Language

erka

hi,

I wondered, In Belgium there are 2 languages: French and Dutch.

Maybe the Belgian forum can be split up in both langages and add the Netherlands to the Dutch half of this forum. www.geocaching.nl

Just think about it

Regards from

N52, E6

Erka

Thanks a lot, but we are very happy with our current setup :)

No need to further think about it, thanks! :anicute:

well said, jiheffe !!! :grin:

And why not do everything in english ? Geocaching is worldwide, why cut it into pieces. When I see cache descriptions and logs written in all these different languages, I am puzzled. Lots of travellers may be blocked from visiting a cache because of this.

The majority of Europeans has a good command of the english (except may be the frenchs :) ), so at least have cache descriptions in english in addition to the local language.

Thanks a lot, but we are very happy with our current setup :anicute:

No need to further think about it, thanks! :laughing:

well said, jiheffe !!! :anicute:

And why not do everything in english ? Geocaching is worldwide, why cut it into pieces. When I see cache descriptions and logs written in all these different languages, I am puzzled. Lots of travellers may be blocked from visiting a cache because of this.

The majority of Europeans has a good command of the english (except may be the frenchs :anicute: ), so at least have cache descriptions in english in addition to the local language.

Suscrofa has a good point. Looking to all the caches available on the internet, English should be the

main language. The Dutch people know very well the English language, so no problem there.

Regards Rick (Dutch starting Geocacher).

The majority of Europeans has a good command of the english (except may be the frenchs <_< ), so at least have cache descriptions in english in addition to the local language.

I do agree with you. The OP was talking about the forums, and I don't see a reason to change them. As said we are very happy with our current setup.

As to languages used in cache listings, I can surely follow you. I also have problems with people logging caches in France only in dutch or german - or vice versa. I guess the mimimum respect to the cache owner is to log in a language that he is likely to understand. Now, I must admit that I myself often do sin against this, as I log 99% of my caches in English. But then, I always guessed that people that use the services of geocaching.com would have a basic understanding of english, as the whole site is english only!

Edited by Jiheffe

I think the fact that a question posted in Dutch in the general forum got moved to the Nordic countries because a moderator didn't know where it should go may be related to the language issue described above. Wouldn't it make sense for this forum to be the BeNeLux forum for caching in Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg. I suspect that cachers from these countries often cross borders to find caches and that may even explain why this forum is mostly in English. There are probably a lot of visitors from Germany, France, and the UK too.

Thanks a lot, but we are very happy with our current setup :ninja:

No need to further think about it, thanks! :P

well said, jiheffe !!! :D

The majority of Europeans has a good command of the english (except may be the frenchs :P ), so at least have cache descriptions in english in addition to the local language.

Geocaching has to be learned and europeans like to talk teir own language, just like the anglospeekers do.

thank you have a bit of understanding for other languages and cultures, thank you. belgians are bilingual for a great part of the country so don't patronise them please. I am from holland but don't like what i read here from this person, quite unsympathetic. do I write that o.k. ???????????????????? hello.

hi,

I wondered, In Belgium there are 2 languages: French and Dutch.

Maybe the Belgian forum can be split up in both langages and add the Netherlands to the Dutch half of this forum. www.geocaching.nl

Just think about it

Regards from

N52, E6

Erka

kweet : jaaroude post

maar met de huidige... allez, t duurt al een jaar... politieke situatie is dit wel een :rolleyes: waard

schild & vriend .... WAHAHAHAHAaaa

belgian is divided into 3 official language zones

dutch, french and after the WW we got a german speaking part.

and we're such a small country... only 10.000.000 inhabitants. what were they thinking in 1830... <.<

the northern part/half : Flanders

where the language is Flemmish = dutch, variation, mostly some different (softer) phonetics.

southern part/half : Walloon, where they speak walloon = french variation

with variation its very comparable to the queens' english and americanised english

and there is a tiny part squished in between the Walloon region and germany where the official language is german (+ french).

brussels is a big mess and not just language wise.

the division of the forums by language has created some strange situations. i cant see the current logic.

deleting the belgian forum and having our 3 linguistic regions moved to their originating countries (Netherlands, France, Germany) would be a sign of the times :-)

Edited by Guinness70