Take Back The Forums!

...When I attend events here in Maryland, and when I encounter other cachers on the trails, that is not what I hear at all from this large "silent majority". Rather, what I hear is amusement and disbelief at the extremes to which some folks will try to bend the rules in order to claim "finds" for such feats . Mind you, none of these "silent majority" people with whom I speak minds the idea of PCs, or of temporary event caches, but rather, what amazes them (and me) is that folks then try all sorts of ingenious games to try to claim "finds" at the geocaching.com website for those, ahem, dubious "finds"....

Did you ever notice that whoever invokes the silent majority (cachers who don't visit the forums) as a counterpoint to the discussion in the forums they usually assume they are on their side of the argument?

I think people forget that if you are at an event with a pocket cache and all the people are crowded around you saying "what a great idea" that's not a majority any more than the caches scattered around the event shaking their heads at the pocket cachers, and that other group hanging around the coin collection, and that other group hanging around the beer keg...

It takes all kinds.

PS. You also have to factor in that personality types attract different people to share information. My email I'll bet looks far different than say, CarleenP's. We would tend to hear different angles on an issue from the people we communicate with. Like I said, it takes all kinds.

PPS.

I'm not sure why I quoted you since this post really had nothing to do with your post other than it had the word Silent Majority in it.

PPPS

The pig just moved up my list. Cool.

PPPPS.

NORM!

Edited by Renegade Knight

...When I attend events here in Maryland, and when I encounter other cachers on the trails, that is not what I hear at all from this large "silent majority". Rather, what I hear is amusement and disbelief at the extremes to which some folks will try to bend the rules in order to claim "finds" for such feats . Mind you, none of these "silent majority" people with whom I speak minds the idea of PCs, or of temporary event caches, but rather, what amazes them (and me) is that folks then try all sorts of ingenious games to try to claim "finds" at the geocaching.com website for those, ahem, dubious "finds"....

Did you ever notice that whoever invokes the silent majority (cachers who don't visit the forums) as a counterpoint to the discussion in the forums they usually assume they are on their side of the argument?

I think people forget that if you are at an event with a pocket cache and all the people are crowded around you saying "what a great idea" that's not a majority any more than the caches scattered around the event shaking their heads at the pocket cachers, and that other group hanging around the coin collection, and that other group hanging around the beer keg...

It takes all kinds.

PS. You also have to factor in that personality types attract different people to share information. My email I'll bet looks far different than say, CarleenP's. We would tend to hear different angles on an issue from the people we communicate with. Like I said, it takes all kinds.

PPS.

I'm not sure why I quoted you since this post really had nothing to do with your post other than it had the word Silent Majority in it.

PPPS

PPPPS.

NORM!

Norm, what are doing over here? We've been looking for you.

I have been to forums where my first post was greeted with "shouts" of derision. The main basis for the criticiism was that I was a "Newbie" and therefore not worthy of being heard. Some of the worst (several comments on the size of my male organs being the prime weapon of attack) came from a moderator. When I answered in kind I was promptly banned. A quick re-register on a different computer later I re-visited the site where the "regulars" were congratulating each other for their performance. I haven't visited since.

Oh, that was you?

Sorry.

...PPS.

PPPS

PPPPS.

NORM!

:rolleyes:<_<:unsure::anicute:

Over the last 6-7 years I have joined or lurked in dozens of forums. . .

I have lurked or joined many local geocaching sites. These forums are so incredibly average, middle of the road, white-bread normal that it is almost sad. . .

...I have been to forums where my first post was greeted with "shouts" of derision. The main basis for the criticiism was that I was a "Newbie" and therefore not worthy of being heard. Some of the worst (several comments on the size of my male organs being the prime weapon of attack) came from a moderator. When I answered in kind I was promptly banned. A quick re-register on a different computer later I re-visited the site where the "regulars" were congratulating each other for their performance. I haven't visited since. . .

This place ain't so bad. ... and I like the food.

