Canada Multi-cache

GeeOCachers

After seeing this thread, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=135615 and the sucess it is starting to enjoy, I thought it would be great to bring this idea to Canada as well! Who's up for maintaining a cache in a province to be a part of this series?

I'd be happy to maintain the main cache page. What we basically need is someone to place a cache in each province (in or near the capitol of each province), as well as someone to place the final. Once we have all people in place, including the final, each provincial placer would take a small part of the coordinates for the final and make that the clue in the cache they place! Each cache can be whatever the maintainer wants, multi, micro, regular..whatever!

Let's make this a fun!

Alberta (Edmonton)

Nunavut (Iqaluit)

British Columbia (Victoria)

Ontario (Toronto) - Keith Watson

Manitoba (Winnipeg)

Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown)

New Brunswick (Fredericton)

Quebec (Québec City)

Newfoundland and Labrador (St. John's)

Saskatchewan (Regina)

Northwest Territories (Yellowknife)

Yukon (Whitehorse)

Nova Scotia (Halifax)

FINAL - TAKEN

If you think I am nuts.. that's ok, just don't be rude or negative. If you have a suggestion, please put it forth. if you want to help out.. even better!

Edited by eelow&beelow

I think this is a good idea. However, I'm of the mind that the caches should be subtantial ones placed in the capital city of each province/territory in a location of some historic significance to the growth of our nation. The coordinates for the final should be calculable from information found in each of the caches.

Of course, I could be wrong...

I agree. The final should be in Ottawa. I think it should be very unique though.

Nicolo, do you want to do Edmonton?

You're in Keith! Thanks for stepping forward and being first to commit!

Well, if you're insisting that it be in a provincial capital then I'll have to pass as I live

in Calgary and would just end up getting a Edmonton cacher maintain it for me.

However, if it doesn't have to be in a provincial capital, then I'll put one in Calgary.

Edited by nicolo

can't edit my original post anymore.. but here is the updated list...

Alberta (Edmonton) - TeamRB&R

Nunavut (Iqaluit)

British Columbia (Victoria) - Landsharkz

Manitoba (Winnipeg)

Quebec (Québec City)

Saskatchewan (Regina)

Yukon (Whitehorse)

Nova Scotia (Halifax) - The Lost Geeks

FINAL - TAKEN

Edited by eelow&beelow

I'll do the Alberta leg. However I don't live in Edmonton ( the capital ) but everyone knows that Calgary is the center of Alberta anyway, :laughing:

7f2ee75e-9b4e-4621-bd63-756d8e376011.jpg

My Profile: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=39...ff-51322bc8701a

WWW: http://ranger-bob.net/

Ranger Bob steps up for The City of Champions -- Home Of The Oilers... and the one and only Capital of Alberta. Email me with yer thoughts 'eelow&beelow' on how you wish to set this up, and I'll have an ammo can good to go for placement somrwhere along the Yellowhead Trail.

Nice try Nicolo. :unsure:

http://battleofalberta.blogspot.com/ (We all know the score!)

post-65-1150509702.gif

Edited by TeamRB&R

I've taken part in two different multi cache projects like this in the past that have spanned over great geographic distances. Although both projects have been followed through I found there were several problems with them along the way and things didn't work out in the end exactly as desired.

The biggest problems was a schedule. I think that's the 1st thing you need to do is to make a schedule of when you want these caches placed and submitted by. Once the schedule is made, then get people to join the project and commit to it. You would be surprised how many people say they would do something and then when you say that the cache needs to be placed in 2 months time, that people will say that it is not enough time. Or if it drags on too long, you will find people dropping out and then you are left with a gap in the project.

Maybe a moot point but Newfoundland and Labrador is a two part province, small island and big mainland part, wonder if there should be two parts to the cache for the NL one???? Maybe one in Goose Bay or Labrador City?????? Course some would say the same for Cape Breton and Nova Scotia *s*

Making a schedule is one thing.. however since we are so far off actually getting all the people in place, I would at least like to try to find most of the people and then make a schedule.

Updated list:

Nunavut (Iqaluit)

Manitoba (Winnipeg)

Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown) - thecyr

Quebec (Québec City) - Marmacette

Newfoundland and Labrador (St. John's) - Keith3333

Saskatchewan (Regina)

Yukon (Whitehorse)

FINAL - TAKEN

Hey.. we are getting there! Please pass the word! The faster we get the people in place, the faster we can get a schedule together to make this a reality.

Edited by eelow&beelow

Yet another updated list. Thanks WannerClan!

