New Feature Request- Custom Cache Type Icon

Cornerstone4

I couldn't find a thread for this, so forgive me if it has been covered.

Over in the topics thread, we have been discussing a "50 States" series.

The idea is to have 1 specific cache in each of the 50 states as part of a series. Each cache will have some piece of info that will be needed to complete the final cache. It hasn't been decided where the final will be, but somewhere near GS HQ, or the geographical center of the US have been suggested.

Anyway, since there will be 51 specific caches for this quest, we were wondering if it would be possible to create a cache type like the A.P.E. caches have. That way, you could search for these specific caches if you are trying to complete the task...

Comments?

Anyway, since there will be 51 specific caches for this quest, we were wondering if it would be possible to create a cache type like the A.P.E. caches have.

I am sure if you offer to pay Jeremy as much as fox did, that there is a good chance something could be worked out.

Anyway, since there will be 51 specific caches for this quest, we were wondering if it would be possible to create a cache type like the A.P.E. caches have.

I am sure if you offer to pay Jeremy as much as fox did, that there is a good chance something could be worked out.

Seriously, if it is a money issue, I would be interested in hearing the figure.

This is something special that will benefit the geocaching community in general. We are talking about an unprecedented number of cachers working together to create the ultimate cache series. Having a special designation to track progress would be icing on the cake.

I know everyone would want special treatment for their series but I think it should be reviewed on a case by case basis. This is a cool idea. Don't underestimate the marketing power of cool. :rolleyes:

Who will decide where the cache in each state will be?

Basically it will be decided by whoever steps up to the plate in their state. In only 48hrs we have volunteers willing to help out in 33 states and that is with no solicitation outside the forums. If GC.com would be willing to give a special designation but only if they are able to hand-pick the hiders in each state, they are welcome to it.

Right now, since I initiated the idea, I am signing up the volunteers. I'm hoping we can get a little support for the idea.

You need to use emoticons... :rolleyes:

I can't tell if you are serious, or just being sarcastic... <_<

In either case, I do see why they got the special icon. However, with the recent advent of the MEGA event icon it is obviously a possibility...

At least I hope so..... :anicute:

Could be a big time money maker but I think it would cheapen everything and create more problems than it's worth.

The ape icon is nice but I think it is just a carry-over from when it started and has just never fallen off the page and now it is something special since it has been around for so long.

(Mods, please leave this in the general topics section for one week before moving it to the gc.com forum.)

I'm an Icon Ho. Have been since the beginning.

I suggested this privately awhile back and got no response to my inquiry....

How about Groundspeak selling personal cache icons for the same fee as they sell geocoin icons? Would you buy one to put on all your caches? Would you buy another to denote a special cache series you poured your money, sweat, and heart into?

I would.

I’d buy an icon to put on all of my regular caches.

I’d buy another just for Quantum Leap.

I’d buy a third to put on all the ODS caches if they would allow it since hundreds of users would need access to it.

Imagine the geo tourism angle as people go all over the country collecting new icons. Look how far outta their way people go to get an APE icon. GeoTourism is a muscle that this site has yet to flex.

Groundspeak would make money. Those of us that want them for our own caches would be happy. The icon ho's would be ecstatic, but best of all there would be better visual proof of GeoTourism to show to bureaucratic agencies that wish to legislate geocaching out of existence in a few areas. The evidence would be/is right in peoples profiles.

Thoughts.....

Edited by Snoogans
Thoughts.....

It is too complicated. I assume you are suggest the well known 2.gif or 3.gif be replaced with some personal logo.

I agree with Corp of Discovery, you will not be able to tell at a glance what you are looking for. I think it woulden't work in the end.

Have you seen the thread on logging individual cachers? It was brought up there for cachers to have an icon that would be displayed when you log meeting that cacher. Ofcourse I do not know if anything will come of that, but that would be a better place for custom icons.

Thoughts.....

It is too complicated. I assume you are suggest the well known 2.gif or 3.gif be replaced with some personal logo.

I agree with Corp of Discovery, you will not be able to tell at a glance what you are looking for. I think it woulden't work in the end.

Have you seen the thread on logging individual cachers? It was brought up there for cachers to have an icon that would be displayed when you log meeting that cacher. Ofcourse I do not know if anything will come of that, but that would be a better place for custom icons.

What if the regular icon stayed right where it's at and an EXTRA vanity icon was placed next to it? I assume that's doable.

Edited by Snoogans

I think it would be best to keep it off the search pages. That is for finding caches, and needs to be simple in layout. These "Icons" would need thier own tab under the profile, say a (Found Icon Caches) tab, or the "Found Caches" tab would be really tall.