Torry, well said! As I have recounted in the past, I have encountered many forums and email list groups (on topics other than geocaching) which were downright vicious! Compared to most forums and list groups, this place is a kindergarten at nap time. I suspect that some people are thin-skinned enuf that they feel gravely offended and insulted if other people do not agree with their positions, and this can lead to the perception that these forums are "nasty".

Oh, and about the food... you may wish to remember: please do not accept food from the pig. And, thank you for your kind offer last month, as a budding gourmet chef, to cook me a gourmet dinner of pasta and Italian sausage in tomato sauce, freeze it, and then ship it to me via Fedex Overnite! The dinner was delicious! Your kindness is much appreciated! I loved that food -- thank you!

Again, Jeremy finally came down against them, so I am not arguing - I am instead asking people here to accept that there are differnt ways to play, different reasons for actions other than their strict definition, and to please quit calling those of us who logged PCs liars and cheats.

That's not how or why PCs came about, not fair to the many personalities being smeared with these statements.

I've been fairly silent on the subject for the most part but this kind of logic is flawed and bugs me. Just because a lot of people do it certainly doesn't make it any more legit or acceptable. The new and differnet way to play is just some other activity in my book. Not worthy.

I agree that "Just because a lot of people do it certainly doesn't make it any more legit or acceptable." but a lot of people doing it out in the open in front of admins, moderators, reviewers, and representatives from Groundspeak sure does add a lot of credibility to the practice. If those logging these types of caches were truly liars and cheaters, I would think these first hand witnesses from TPTB would've called a stop to the practice long ago.

BTW... how the heck was I supposed to know that a cache I hunted IN THE WOODS at GW4 was an "illegal" hide? It is common practice at our NEFGA events for us to hide caches before hand and have the reviewers hold up release until the day of the event to allow event attendees first crack at the caches - how was I supposed to know that this wasn't the case at GW4? Yet, I hunted and found caches that I supposed I'd get a smiley for but now don't get it? Don't forget those that found some of these same caches and logged them quicker than I and got their smiley - these people are now liars and cheats?

Sorry for my rant Ed. I know you are trying. Please forgive me.

I'm not trying to justify pocket caches or the logging of such since I've never seen one or logged one. However, I think the terms liar and cheat are a bit harsh. It has been stated a number of times that all this was done in full view of everyone else. Noone that I can recall was sneaking around trying to log these. Unless I am mistaken, this was done as an ice breaker? It seems travel bugs should have been used instead, but that is beside the point.

Anyway, I see a big difference between being wrong or badly mistaken and outright lying. For instance, I may tell you that the sky is yellow. Now if I truly believe that the sky is yellow, I am badly mistaken but not a liar. I am telling you what I believe to be the truth.

However, if I in fact know the sky is blue, then I have just told you a bold faced lie.

If I engineer a bridge and it collapses, killing someone, I am liable for that death. I am wrong, badly mistaken, and should be remorseful for the death that occurred as a result of my engineering. However, I am not a murderer. The intent to kill was not there when I drew up the plans for the bridge.

If these folks came up with what they thought was a cool way to meet each other and this practice was condoned by way of silence from TPTB, then though it proved out that the practice was not in line with how GC would like to see the game played, this does not make the participants cheats and liars. It makes them human. Nothing more.

If these folks came up with what they thought was a cool way to meet each other and this practice was condoned by way of silence from TPTB, then though it proved out that the practice was not in line with how GC would like to see the game played, this does not make the participants cheats and liars. It makes them human. Nothing more.

Well, I can kind of see your point. I can understand how some folks at events, the finders and especially the newer participants, can see how "finding" a cache at an event--not a temporary event cache in the not-too-distant general area--can be viewed as just doing it the way "it is done." I probably wouldn't use the term "liar."

However, someone had to have thought this up. Someone would have had to have found some cache page on which they could log "finds." This someone would have had to know that the new cache was not at the coordinates listed. I find it hard to believe someone could have thought this up and not think it abuse of the system regardless of intent. I can't presume to know what was in their mind, but I can imagine that it might have been "well, it's my cache and I can do anything I want."

