Geocaching Racial Makeup?

Martin Luther King tried so hard to make us all equal, but everyone tries so hard to seperate themselves into different little groups.

"God made all men, Sam Colt made them equal"

Bonus points if you tell me what movie I heard that in.

Quigley Down Under

Martin Luther King tried so hard to make us all equal, but everyone tries so hard to seperate themselves into different little groups.

Hidalgo

Beats me...there's a similar quote in A Pistol For Ringo (an old Spaghetti western) that goes "God created all men equal...but the six gun made them different" but I doubt that's what you're talking about.

There's also a quote in Barbarosa that goes:

Karl: I killed a fella back in Texas. A big dadgum fella too.

Barbarosa: Well, old Sam Colt makes everybody just about the same size.

Karl: I didn't shoot him. I hit him with a tree limb.

EDIT: Oh wait, is it Wyapp Earp? Definitely a western anyways.

But back on topic...ok, i have nothing to contribute.

Edited by ThePropers

Quigley Down Under

Bingo! :laughing:

It also could have been on another movie, but I know I heard it there.

Okay, I've joked around enough.

Something made me wonder the other day...I've never seen a picture of a black/asian/etc., cacher. I've only seen white people. What IS the racial makeup of the caching community?

If you REALLY need to see some pictures of some cachers of color, check out my gallery... I've got two in the making.

*tallies* 2....and the count begins. :laughing:

Honestly it was just a curiousity thing...I know here in the U.P. of Michigan that are about 6 asians and two african americans. That was kind of a shock to me, since I moved here from a place that was HIGHLY diverse to the point of not being able to talk to half of the people in my school because of language differences.

We will never become truly 100% all human beings as long as every form you fill out asks about what race you are. And everytime something bad happens to an ethnic group, they blame it on the color of their skin as opposed to what is inside.

Martin Luther King would be disgusted with how everyone is behaving.. This is not what he wanted or envisioned..

I hope you don't think I was being negative >.< Race is not a big thing to me at all, just (as I mentioned,) curiousity...

Well I am part indian, Irish, german, and I'm sure at one point in time I had a great aunt that was african-american. :laughing:

So what percent do I fit in? :laughing:

What is African-American? Does that mean you have dual citizenship in both Africa and America? Why can't we just be American's? The term "African-American" in itself is racist. Martin Luther King tried so hard to make us all equal, but everyone tries so hard to seperate themselves into different little groups.

Well...ReadyOrNot...perhaps it is to acknowledge that these American's have a heritage and culture that is unique in this country. Most "African" American's have an ancestry that is largely untraceable, their ancestors came here against there will, and this is a small way of paying homage to that. Perhaps one day such "labels" will not be used, but I seem to know a number of "Irish," "German," and "Italian" etc. "American's" that proudly called themselves as such at one time or another.

Give me a call sometime and we can discuss it over a beer or two. :laughing:

I'm trying to push the "I'm not being racist I'm just curious for social purposes" thing..I really am just curious >.<

About a month or so ago, there was an article in the Seattle Times about a dearth of blacks visiting our state parks here in Washington state and national parks in general. It gave no solution and there was no quote from any national race victimology merchants demanding quotas or free admission, etc. It was just a noted observation with some comments that camping, hiking, outsdoor activities are not that popular among african americans, etc.

I guess since geocaching is an outdoor activity like visiting state and national parks and related activities, the vast majority of geocachers are probably going to be Caucasian.

For the most part, this is a hobby created by techies for techies and whites seen to have a monopoly on geekdom-for better or for worse.

I'm trying to push the "I'm not being racist I'm just curious for social purposes" thing..I really am just curious >.<

About a month or so ago, there was an article in the Seattle Times about a dearth of blacks visiting our state parks here in Washington state and national parks in general. It gave no solution and there was no quote from any national race victimology merchants demanding quotas or free admission, etc. It was just a noted observation with some comments that camping, hiking, outsdoor activities are not that popular among african americans, etc.

I guess since geocaching is an outdoor activity like visiting state and national parks and related activities, the vast majority of geocachers are probably going to be Caucasian.

For the most part, this is a hobby created by techies for techies and whites seen to have a monopoly on geekdom-for better or for worse.

This is where the argument about opportunity and economics kicks in. Most minorities are in the lower income brackets, live in economically stricken areas, and attend poorly-funded schools. What this adds up to is that they are not exposed to technology, not taught how to use and enjoy it, and even if they had, they usually cannot afford it. PC's, GPSr's, Internet Access, and Gas for the cachemobile all cost money which a lot of people are unwilling to pay. Granted, people (of all demographics) spend a lot of money on 'status' items like clothes, shoes, and bumblebee mufflers for their StreetRacer Car.

Not a lot of street cred when it comes to smilies...

Homo Sapiens started in Africa, so I suppose most of us in the US are Afro-Americans.

When cut to the chase you are right. Africa has the most genetic diversity in it's people. The rest of the world is just a DNA subset derived from those few who left.

Not everyone believes we evolved from Monkees (I for one). In fact, it's somewhat offensive if you think about it.