It sounds a lot like the idea of getting icons for logging meeting cachers. It's basically saying, I found a cache hidden by "So-And-So::Icon here."

I don't really think it would work well, but I will say at least it encourages finding a cache to get an icon.

Thoughts.....

What if the regular icon stayed right where it's at and an EXTRA vanity icon was placed next to it? I assume that's doable.

Nope, I tried to get one for the O.C.B.

Got turned down. Not once, but twice.

It ain't gonna happen.

Anyway, since there will be 51 specific caches for this quest, we were wondering if it would be possible to create a cache type like the A.P.E. caches have. That way, you could search for these specific caches if you are trying to complete the task...

Comments?

Um, wouldn't it be easier to just designate one of them as the "master" cache page, and it could list all the others? The remaining caches would have a link back to the master cache.

The A.P.E. cache icon has cause enough confusion that a FAQ entry had to be created to explain it. We don't need to compound it.

Interesting, but I think it would be unworkable in the end. How would others know the type of cache on sight then?

That's a head scratcher. How do you know what type of cache an APE cache is? :anibad:

You ask in the forums, and then someone points you to the FAQ. Now imagine that × 100+. :)

How about Groundspeak allows one "Signature" custom cache icon per State which the local groups can decide on..for instance it could be that state's Delorme Challenge, or things such as "Cache across Maryland"? I'm sure they could also allow one National custom icon as well.

Not keen on the $$ for custom cache icon.

Edited by Maingray

You mean "nothing?" Man you guys watch too much TV.

A cache type isn't a very good implementation of this idea for the many reasons already outlined. Keep exploring new ideas that could encompass other similar concepts, however.

A cache type isn't a very good implementation of this idea for the many reasons already outlined. Keep exploring new ideas that could encompass other similar concepts, however.

I'm not going to pretend to know how you would implement it, but how about something like this:

2.gif269.gif

Something like a vanity badge next to the cache type that would add another tab to the profile stats.

Those that are out to collect them will have another incentive to go find a cache. Many of us would range far and wide to get them too and some would of course cheat them as they do with coins right now.

As for flexing the muscle of GeoTourism:

I submit that every state, country, province, should have a general gc.com collectable badge attached to every cache. Clicking that tab in someone's profile would give you a visual reference to where they had been caching around the world instead of having to sift through the finds on their profile to see where they had been. GC.com could also use this badging system to give the nod to a historic (in the geocaching sense) or long lived cache. You could even add regional "Best of caching" awards with this type of system.

This is something special that will benefit the geocaching community in general. We are talking about an unprecedented number of cachers working together to create the ultimate cache series. Having a special designation to track progress would be icing on the cake.

Cachers working together to create a series of caches in all 50 states is hardly "unprecedented." It was done three years ago, and without the lure of a special icon.

Your idea is cool; I am just setting the facts straight. I do agree that no special cache type is warranted. A distinctive cache page theme would be great. Good luck with your project.

Well, I will put the thinking cap back on...for whatever it's worth! :)

I don't really agree that a new icon isn't a good implementation though. To me, it is a lot less confusing than when I first tried to figure out locationless caches. They didn't even show up in a regular search.

One of the arguments stated the need of an FAQ spot for the A.P.E. caches. Well, since we are going with a standard page template for all the caches of the series, and the first part explains what the series is, I don't think there will be a need for a separate line item in the FAQ. You see the icon, click on it...voila! There you have it.

And, while the majority of us will never complete the whole series, it would be fun to be able to see how many we have done without setting up a separate tracking site. I am not a code-slinger, so, I wouldn't even attempt to guess how difficult the implentation would be, so forgive me if I am making it sound too easy.

It would be pretty cool for the people that complete the challenge to see a 51 next to the custom icon though...

Cachers working together to create a series of caches in all 50 states is hardly "unprecedented." It was done three years ago, and without the lure of a special icon.

Your idea is cool; I am just setting the facts straight. I do agree that no special cache type is warranted. A distinctive cache page theme would be great. Good luck with your project.

VERY COOL! Can you share a link to this series. I would love to see how they did it and if there is a cache here in Washington related to the series, I can't wait to go find it!

You mean "nothing?" Man you guys watch too much TV.

Hmmm.... I guess the end product of what I am looking for is for people at a glance to see how many caches they or others have completed in the 50-cache series. Any ideas out there?

VERY COOL! Can you share a link to this series. I would love to see how they did it and if there is a cache here in Washington related to the series, I can't wait to go find it!