In short, I personally wouldn't use the term "liar" on everyone who logged a pocket cache as they most likely just thought that was how it was done, but there had to have been plenty of folks who knew it was wrong and did it anyway. For those I think the term fits.

I really don't see any problems with the forums, although this is the only forum that I visit. I've been nosing around here since I first started. I have made some silly posts and I have made some helpful posts and there are some topics that I won't touch with a 10’ pole. Other topics I’d love to walk into and start swinging a big stick.

The forums are a great place to kill some time, reading some posts and the links can be very informative. Some folks bring up some very good and helpful points and I’ve learned a great bit. My knowledge of GPS and computers has grown greatly since I’ve been nosing around here.

Reality check... this is still a GAME, right? It's still supposed to be fun. TPTB haven't started doling out prizes for find count, have they?

I really don't think that the INTENT to deceive with pocket caches was there. It was seen as a way to introduce yourself to other cachers at an event. Sure, in hindsight it's easy sit back and pass judgement on those who participated, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to. You can easily make your position on ANY topic known without insulting or ridiculing those who have (or at one time had) a different view.

As my wife often says, "Hate the sin, not the sinner." C'mon everybody, group hug! :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to justify pocket caches or the logging of such since I've never seen one or logged one. However, I think the terms liar and cheat are a bit harsh. It has been stated a number of times that all this was done in full view of everyone else. Noone that I can recall was sneaking around trying to log these. Unless I am mistaken, this was done as an ice breaker? It seems travel bugs should have been used instead, but that is beside the point.

Anyway, I see a big difference between being wrong or badly mistaken and outright lying. For instance, I may tell you that the sky is yellow. Now if I truly believe that the sky is yellow, I am badly mistaken but not a liar. I am telling you what I believe to be the truth.

However, if I in fact know the sky is blue, then I have just told you a bold faced lie.

If I engineer a bridge and it collapses, killing someone, I am liable for that death. I am wrong, badly mistaken, and should be remorseful for the death that occurred as a result of my engineering. However, I am not a murderer. The intent to kill was not there when I drew up the plans for the bridge.

and this practice was condoned by way of silence from TPTB

Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil. :anibad:

Reality check... this is still a GAME, right? It's still supposed to be fun. TPTB haven't started doling out prizes for find count, have they?

I really don't think that the INTENT to deceive with pocket caches was there. It was seen as a way to introduce yourself to other cachers at an event. Sure, in hindsight it's easy sit back and pass judgement on those who participated, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to. You can easily make your position on ANY topic known without insulting or ridiculing those who have (or at one time had) a different view.

As my wife often says, "Hate the sin, not the sinner." C'mon everybody, group hug! :anibad:

Finally, someone said it. Yes, still a game. Yes, still supposed to be fun.

TAR is my friend and yes, I WILL defend him. Why? Because after just discovering this topic, reading the majority of it and skimming the rest, I hear people (and some of those people I had LOTS of respect for) basically saying, "Don't bother forgiving, and never ever forget!"

Come ON! Stop comparing this topic to whatever crap happened before -- his intentions are good. He is calling attention to the reason we primarily see the same faces here, but new people only once or twice.

And to give my 2¢ worth, here is MY take on the forums most of the time. TRY to tell yourself it's not true:

internet.gif

Reality check... this is still a GAME, right? ... TPTB haven't started doling out prizes for find count, have they?

I really don't think that the INTENT to deceive with pocket caches was there.

Well, I don't call what we do "a game." It's a hobby. You're right there are no prizes, no winner. We don't do it to get ahead of anyone or even to met certain artificial goals. We do it to discover our surrounding and be entertained by our fellow geocachers.

Someone had to knowingly and purposely make available a cache to log where those who were logging it didn't find the listed cache. I don't know if I would call what happens "deception" in that the intent was to deceive the community into thinking the folks logging it actually found the cache as it was listed. I don't think the intent was to deceive the folks at the event into bad logging practices. Still, what would you call it when someone is encouraged to log a cache when they never got within miles of it?