What do monkeys have to do with my post? Did they have their own DNA migration study?

We will never become truly 100% all human beings as long as every form you fill out asks about what race you are. And everytime something bad happens to an ethnic group, they blame it on the color of their skin as opposed to what is inside.

Martin Luther King would be disgusted with how everyone is behaving.. This is not what he wanted or envisioned..

Totally agree. Of course, time heals all wounds. Anybody remember the hatred and bigotry between Catholics and Protestants in this country? The hatred of the Irish? Italians? Those discriminations have had a bit more time to go away and pretty much have disappeared. I expect the color of skin issue will also die and go away given time. After all, in my lifetime were "colored" drinking fountains, mandatory separation, etc. and I am only 45. I am a patient person. A few more generations and people will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Something made me wonder the other day...I've never seen a picture of a black/asian/etc., cacher. I've only seen white people. What IS the racial makeup of the caching community?

100% Human Being.

Except for a few hamsters, weasels and rabbits.

And Possums!! :laughing:

:laughing:

And Chinchillas!! :laughing::laughing:

Well, Harry insists that he's a dolphin. And he usually caches with a bear.

[ Anybody remember the hatred and bigotry between Catholics and Protestants in this country? The hatred of the Irish? Italians? Those discriminations have had a bit more time to go away and pretty much have disappeared. I expect the color of skin issue will also die and go away given time. After all, in my lifetime were "colored" drinking fountains, mandatory separation, etc. and I am only 45. I am a patient person. A few more generations and people will wonder what all the fuss was about.

The Anglos against the Saxons.

If you shook the family tree you'd find:

Dutch

Scots

English

German

Irish

and much, much more.

As I believe that political correctness is one of the ultimate evils... I refuse to be hyphenated and am proud to remain AMERICAN.

I respect and honor where my ancestors came from, but I love where I was born.

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

Madmike? You totally stole that from author (and friend of mine) Michael Z. Williamson. That's his handle for everything online. AIM, LJ, ad infinitum.

On a side note: I wouldn't mind knowing who is not caucasian....mainly because I'm incredably attracted to people that are not the everyday type of "single white female", and would like to know who to flirt with. *evil Grin*. Not a very good reason, I know.

:)

Oh. Yeah. BTW: I'm almost entirely made up of Pennsylvania Dutch. Germanic stock...north-eastern part of europe. *shrugs* We were mostly quakers if I remember correctly.*snort*

Tom Selleck in Quigley, Down Under.

Darn, I knew I should have checked the next page... :)

Edited by Allanon

...As I believe that political correctness is one of the ultimate evils... I refuse to be hyphenated and am proud to remain AMERICAN. I respect and honor where my ancestors came from, but I love where I was born....

Variations of Hyphenated Americansm quotes that experess a similar sentament can be found right back to the founding fathers of this country.

If you shook the family tree you'd find:

Dutch

Scots

English

German

Irish

and much, much more.

As I believe that political correctness is one of the ultimate evils... I refuse to be hyphenated and am proud to remain AMERICAN.

I respect and honor where my ancestors came from, but I love where I was born.

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

Madmike? You totally stole that from author (and friend of mine) Michael Z. Williamson. That's his handle for everything online. AIM, LJ, ad infinitum.

There's lots 'n' lots of "madmike's" out in cyberspace. Mine is always one word (no space) and lowercase.

Every once in a while I get email from another madmike. I frequently get fan email for Extreme Moto-X Stunt Rider "Mad Mike Jones". Of course it doesn't help that along with the "madmike" part, our last names are also only different by one letter. I've also exchanged email with Mad Mike from "Pimp My Ride".

I oughta make a list!

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

Well, now you've done it. If the political correct kooks read this thread they'll want to pass a law that no more in the majority can take up the game until all of the minorities catch up. :o For those disadvantaged that can't afford a GPS, a tax will be added for each one sold so they can be given to welfare recipients, who will then get all the FTF awards because they will be out caching while the rest of us are working. :D Then Algore will pull out some more pseudo-science because everyone is burning all that fossil fuel looking for geocaches and poking holes in the ozone layer. :unsure: Eventually there will have to be separate web sites for Irish Americans, Italian Americans, African Americans, Hispanic Americans, English Americans, French Americans, Indian Americans, not to mention Christian Americans, Jewish Americans, Muslem Americans, Hindu Americans, etc. etc. etc. :D Time's up, I'm sitting down now.

I thought the only Race in Geocaching was to the FTF.

Team Sand Dollar

DING,DING,DING! We have a winner! :unsure:

I just love this response, and fits my opinion to a T, even though I don't really go after FTF's.

I used to sail in regatta's, part of the beercan fleet. Our motto was simple

"Last one to the fridge/cooler gets no beer". That was the only racing any of us really cared about.

Same attitude here.