Nunavut (Iqaluit)

Manitoba (Winnipeg)

New Brunswick (Fredericton) - timrs2001

Saskatchewan (Regina) - WannerClan

Yukon (Whitehorse)

Does anybody Geocache in Nunavut, The NWT or the Yukon? :ph34r: How about anyone from NB and Manitoba!

Edited by eelow&beelow

Count me in for Fredericton.

Sounds great!

Tim

After seeing this thread, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=135615 and the sucess it is starting to enjoy, I thought it would be great to bring this idea to Canada as well! Who's up for maintaining a cache in a province to be a part of this series?

I'd be happy to maintain the main cache page. What we basically need is someone to place a cache in each province (in or near the capitol of each province), as well as someone to place the final. Once we have all people in place, including the final, each provincial placer would take a small part of the coordinates for the final and make that the clue in the cache they place! Each cache can be whatever the maintainer wants, multi, micro, regular..whatever!

Let's make this a fun!

Alberta (Edmonton)

Nunavut (Iqaluit)

Manitoba (Winnipeg)

Quebec (Québec City)

Saskatchewan (Regina)

Yukon (Whitehorse)

Nova Scotia (Halifax)

FINAL - TAKEN

If you think I am nuts.. that's ok, just don't be rude or negative. If you have a suggestion, please put it forth. if you want to help out.. even better!

Count me in for Fredericton.

Sounds great!

Tim

Let's make this a fun!

Alberta (Edmonton)

Nunavut (Iqaluit)

Manitoba (Winnipeg)

Quebec (Québec City)

Saskatchewan (Regina)

Yukon (Whitehorse)

Nova Scotia (Halifax)

FINAL - TAKEN

Let's make this a fun!

Alberta (Edmonton)

Nunavut (Iqaluit)

Manitoba (Winnipeg)

Quebec (Québec City)

Saskatchewan (Regina)

Yukon (Whitehorse)

Nova Scotia (Halifax)

FINAL - TAKEN

I don't know if this went through but I can do Fredericton.

Yet another updated list. Thanks WannerClan!

Nunavut (Iqaluit)

Manitoba (Winnipeg)

New Brunswick (Fredericton) - timrs2001

Saskatchewan (Regina) - WannerClan

Yukon (Whitehorse)

Does anybody Geocache in Nunavut, The NWT or the Yukon? :anicute: How about anyone from NB and Manitoba!

In NUNAVUT, there are only 8 caches placed by 8 differents people..

In NWT, there are 33 caches and most active placer is Eclectic ..

In YUKON, there are 60 caches and 3-4 active placers..

In MANITOBA, there are 764 caches.. I bet someone will be willing to help, if contacted!

Look these people up.. send them a message. You'll get your missing 4!

Good luck! :ph34r:

Wish I could say that I would help for Nunavut, but my cache there was put on an expedition. As for NB, I might be able to play.. being only 20 kms away and all.

You are in luck. I am in the military and posetd to Quebec City area. My wife is staying here in NB so we can do a double whammy and keep both maintained!!

DoH!! Thought I had read through the whole thread, but guess I looked at an older update. My services are no longer needed. Unless of course, people would be willing to pay me to fly up north...

Edited by Bzzliteyr

It maybe seen as taking the "easy solution"... but wouldn't just the 10 provincial capitals be enough? Not only is it going to be hard to find people to place and maintain the territories caches, the inclusion of those caches will make the final cache almost impossible. It seems to me that adding the 3 territories capitals switches this cache for most people from "maybe some day I could" to "no way".

Not that I wouldn't love to see Nunavut, but flying to Iqaluit is far from affordable (and pretty much the only way to get there).

Just my suggestion to make this cache a bit easier to create... and maybe possible to find :rolleyes:

It maybe seen as taking the "easy solution"... but wouldn't just the 10 provincial capitals be enough? Not only is it going to be hard to find people to place and maintain the territories caches, the inclusion of those caches will make the final cache almost impossible. It seems to me that adding the 3 territories capitals switches this cache for most people from "maybe some day I could" to "no way".

Not that I wouldn't love to see Nunavut, but flying to Iqaluit is far from affordable (and pretty much the only way to get there).

Just my suggestion to make this cache a bit easier to create... and maybe possible to find :unsure:

Very good point! :rolleyes:

Perhaps for the northern most caches there can be a "bypass" clue once all the others are found? A sort of a "way out" to avoid getting up there? I personally think this cache idea is two years late.. as in the past two I have gone across the country twice!!

I would agree here. High north caches are inherently much more difficult than something you might find near a major city (Yellowknife, Whitehorse and Iqaluit do not count as "major" cities) due to the relative expense and difficulty of getting there. There should probably be some sort of bonus for doing the YK/NWT/Nunavut caches.