TAR is my friend and yes, I WILL defend him. Why? Because after just discovering this topic, reading the majority of it and skimming the rest, I hear people (and some of those people I had LOTS of respect for) basically saying, "Don't bother forgiving, and never ever forget!"

Come ON! Stop comparing this topic to whatever crap happened before -- his intentions are good. He is calling attention to the reason we primarily see the same faces here, but new people only once or twice.

How can there be forgiveness when there is no contrition?

What some of us are seeing are non-issues wrapped in an agenda. It's not just this thread.

What agenda? To come back to a community that ridiculed and degraded him for over a month to try to make amends and try to help people? He loves this hobby and if he didn't come back to the forums you would say he is scared to show his face. Now that he posts, you accuse him of only having an agenda and having nothing to say. Just because you didn't get the apology you wanted doesn't mean there wasn't an apology made. BTW: how many cache owners that posted on the gc.com forums asked for money to replace their caches?

I have to agree with JoeFrog (for once) many people don't come here because of many of the negative, trash talking comments. The one person that introduced me to caching stays far away from these forums and at events I have heard many people say that they don't feel welcome or comfortable in the gc.com forums. You can debate an issue without making it personal but some posters don't know the difference.

What agenda? To come back to a community that ridiculed and degraded him for over a month to try to make amends and try to help people?

"Take back the forums"? Doesn't that sound a leeeeetle confrontational to you?

He loves this hobby and if he didn't come back to the forums you would say he is scared to show his face.

Speaking for myself, I think it would've considered it wise. At least while he's visibly upset. First good option: slap his forehead, exclaim "what was I thinking?" and go on as if nothing had happened. Flap would've died down in one thread. Second good option: skip the contrition, if he still doesn't grasp what everyone's irritated about, and just go on as if nothing had happened. Post in the "hats" thread. Be cool. Keep on cachin'. Third good option: take a break from the forums until he feels better.

Bad option: getting confrontational with people you have loudly identified as being too confrontational. I mean, seriously -- how do you think that's likely to turn out? I'm thinking there's going to be -- I dunno -- ongoing confrontation, maybe.

"Take back the forums"? Doesn't that sound a leeeeetle confrontational to you?

If you look at the topics that have been started recently I think you can find many of them confrontational but there seems to be more of a negative implication to this thread due to the author.

How is "What can we all agree on if anything", "logged it anyway, cheaters", "an intersting observation about geocaching, as it grows it loses something" different in terms of confrontation than "take back the forums, why can't we all just get along"? Answer, the author.

How is "What can we all agree on if anything", "logged it anyway, cheaters", "an intersting observation about geocaching, as it grows it loses something" different in terms of confrontation than "take back the forums, why can't we all just get along"? Answer, the author.

Well, yeah. But that's a truncated answer. The extended answer would be "the author has brought up his grievance again and again." (And seems surprised to get the same reaction again and again). If he'd post about hydration packs and hiking sticks for a while, he'd do himself a world of good.

I bet I'm not the only one who sees his name drift to the recent replies list and rolls my eyes. (Well, okay, I'm the only one the rolls MY eyes. Go roll your own eyes, freeloaders!)

If you look at the topics that have been started recently I think you can find many of them confrontational but there seems to be more of a negative implication to this thread due to the author.

So if we disagree then we are bashing the author of the thread because of who he is, but if we agree like you do with the author, then it's support. Get real and try looking at things from more than just your side. I could care less who the author is when I post. I post becauise of the comments or the issues, not to either defend or attack an individual. That would be petty and childish. You, like the author as you have brought up, have said that people do not post here out of fear of being ridiculed or some other reason similar to that. Other than talking about this in YOUR circle, do you have anything to back that up. Something nonbiased? I doubt it, but an open to your proof of your claim. Having talked with people also, most don't post here for many other reason. Some, but not all, have to do with things like, not really caring enough to talk about this day in and day out, they have no interest in the national scene as they tend to stay local, they don't have much to add, and get this....Some people are lurkers and would rather read than speak. Nothing wrong with that. It's a personal choice. you would claim this is because they don't want attacked, but it isn't black and white, them or us issue.

