An Interesting Observation About Geocaching

ju66l3r

I am happy to say I disagree with you at least for the area I live and (mostly) cache in. I have found the quality of hides to have improved immensely in the almost 4 years I have been geocaching. I have also noted that a good percentage of newbs in our area like to get involved by participating in events, local forums, and interesting cache logs. That is not to say that there aren't TNLN-SL logs.... they just don't seem to be the norm around here.

I can appreciate your sentiments in one regard i.e. we were much more appreciative of caches in general "back in the day"..... mostly because we were just happy that someone had hid a cache! We didn't care if it was good or bad. We were just happy to have something to find.

Chin up! I agree with Ed that the angst prevalent in these forums is not the general state of geocaching - by a long shot!

I get you, Ju66ler, but reiterate what I mentioned in another thread - these forums, in my experience, do not reflect the game very well.

There is a definite bias here and some serious control issues on almost any topic that I don't see in the field.

I am an event junkie, in the game more for the people than the cache, and can tell you that my experience with geocachers is almost diametrically opposed to what I read here.

That means, to me, that the game is in far better shape and enjoyed far more than is reflected here. :rolleyes:

I take great encouragement from that!

Ed

Totally agree - that is also my experience.

Back on topic though:

I've a lot of TNLN logs. I've hanging my head in shame posted a few. Some caches that are out there now are JAC (Just Another Cache). They don't involve a hunt, they are not in an interesting spot, and they are the normal, I've seen it before, container. All too often they all three come together to make JAC. The sport has not grow to point of boredom, there is just too much JAC

That is not at all unusual. The outcome seems to go one of two ways, either you quit altogether, or you become choosier about what you’ll look for.

Maybe that's why after 4 years of geocaching I don't even have 1000 finds :anicute:

I'm even picker. I've only got 300 after 3 years. Some of them were kind of exciting too. :rolleyes:

Nudecacher

Still under 200 after 3 years.

I am a noob as far as geo-caching goes, but certainly not to the outdoors as an avid hunter and fourwheeler, so my opinions about the sport of geo-caching may not reflect age-old wisdom, but as I been reading this and other posts, it appears that the "experienced" geo-cachers are the ones that are changing and not necessarily the sport itself. For example, I have read several posts on this very thread that have stated that they used to leave longer logs than they do now...why? Just because you might have found 30 tupperware containers under large bushes before, does it mean that the 'cacher who placed it there cared less for it and it's placement than the first one you found? Don't you think that the 30th container owner would like to read your thoughts on their cache just as much as the first 'cacher who's cache you found?

Has the sport changed or are you changing the sport by doing this? I know for a fact that I quickly learned to hunt for caches left by a particular 'cacher just because they seemed to take more care in the placement of their cache than someone driving by with 30 film canisters placing one behind each dumpster, but by the nature of our sport, these types will eventually go away just because people will quit visiting them and people will quit placing them. Does this mean that micro's should go away? I don't think so, because I found one of the most innovative hides that I could imagine just today after a geo-caching 101 class. It was a log only micro, but it was placed with care, with permission, and with a great deal of forethought. Let me leave off my ramblings with the wise words of a very wise man...(ok, maybe not so wise)

"the good ole' days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems!"

I'm a new geocacher and I must say I'm disappointed and put off by this thread. I have logged the caches we've found and also the ones we haven't (2, I think), one of which may be gone, since I am not the only one to have a problem, and someone else cryptically stated that the coordinates were off but did not state the correct ones (not to mention that there is no nearby place to hide anything).

If I am violating some unwritten Code of the Geocacher, I apologize, but I can't help but feel miffed at the view that my new efforts are somehow diluting the appeal of geocaching for the Privileged Early Geocachers.

Should I just stay off the boards until I'm an old timer and can grouse about the way the world is going to heck in a handbasket?

I can't help but feel miffed at the view that my new efforts are somehow diluting the appeal of geocaching for the Privileged Early Geocachers.

In a nice way...

I have no idea what you are talking about. What new efforts do you refer to? You do not have any hides, so that isnt it. Please explain.

And no, dont stay off the forums, unless it raises your blood pressure.

Ju66l3r is onto something.

New geocachers are entering a fundmentally different game than existed a few years ago. They start out with lots more potential targets within their 'nearest caches' circle, and they see higher find-count numbers associated with other cachers. This spurs them to sprint to catch up, and explains to some degree the changing personality of the game.

It's not that the oldtimers are saintly or that the newcomers are rabble, it's more that the game is evolving.

I'm a new geocacher and I must say I'm disappointed and put off by this thread. I have logged the caches we've found and also the ones we haven't (2, I think), one of which may be gone, since I am not the only one to have a problem, and someone else cryptically stated that the coordinates were off but did not state the correct ones (not to mention that there is no nearby place to hide anything).

If I am violating some unwritten Code of the Geocacher, I apologize, but I can't help but feel miffed at the view that my new efforts are somehow diluting the appeal of geocaching for the Privileged Early Geocachers.

Should I just stay off the boards until I'm an old timer and can grouse about the way the world is going to heck in a handbasket?

I am wondering if you don't quite understand the post. My observation isn't that new people are logging caches. That's great, that's what it's all about. Then again, you say you logged "the one's [you] haven't [found]". Do you mean that you logged them as a "Find" or as a "Did Not Find" (DNF)? I looked through your 6 logged finds and don't see any that state anything about the cache being gone. It seems that all 6 finds that you've logged you found the cache and other than one where you didn't have a pen to sign the log, it looks like it all went smoothly. This is what is good for geocaching. If you were to log the DNFs as finds though "just because you got close" or whatever and shrug it off, then you'd be contributing to the problems that I see coming from newer cachers without any consideration for the hider.

