Going On A Trip, Need Help Finding Caches

Team JSAM

I am going on a trip a small one about 200 miles one way and want to find some caches on my way whats the best way to find ones by the highway?

Route your trip via Google Earth and save it as a KML, not a KMZ. Send me that KML file and I'll send you a GPX of all the caches along that route.

-Raine

Once you get away from Reno, there isn't a ton of caches out there. Just pan from geocaching.com and write them down. I use a querie for Reno and one near Elko. That just about covers them all without getting fancy. You can use your mapsource map and just highlight all the ones near the highway, then copy (cntrl c), go into Excel and paste (cntrl v), and you will have a list. Add numbers to them, and get caching.

Since you use GSAK, start there with the queries, add smart names, add the Type/diff/terr/size/hint codes to the description field, and then export them to mapsource.....and continue. You will have the excel sheet with hints and everything you need.

I've found most of the ones near the highway.

I believe there is also a way to create a route in mapsource, save or export it back to gsak, and then filter by coords using that route. I remember telling gsak to give me all the caches within 10 miles of my route..... but that wasn't worth the effort.

Now I just put everything in gsak, and export to mapsource, cut off the ones I won't be looking for, and then make a one page, clean list in excel. Then dump the gsak stuff into a pda for backup, and dump the mapsource stuff into the Garmin 60CS so I have the ratings and the hints available (also the name of the cache is normally a hint).

For a short trip like that I would just pan with Google Earth. When you see a cache you might want to do, click on "view cache details" and if you like it, click on "bookmark it." Then make a PQ with your bookmark list and use the other tools people have mentioned (I use GSAK and Cachemate) to get them in your GPS and PDA.

I even use this method for long trips, because I want to read about the caches I am choosing. Also, I generally avoid stopping in major metropolitan areas when I'm traveling and my method lets me pass right over the clutter in and around a big city.

Yes . . . I know about that method. I have that thread linked in my blog and used that method for a 1300 mile trip I took this spring.

But the new feature they are working on for the site seems to depend on Google Earth . . . I just wanted to see if there was a workaround for those of us who cannot use Google Earth.

Route your trip via Google Earth and save it as a KML, not a KMZ. Send me that KML file and I'll send you a GPX of all the caches along that route.

-Raine

Is that an open offer? :laughing:

Or, better yet, is there (or will there soon be) a way for users to do that themselves?

I can't use Google Earth either, due to ancient OS.

What I've recently done to find caches along a prospective route is utilize the new google geocaching maps. Somewhat like what Ventura Kids said... although you don't have to write them down.

If you pan along your route with the new maps, you'll see a list of the geocaches along the right side of the screen. Beside each one is a little indiscernable icon, which if clicked, will add that particular cache to a bookmark.

Go through your route bookmarking all those caches you're interested in. Now run a pocket query on that bookmark. In minutes you'll have a .gpx of all the caches along your route.

I've found this to be the most efficient method for shorter trips like you're proposing.

Jamie

-Raine

Is that an open offer? :laughing:

Or, better yet, is there (or will there soon be) a way for users to do that themselves?

Never mind, I just saw this. Thanks guys (and girls)!

Okay, that is a pretty cool link, but . . . I think Jamie Z and I are in the same boat. Neither of us can use Google Earth.

My Internet connection is so slow (24K), I cannot even use Google Maps . . . I will have to create the .gpx files for any route I might follow on any future road trip using Mapsource and GSAK.