Most or all of the caches in this series have long since been archived, including both entries from Washington State. Among other things, it was a challenge for the series coordinator to keep up with a list of 50 local cache maintainers. It got to be a lot of work. There was one fellow who set himself a goal of finding all of these caches. I am not sure how far he got before the pace of archivals overcame his pace of finds. For about a year and a half, though, this was a pretty cool series.

Hmmm.... I guess the end product of what I am looking for is for people at a glance to see how many caches they or others have completed in the 50-cache series. Any ideas out there?

How about: States where I've found a "50 state" cache?

Thanks KoosKoos. Something like this is probably the most likely alternative to a geocaching.com solution. Not quite the same sizzle as a custom icon but it is a simple work-around...

that said, I still want the icon. :huh:

Most or all of the caches in this series have long since been archived, including both entries from Washington State. Among other things, it was a challenge for the series coordinator to keep up with a list of 50 local cache maintainers. It got to be a lot of work. There was one fellow who set himself a goal of finding all of these caches. I am not sure how far he got before the pace of archivals overcame his pace of finds. For about a year and a half, though, this was a pretty cool series.

Thanks! If you do happen to remember one of the caches, even if archived? I would be interested in taking a look at it or better yet I would be interested in contacting the organizer of the series if he is still active.

We are going to proceed with our plan and see if we can keep it on track! I have to say that organizing the new 50 state cache has by far been my most positive forum experience.

Maybe I'm off base, but I think with the now larger pool of willing participants, we can sustain this for a longer period of time. If we were by act of god able to secure a "special" status or icon, owning one of these caches would be an honor an owner wouldn't easily surrender.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

Thanks! If you do happen to remember one of the caches, even if archived? I would be interested in taking a look at it or better yet I would be interested in contacting the organizer of the series if he is still active.

We are going to proceed with our plan and see if we can keep it on track! I have to say that organizing the new 50 state cache has by far been my most positive forum experience.

Maybe I'm off base, but I think with the now larger pool of willing participants, we can sustain this for a longer period of time. If we were by act of god able to secure a "special" status or icon, owning one of these caches would be an honor an owner wouldn't easily surrender.

Special icon or not, how many people do you think will ever log this cache? (you may have answered in the thread about it, but I'm not going to read that whole thing for the answer)

If there were to be personal icons, I'd think there would have to be versions for each type of cache.

Special icon or not, how many people do you think will ever log this cache? (you may have answered in the thread about it, but I'm not going to read that whole thing for the answer)

If there were to be personal icons, I'd think there would have to be versions for each type of cache.

I would say alot of people that live in one of the 50 states. Or when someone is visiting relatives in another state. How many people have not logged a Project APE cache. Alot of us haven't the one in our state was stolen the day it was published. But at least with this project there is alot of people suporting it and is willing to adopt one of the caches if someone goes inactive.

I think it's a great accomplishment to have so many people involved with the project agree on something especially these days. Would be cool to have a custom icon for this I know it probably won't happen but it will sure be fun watching the whole thing.

Perhaps this project will get some attention from people outside Geocaching, for some $sponsorship$. Maybe that'll get the special icon in place.

I'm hoping for PBS-type documentary/sponsor for this project - might make good entertainment without the scripting and manipulations of so-called Reality TV. You know, something like the Bay Area Backroads show we have in our area. :D This will also put pressure on the participants to pick good locations. :D

Special icon or not, how many people do you think will ever log this cache?

I don't think it really matters.

Please understand that we are no longer talking about 1 cache with 50 stages as we did in the very first post or two. We are now talking about 50 individual caches that all provide numeric clues that lead to the final location. These individual caches are open to all to find whether counting on finding the final or not.

There will be one cache per state presented in this format: (this isn't published yet)

43ae81a1-d723-4398-a177-53876b282eff.jpg

The unlikelihood of anyone finishing the entire series is the precise reason I am looking for another way to track progress. (Custom Icon)

There won't be masses of cachers completing this and that is okay. The joy is in the individual seeing how many of these they are able to complete for nothing other than personal satisfaction.

Don't underestimate what a cacher can accomplish. The short history of caching makes this seem like an impossible task but it may not seem so when caching was a 20-year history behind it.

It is still my feeling that this is a merit-worthy undertaking and should be given some sort of special status if 50+ cachers can work together to pull it off. It would be a marketable accompli$ment for geocaching.com to give some pub to.