Red

Edited by Red Iguana

Totally agree. Of course, time heals all wounds. Anybody remember the hatred and bigotry between Catholics and Protestants in this country? The hatred of the Irish? Italians? Those discriminations have had a bit more time to go away and pretty much have disappeared. I expect the color of skin issue will also die and go away given time. After all, in my lifetime were "colored" drinking fountains, mandatory separation, etc. and I am only 45. I am a patient person. A few more generations and people will wonder what all the fuss was about.

My sister married a Guatemalan, as nice, honest and hard-working a fellow as you'll ever meet, a good husband to her and great dad to their son. After being in the States 22 years, long after becoming a citizen, ten years after her death and his having been a role-model single dad, his home was attacked; his barn, car and airplane burned, inside of the home destroyed with ball bats and spray paint, by some white power group - the funny part was they didn't know what he was - on some walls they wrote "Die Nigger" and on another wrote "Next time these words will be written in wetback blood", so they knew he was different, just weren't sure how. Evidently his dark skin and curly hair alone made him a target.

On the topic of progress, I wonder if we've made much, or whether we've wrapped it in politically-correct obscurity, still simmering but now mostly out of sight.

I am reminded of a Southern bus driver who tired of his passengers arguing over who must sit in the back. Finally he pulled over, ordered everyone off the bus, and told them "I am sick of this black and white arguing, it stops right now. As far as I am concerned every one of you is green! Now, get back on the bus, dark green, get in the back!"

I have to wonder if that 'hidden' unspoken kind of racism isn't a part of why geocaching isn't more attractive to the black community.

I remember at GW2 meeting a black man and asking about his caching experiences, he shrugged it off and told me he was just the cook. I have met literally thousands of geocachers in 24 states, yet I've met only one black geocacher, and he rarely attends events.

I have to believe that it's more than a culture-difference thing.

One of the most Racist atitudes I've ever come across is the idiotic idea that only white anglo-saxon descendant prodestant men from the south can be racisists. Racism and bigotry knows no such boundaries.

Most American are mutts. I have mixed ancestry that includes Crow (indian) even though I am caucasion.

But the question here is not about racism, but about demographics. I think it has more to do with the individuals ability to be comfortable in solo outdoor activities.

My theory is that people who grew up in rural or small town setting are comfortable with hiking, climbing, geocaching, simply because in small town and rural settings, these are usually safe solo outdoor activities. In the cities, however, being alone in a park may put you as risk of being mugged.

Since minority populations (particularly immigrants) tend to be denser in the cities, they grow up being less comfortable with solo outdoor activities and are more comfortable with social activities (eg team sports)

I wonder if any research have benn done on this topic.

One of the most Racist atitudes I've ever come across is the idiotic idea that only white anglo-saxon descendant prodestant men from the south can be racisists. Racism and bigotry knows no such boundaries.

Most American are mutts. I have mixed ancestry that includes Crow (indian) even though I am caucasion.

But the question here is not about racism, but about demographics. I think it has more to do with the individuals ability to be comfortable in solo outdoor activities.

My theory is that people who grew up in rural or small town setting are comfortable with hiking, climbing, geocaching, simply because in small town and rural settings, these are usually safe solo outdoor activities. In the cities, however, being alone in a park may put you as risk of being mugged.

Since minority populations (particularly immigrants) tend to be denser in the cities, they grow up being less comfortable with solo outdoor activities and are more comfortable with social activities (eg team sports)

I wonder if any research have benn done on this topic.

Not especially. When someone does post an observation they do tend to note that "minorites" flat out don't like camping and hiking as much as "non minorities". Perhaps for the reasons you note. Where someone was raised mainstream (regardless of skin color based minority status) they were more than happy to go camping and caching because that's how they grew up. Ignoring anything else, people who are 'city' and people who are 'country' have a different view on outdoor sports even when raised in the same family. Some people want to be city slickers and some want to be country folk, and that is a core value that goes to the bone even if you don't live where you would like to live.

This thread's much tamer then last time.

I'd like to rescind my previous post at this time.

Thank you.

Why? Is it because I'm black?

You're black? Then by definition you can't be a geocacher. Are you quite certain about that? Perhaps you want to be a Jamaican, it is not too late to change. :mad::(:laughing:

...You're black? Then by definition you can't be a geocacher. Are you quite certain about that? Perhaps you want to be a Jamaican, it is not too late to change. :mad::(:laughing:

I've got too many question marks and dead ends in the family tree to rule out any race from my background. In another study (based on the DNA studies going on for the human race) a lot of people idenified themselves with the race they thought they were, but the DNA said otherwise. Their identity was based less on reality than perception. That's the long way to say that people are, what they think they are.

...You're black? Then by definition you can't be a geocacher. Are you quite certain about that? Perhaps you want to be a Jamaican, it is not too late to change. :mad::anibad::(

I've got too many question marks and dead ends in the family tree to rule out any race from my background. In another study (based on the DNA studies going on for the human race) a lot of people idenified themselves with the race they thought they were, but the DNA said otherwise. Their identity was based less on reality than perception. That's the long way to say that people are, what they think they are.

Not if they have a legal birth certificate and state issued picture identification card. You can 'think' any thing that you so desire because in the end, it doesn't matter. :laughing::laughing::laughing: