like your 200? If so, consider a 210. It is a good bargain.

I have 3 eXplorists. A 100 that I started with. Upgraded to the 400 because I got tired of manually entering coords and wanted mapping capability. Then my 400 needed a repair. Had no problems with Magellan service. I used my 100 while the 400 was out getting fixed. I decided my backup receiver should also have computer connectivity, so I bought a 210. The 100 will probably be sold soon. Now I have my 400 back and I'm very happy with it. I used DirectRoute for the first time this weekend and like my GPSr more than before.

If you want an eXplorist with an SD slot, consider the 500 or 500 LE. They have a color screen, which is nice for mapping. They don't have all the sensors either, which seem to cause nothing but problems. The difference between the 500 and 500 LE is that the LE (comes out in July) uses AAA batteries instead of a lithium-ion pack.

I like the eXplorists because their receiver performs very well. Especially the 4/5/600 with the most recent firmware update. On the units with computer connectivity, I really like the file system (just like Windows) and how you can edit POI files and tracklogs in Notepad.

I considered buying a 76Cx for my primary unit and demoting the 400 to a backup. After reading the plethora of problems with the new 60 and 76 x-series Garmins, I reconsidered. Most of the bugs in the eXplorists have been straightened out. I didn't want to wait a year for Garmin to fix the freezing compass page or shutdown problem described by paulamur and others. So I decided to upgrade my backup to a 210 and keep the 400 as my primary.

Edited by geognerd

I bought a Garmin 92 back in 1998. I used it primarily for aviation when I started flying as a young teenager. I have kept it in very good condition through the years. I was planning on selling it since I haven't been flying in the last couple of years. Once I heard about this I Pulled it back out and loaded it with some batteries. It still works greatand tracks off of 12 satellites. I just enter in the lat/longs as user waypoints and hit navigate and off it goes. There's no multi color function, but it does have a cool backlight option, speed in knots/mph, altitude tracker, moving map, alarms for when I am approaching waypoints, etc . Back in the day it was the hottness, but obviously it has been discontinued since then. Still works great though. I just found my first cache today at the Meatstack, Meatlocker and Day Spa in Columbus Ohio :laughing:. If I stick with this I will probably upgrade to something newer, but this does the job very well.

GET A GARMIN, ANY GARMIN... I OWN 3 OF THEM AN ETREX, VENTURE, AND MAP60CS, I USE THE VENTURE ON MY 4 WHEELER IN THE MUD,SAND,RAIN,SNOW NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. IT EVEN GET WASHED WITH THE POWER WASHER WHEN WASHING THE WHEELER. AFTER LOOKING AT THE POSTS AND SEEING THE PROBLEMS OTHER HAVE WITH THE Magellan I SAY GET A GARMIN... IT HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN, AND MINE GETS ABUSED... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Edited by MN-CACHE-TRACKER

A Geko 101 because it was cheap and it works good. I don't power hunt so I don't mind the manual coord entry. I also like having just a pointer giving me straight line navigation, letting me do the figuring on how to get there instead of a mapping program giving me turn by turn directions.

edit to add: I'm thinking about an upgrade to a yellow eTrex, for the bigger screen and WAAS.

Edited by hikergps

I'm looking to upgrade from my Magellan eXplorist 200. I'm tired of hand entering coordinates. Thanks!

There is an aftermarket cable you can purchase that will let you connect your unit to your PC. Its about $35 and probably cheaper than getting another GPSr.

I like the 60c models because they are a fantastic multi-purpose unit and because I am very loyal to Garmin because of their top-notch service (they just replaced my 60cs for a reasonable price after it was run over by a car).

What do youthink Garmin would do if I sent my non functional Magellan Sporttrak to them for repair. Now that would be a real test f service.