The forums are a living breathing entity. They are made up of ALL cachers who post here. They will evolve, just like the hobby does, when the voices carry it in another direction. Claiming to want to take back the forums is interperted by many as Swing the forums in my direction of thinking. None of us control the forums and definately do not control what individual peoples views and thoughts are, so why try? What fun would this place be if we all agreed with you, even for a day. threads would be nothing more than someone stating something, followed by 20,000 people posting "I agree". Now that's McFun.

So if we disagree then we are bashing the author of the thread because of who he is, but if we agree like you do with the author, then it's support. Get real and try looking at things from more than just your side. I could care less who the author is when I post. I post becauise of the comments or the issues, not to either defend or attack an individual. That would be petty and childish. You, like the author as you have brought up, have said that people do not post here out of fear of being ridiculed or some other reason similar to that. Other than talking about this in YOUR circle, do you have anything to back that up. Something nonbiased? I doubt it, but an open to your proof of your claim. Having talked with people also, most don't post here for many other reason. Some, but not all, have to do with things like, not really caring enough to talk about this day in and day out, they have no interest in the national scene as they tend to stay local, they don't have much to add, and get this....Some people are lurkers and would rather read than speak. Nothing wrong with that. It's a personal choice. you would claim this is because they don't want attacked, but it isn't black and white, them or us issue.

The forums are a living breathing entity. They are made up of ALL cachers who post here. They will evolve, just like the hobby does, when the voices carry it in another direction. Claiming to want to take back the forums is interperted by many as Swing the forums in my direction of thinking. None of us control the forums and definately do not control what individual peoples views and thoughts are, so why try? What fun would this place be if we all agreed with you, even for a day. threads would be nothing more than someone stating something, followed by 20,000 people posting "I agree". Now that's McFun.

No, just because you don't agree with someone doesn't make it bashing. I have respected AuntieWeasel for her comments because she has kept it from being personal. As I said you can debate issues with someone without making it personal. By personal, I mean calling someone names or insinuating that their actions are childish or petty. Now, what would you like me to do to prove that some cachers feel that the forums are negative and do not like the personal attacks? BTW, my area is central PA.

I can tell you one cacher that left this hobby because of two individuals that post here frequently. She was an asset to the game and enjoyed caching very much. She hasn't cached since one of them made a very nasty and rude comment to her. You may even know her.

I can tell you one cacher that left this hobby because of two individuals that post here frequently. She was an asset to the game and enjoyed caching very much. She hasn't cached since one of them made a very nasty and rude comment to her. You may even know her.

well that's just silly. what does caching have to do with these forums?

Now THAT's silly. You have to wonder about people who confuse the forums with geocaching.

If you ventured into a fishing forum and somene made a rude comment to you, would you quit fishing? If you ventured into a motorcycle forum and someone made fun of you, would you sell your bike and quit riding?

"Some total stranger was rude to me in an Internet forum. I'll show them and not have fun geocaching anymore" :anibad:

Edited by briansnat

Now THAT's silly. You have to wonder about people who confuse the forums with geocaching.

If you ventured into a fishing forum and somene made a rude comment to you, would you quit fishing? If you ventured into a motorcycle forum and someone made fun of you, would you sell your bike and quit riding?

"Some total stranger was rude to me in an Internet forum. I'll show them and not have fun geocaching anymore" :)

Brian, a sad tale for you: I once ventured into an online forum on living life to the fullest, being happy, and having fun in life. Unfortunately, someone wrote something a little nasty to me, well, they disagreed with something I had written (how dare they?), and so I quit the forum and ever since then -- that was back in 2002 -- I have refused to live life to the fullest, refused to be happy, and refused to have fun in life, all because of that meanie bad person who said mean things to me. Same thing happened to me in 2003 on a forum about health, and ever since then I have refused to be healthy! sigh! :anibad::):):)

So basically she let 2 people that she has never met, probably would have never met, dictate to her by their opinions, on how she should live her life. If I was abused so badly by 2 people here I might not come back, but it wouldn't cause me to stop talking in my local forums or caching with my friends. Thats a choise I would have to make for myself, but surely it wouldn't be based on what someone else wanted me to do. Some people need to thicken up their skin a little bit.

