Converting Palm To Gps

My daughter is interested in geocaching and we are wondering if it is possible to set up a 16mb Palm Zire Color PDA for GPS. If it is possible, what additional hardware/software does she need to be able to do street level mapping? She is on a limited budget and a low cost alternative would be preferred for now.

Thanks. Matt

My daughter is interested in geocaching and we are wondering if it is possible to set up a 16mb Palm Zire Color PDA for GPS. If it is possible, what additional hardware/software does she need to be able to do street level mapping? She is on a limited budget and a low cost alternative would be preferred for now.

Thanks. Matt

I don't think there is a way with the 31. I don't think anybody makes a GPS that is compatible with it and because of the USB connector I don't think there is a (easy) way to even hook a regular GPS to it. I hope I'm wrong and I'd also be interested to see If someone knows how.

I think it can be done, but since Palms are fragile and more vulnerable to weather, like a sudden rainstorm, it might be better to keep it in the pocket or pack and only use it for the cache descriptions with a program like Cachemate or Plucker and use a rugged, waterproof handheld GPSr.

The color Palms like that one are also harder to see in bright sunlight than the monochrome Palms, or the GPSr screen.

You can get a Garmin eTrex Legend in the States for around $120.00 and it can accept maps should you decide to purchase them later. It comes with a serial cable for downloading the waypoints from your computer.

palm zire 31 had a package that included a gps... which confuses me and it would hook up through the mini usb post (yes I do know its a slave port blah blah blah) and I have seen one other company use this port as a serial port (can't remember who)... I think there was even a european company that made one, and they were named good year, or michelin, or uniruyal or some kind of tire company.

I have a zire 31 myself and my eyes can't handle the screen in the daylight, but there are people who use it for paperless caching as well.

good luck and let us know how it goes