Garmin Legend Verses Gps 60

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend.. I want to use it more for geocaching and POI (Points of Interest) Mapping roads and streets is not a big issue. I find I currently lose reception under any light cover.

I read about the Garmin GPS 60.. basic but has all the features I want as far as a geocaching mode and can handle local POI (Points of Interest) it has a quad antenna, so I hope for better reception under light cover.

(Which is pretty much any place I go )

So what do the experts on here think about this? Am I down grading? by going to the GPS 60? I have

24 megs of storage (Legend) vs 1 Meg (GPS 60) but I don't see that as a problem, since I am only loading

Points of Interest. Also the GPS 60 adds Audible Alarms when close to at next way point?

What would you do?

Edited by dbly1850

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend.. I want to use it more for geocaching and POI (Points of Interest) Mapping roads and streets is not a big issue. I find I currently lose reception under any light cover.

I read about the Garmin GPS 60.. basic but has all the features I want as far as a geocaching mode and can handle local POI (Points of Interest) it has a quad antenna, so I hope for better reception under light cover.

(Which is pretty much any place I go )

So what do the experts on here think about this? Am I down grading? by going to the GPS 60? I have

24 megs of storage (Legend) vs 1 Meg (GPS 60) but I don't see that as a problem, since I am only loading

Points of Interest. Also the GPS 60 adds Audible Alarms when close to at next way point?

What would you do?

I was using a Legend for hiking, this was before I started doing any caching. I found the same problem, loss of signal under almost any tree cover, made it close to wothless.

I finally gave up on the Legend and bought a 60 CSx. If I were you I'd take a close look at the 60 C(S)x series.

Rick

The 60C(S)x is an excellent suggestion, but if you cannot spend that much money, you might look at the Legend C or the Vista C. They get a lock much quicker than the old Legend and old Vista and they keep the lock very well.

Now that the 'x' units of those models are out, those units are discontinued, but you can find new ones on eBay. I have seen the Legend C for less than $200.00. Both of those units have the auto-routing feature if you later purchase the maps.

The 60C(S)x is an excellent suggestion, but if you cannot spend that much money, you might look at the Legend C or the Vista C. They get a lock much quicker than the old Legend and old Vista and they keep the lock very well.

Now that the 'x' units of those models are out, those units are discontinued, but you can find new ones on eBay. I have seen the Legend C for less than $200.00. Both of those units have the auto-routing feature if you later purchase the maps.

Thanks so much for the reply. I checked into the 60Csx, and the wife said for that kind of money it BETTER, interface with the cruise control ->drive the car->while making coffee :blink: I am sure with the new chip set it's the way to go. However, my job pays for and makes me carry a blackberry. So I have Google map, which gives me full auto routing, maps (even satilite photos) So I can get to the location with no problem. That's why the Garmin GPS 60 looks so good. Got a quad antenna, WAAS, and the price is 150 bucks out the door. Doesn't need extra software for mapping and it comes with a cable to download the days caches.