I think you have to take everything posted in this forum or any other forum online with a grain of salt.

The anonymity of the web allows people to post things they would never say to your face or over the telephone for fear of being hung up on, embarrassed, shamed or possibly struck.

I am not one for going back to the "old days" but personal technology (home computers, gameboys or equivalent, mp3 players or equivalent, cell phones, blackberries, etc) has made a lot of people rude or inconsiderate because those items are so interactive then when someone in real time enters "their world" they have forgotten how to act, with manners, basic politeness etc.

LadeBear68-"As I said you can debate issues with someone without making it personal. By personal, I mean calling someone names or insinuating that their actions are childish or petty."
So an example of this is you telling me in my first post in another thread to "move on" or insinuating that someone else was on a "witch hunt"? :anibad:

A little introspection here might help. Pghlooking said it best-"

So if we disagree then we are bashing the author of the thread because of who he is, but if we agree like you do with the author, then it's support. Get real and try looking at things from more than just your side. "

"Some total stranger was rude to me in an Internet forum. I'll show them and not have fun geocaching anymore" :anibad:

I'm going to quote this post of Brian's instead of ladebear's cuz I would like her to share my forum sig with the aforementioned dearly departed individual. Oh and because my sig line is from a post Brian made a while back and I just liked it soooo much. :)

But to come back to the point made in the OP-take back the forums from who? And just when and how did they take the forums away from us in the first place? :)

PS vinny-quit hogging the chilecheezefries and burgers and pass some this way would ya? :)

As I said in an earlier post, yesterday morning there were 38 positive, pleasant, informative threads running, three complaints and four negative ones stemming from what has become one of the biggest controversies in the four years or so that I've been watching these forums. We choose to read what we want to read.

Secondly, I'm willing to forgive someone for a mistake made, but I'm not willing to accept fundamental changes in what geocaching has been and will become.

One poster (because of my screen set up, I often don't see the names of the poster unless I scroll over-- a nice feature for anyone who feels it's a personal attack to disagree with someone in the forums) claimed that it's about the people, not the cache. I disagree. As a pretty much solo cacher, I'm not impressed by what I have seen coming out of mega-events like GW4, and have no desire to ever attend one. That isn't what it's about, but rather a corollary; geocaching wasn't about hanging out with scads of people who claim that any variation of the game is alright, that any situation can be justified... Don't get me wrong, I like socializing, but I can do that in any of a hundred situations. It's not geocaching. Geocaching is going out and finding a cache placed by another geocacher, and making a sincere connection with another person in this world, that in all probability, I will not ever meet. And I've had many such connections, here and abroad.

Go to mega-events and be what ever you want to be, but don't try to dictate the game at its basic level into a corruption where one really doesn't have to make a sincere connection with another cacher. We all have personas that we wear in public, personas that we create for others..

Thirdly, I agree that this whole post was an attention-getting ploy. I'm sure I wouldn't have opened it, given the recent controversy. I would have posted in any one of the multiple threads that are out there that don't have controvery. This thinly-veiled attempt at victimhood just extends the controversy in another directon.

You're all probably great people up close, so have fun at the mega-events, and in your local organizations (as I do when i've attended a few of my local ones), but please, enjoy the sport/hobby/game for what it is, not for something that has to have the ante constantly upped for it to be interesting. Most of the best games out there have lasted for generations without that.

The anonymity of the web allows people to post things they would never say to your face or over the telephone for fear of being hung up on, embarrassed, shamed or possibly struck.

Don't be so sure people wouldn't say it over the phone...I finance caching by working in a call center, you would not believe some of the things people say to complete strangers because it's anonymous :blink: People threaten violence against you and your family, cuss and scream and yell....and I only take incoming calls where people are (supposedly) asking for my help! I can't imagine what people who do outgoing calls encounter....