It was mentioned that this has been done before by "some cachers"... Still interested in looking at it. Can someone provide some non-anecdotal info? I really want to look into what they were able to do, where they hit their problems etc. Don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

It was mentioned that this has been done before by "some cachers"... Still interested in looking at it. Can someone provide some non-anecdotal info? I really want to look into what they were able to do, where they hit their problems etc. Don't want to reinvent the wheel.

I have now been provided this information so no need to clutter the thread by posting here. Thanks!

I'm not going to pretend to know how you would implement it, but how about something like this:

2.gif269.gif

That might confuse people that think there's a geocoin in the cache...

I'm a bit of an icon collector myself, but when the geocoin craze exploded, I was left with the harsh reality that I would never collect a "full" set of icons. Thankfully the trackables were moved to their own subpage so at least I've been able to collect a full set of geocache icons (save a mega event, a new one to go get).

I'd be more in favor of something akin to what the subpage for trackables is. Maybe a "regional" or "special" subpage with icons you could collect. For example, say you code a special Route 66 icon to all caches along Route 66. When you click on the "regional/special" tab, you can see a route 66 icon with a number of how many that you've found. Click on it and you'd get a list of just route 66 caches that you've done. This could also help you sort your finds out by a category greater than "traditional" "multi" and whatnot.

If you're looking to promote premium membership, add this as a feature that can be selected only by a premium member? Might not bring a lot of money in the door, but you'd get more memberships.

So how did this person get another Icon? One of them is only a week old. Find that out, and then maybe you can do that for your cache series?

<script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
for (z = 0; z < document.images.length; ++z) { if (document.images[z].alt == 'Traditional Cache') document.images[z].src="http://img.geocaching.com/user/591c7836-38b8-4d58-801b-4e2dd8f8da09.jpg"; }
</script>

That's how they did it.

So how did this person get another Icon? One of them is only a week old. Find that out, and then maybe you can do that for your cache series?

for (z = 0; z < document.images.length; ++z) { if (document.images[z].alt == 'Traditional Cache') document.images[z].src="http://img.geocaching.com/user/591c7836-38b8-4d58-801b-4e2dd8f8da09.jpg"; }
</script>

That's how they did it.

Hey cool, but we're not allowed to do that are we? I never though JavaScript would be allowed in cache descriptions. Imagine changing your cache to the APE icon and watching the flurry of visitors descend.

Hey cool, but we're not allowed to do that are we? I never though JavaScript would be allowed in cache descriptions. Imagine changing your cache to the APE icon and watching the flurry of visitors descend.

Yeah, I'm surprised HtmlTidy didn't kick it out. At first I thought it might be a pre-Tidy cache, but it was published this month.

It seems one thing you are looking for is a way for people who complete all 50 caches to 'stand out'. A way to look at there profile and see right away they have completed the series without sifting through all their caches, right? How about creating a special coin that could be given as a gift to anyone who completes the series. As not many people would complete the series that may not be too big of an investment. Then the icon for that coin would appear on the persons profile page. If you really wanted to you could place a coin in each cache with instructions for it to not be moved (glue it to the cache lid even) and then you would also have the icon beside each cache listing, but that might get expensive.

t seems one thing you are looking for is a way for people who complete all 50 caches to 'stand out'. A way to look at there profile and see right away they have completed the series without sifting through all their caches, right? How about creating a special coin that could be given as a gift to anyone who completes the series. As not many people would complete the series that may not be too big of an investment. Then the icon for that coin would appear on the persons profile page. If you really wanted to you could place a coin in each cache with instructions for it to not be moved (glue it to the cache lid even) and then you would also have the icon beside each cache listing, but that might get expensive.

how about ask Jeremy for 50 numbers for coins but not get them and an icon for the "coins"?

</script>

That's how they did it.

how come it doesn't work for me :grin:

(1)HTML has to be enabled.

(2)You have to do it on a tradtitional cache, or change the script for a Multi-cache

EDIT: Are we allowed to be doing this? I can see the problem with changing the icon entirely, but I just move the icon type to the corner and add something behind it. You can still clearly see the cache type.

Edited by alexrudd
(1)HTML has to be enabled.

(2)You have to do it on a tradtitional cache, or change the script for a Multi-cache

EDIT: Are we allowed to be doing this? I can see the problem with changing the icon entirely, but I just move the icon type to the corner and add something behind it. You can still clearly see the cache type.

Details

You can use HTML in any of the description fields below with the exception of JavaScript and other embedded code. If you do supply html you will need to check the box below for the text to render correctly.

I don't think this is allowed, that doesn't mean it isn't possible to do, or that it doesn't slip past the reviewers, especially if people are adding it after approval.

Edited by ZSandmann