But back to topic...you are absolutely correct that people treat one another in anonymous environments much different than they ever would face to face.

Oh yeah, and the USA finally played for real in the World Cup! :blink:

Never mind taking back the forums, lets get the pitchforks and torches and go after that ref!

I'll bet his career as a World Cup referee is pretty much over. I wonder if US will appeal Pope's yellow to red to allow play against Ghana? But we digress...

Oh yeah, and the USA finally played for real in the World Cup! :laughing:

Never mind taking back the forums, lets get the pitchforks and torches and go after that ref!

I'll bet his career as a World Cup referee is pretty much over. I wonder if US will appeal Pope's yellow to red to allow play against Ghana? But we digress...

Folks, I am feeling a little lost here. I assume the "World Cup" is some new kind of geocoin, with its own icon (a golden cup?), or is it pehaps a new cache type, similar to the APE Caches, but how did the Pope of the Roman Catholic Church become a geocache reviewer for geocaching.com, and why is he involved in reviewing new caches placed in Ghana? And, why would the US government get involved in a dispute about a new geocache placed in Ghana? :laughing::laughing:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

For those of you who say I opened this thread for any but the reason stated - here's a quote from our local forum today.

I hear similar things often, and should never!

...I don't really want to post on GC because

they're not the friendliest bunch over there and I don't want to get

laughed off the forums or run off with pitchforks.:laughing:

For those of you who say I opened this thread for any but the reason stated - here's a quote from our local forum today.

I hear similar things often, and should never!

...I don't really want to post on GC because

they're not the friendliest bunch over there and I don't want to get

laughed off the forums or run off with pitchforks.:laughing:

That is one person. You take a poll of 100 people and I am sure you will probably get a few that will also say that. Do you honestly think you can create an environment where you will have 100% satisfaction without a soul feeling that way? I seriously doubt it. It's a part of life. There will always be someone who feels that someone else hurts their feelings no matter what the situation or where it takes place. To pretend that here, or anywhere can be such a sterile environment is absurd. And if you could create a place where we all played nicey nice and agreed...what fun would that be?

I really can't recall an instance of an earnest newcomer being "laughed off the forums" or "run off with pitchforks". Sure there might have been a glib or curt response, here and there, but I think "run off off with pitchforks" connotes a mass piling on, and I just don't see it.

The few times I've seen a newcomer run off the forums, it was either an obvious troll, or someone who had little or no experience with this sport telling the rest of us we are playing it wrong.

The few times I've seen a newcomer run off the forums, it was either an obvious troll, or someone who had little or no experience with this sport telling the rest of us we are playing it wrong.

Agreed. Those that want to participate here - do. Those that don't want to will point to a reason (valid or not) to not participate here.

I really can't recall an instance of an earnest newcomer being "laughed off the forums" or "run off with pitchforks".

While there was no mass piling on, the person here made the one post, and never posted again:

Here

Maybe "Run off with pitchforK" (singular) would be more accurate in this case.

Honestly, I do find this forum to be a little rougher than many of the other forums I have been part of. Most of those I don't visit much any more, if at all, but after 5 years I am still hanging around.

I really can't recall an instance of an earnest newcomer being "laughed off the forums" or "run off with pitchforks".

While there was no mass piling on, the person here made the one post, and never posted again:

Here

Maybe "Run off with pitchforK" (singular) would be more accurate in this case.

Honestly, I do find this forum to be a little rougher than many of the other forums I have been part of. Most of those I don't visit much any more, if at all, but after 5 years I am still hanging around.

It looks to me like the one who did the Noob-stomp bot more soundly stomped by the regulars... the rest of the thread was legitimate discussion about the OP's request.

It looks to me like the one who did the Noob-stomp bot more soundly stomped by the regulars... the rest of the thread was legitimate discussion about the OP's request.

I concur. Truckgirl2 should have gotten warm fuzzies from being defended like that.

EDIT: had wrong nym.

Edited by CoyoteRed