I don't know where you're reading some sort of "diluting the appeal" for "Early Geocachers". My observation is that earlier geocachers had to really consider each new cache as something more special than cachers need to these days because of the somewhat rarity of the game. When you can just walk another 800 feet and find your next cache (in the woods or in the parking lot, doesn't matter), then you don't really have to worry about the hider in the whole matter. It just becomes another 7-11 or McDonalds.

When I first started caching, there were few caches locally to choose from and they were placed by strangers. It was really cool to be able to find something left by a total stranger, who left it to be found by other strangers. I guess this was one of the things that appealed to me about the game. I liked the near anonymous interaction with other people through the logs.

As the hobby grew locally, it became more social. A club was formed and people began caching in groups. As the game evolved from one that was played between strangers to one that was 'among friends', something was lost. The magic of finding something left for you by a stranger was largely gone. To some extent, honest logs disapeered, also.

I have noted that many more logs these days are simple 1 or 2 liners. Not bad but different.

Logging my finds (and DNFs) is a big part of why I enjoy Geocaching. Although I don't always have a lot to say in my logs, I don't think I've ever written a 1 or 2 liner. Every cache I've found has been an interesting little adventure in its own way.

Scott

I sort of agree - I was recently surprised to see a local cacher reach the 200 found mark after only 5 months of caching. It took me 3 years to reach that mark and an awful lot of miles on the Jeep. They have hit that mark within 200 miles of thier home. Of course 50 of thier finds are my hides which is also interesting. Within 50 miles of my house there are only 90 or so caches. Within 100 miles - 190.

I have noted that many more logs these days are simple 1 or 2 liners. Not bad but different.

A large part of the difference in perspective is the cache density, and quality within the density figures. There is no "one-size-fits-all" in geocaching.

In areas of high density, like southern California, you can get to 200 finds in a single weekend, and never venture more than 10 or 15 miles from your starting point or 30 feet from your car...

The issue that troubles me about this is the proliferation of "cookie-cutter" caches. Micros hidden in lamp posts, fencepost caps, and guard rails are all basically the same. So when someone starts out and visits the caches near their home they get accustomed to these types of hides. So, naturally, they assume this is the way caches are hidden. They hide what they know.

Of course, anything in this forum is only going to reach a small minority of geocachers, especially new ones. The same is true of local events, and local associations.

So what can we do to improve things?

Well, we can hide better quality caches, so that among the many micros a new cacher has a chance to find some caches that are more interesting.

We can support our local geocaching clubs, associations, and similar groups--by being in touch with them and adding links to their web pages on cache listings.

We can attend events and volunteer to mentor new folks (usually informally is best).

We can make sure our events have a "how to" demo or presentation. My Webpage has a couple of canned presentations that might help--on the "geocaching" page, with some content shamelessly stolen from posts in these forums.

We can point fellow geocachers to information sources like the Podcacher podcast. You need a source for information on how to do things better before you can improve.

We can provide encouragement and suggestions to new cachers who start hiding geocaches, rather than criticize caches that don't meet our expectations.

They (any they--TPTB, "those geocachers", etc.) will probably not solve this problem, so we have to get to work on it.

By keeping things positive, we might be able to keep things on an improving trend.

One thing that I haven't seen positive results from is just discussing it in these forums...

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

One thing that I haven't seen positive results from is just discussing it in these forums...

If it weren't discussed in these forums, we wouldn't get good viewpoints like your post out there for everyone to read *AND* act upon as they go forward in geocaching.

While "just" discussing it won't change anything, not discussing it would be equally as useless. I do hope that wasn't the intent of this statement as the rest of the post was key to exactly what I wanted to result from a discussion of what I was observing lately.

While "just" discussing it won't change anything, not discussing it would be equally as useless. I do hope that wasn't the intent of this statement as the rest of the post was key to exactly what I wanted to result from a discussion of what I was observing lately.

Right, the emphasis in my mind was on "just discussing".

Dave_W6DPS

Right, the emphasis in my mind was on "just discussing".

Dave_W6DPS

Cool, thanks for the suggestions, Dave.

... The issue that troubles me about this is the proliferation of "cookie-cutter" caches. Micros hidden in lamp posts, fencepost caps, and guard rails are all basically the same. So when someone starts out and visits the caches near their home they get accustomed to these types of hides. So, naturally, they assume this is the way caches are hidden. They hide what they know.

...So what can we do to improve things?

Well, we can hide better quality caches, so that among the many micros a new cacher has a chance to find some caches that are more interesting. ...

This type of 'solution' to the 'problem' always fills me with wonder. THis is because it assumes that cachers must be saved from themselves.

If someone finds a few caches and then hides similar caches, well, that means that they liked the ones that they found and want others to share their enjoyment. This is true whther those caches are multis ending with an ammo can overlooking a scenic view or a micro in your nearby Ralph's parking lot.

Presuming that they must change the 'quality' of caches that they enjoy for you is a little silly, in my opinion.

Edited by sbell111

Hmm, sbell111, I'm not so sure that's completely true. For example, I used to make rice for myself the way it was always served to me when I was young. Bland, wet, and more of a "filler" than a piece of the meal (edit: sorry mom :laughing: ). Someone else saw my rice and told me a great recipe that they use which really gives it a kick and also helped me to prevent oversoaking the rice.

I didn't really search out a better way to do rice but given rice and a recipe for doing it better, I definitely don't do it the old way any more.

I've taken non-caching friends out for a hunt once or twice and the times when I choose our route poorly and we end up doing micros under a flower box...they begin to wonder if this is really what I'm all excited about. The times that I plan better for introducing them to the hunt and we end at a bookstore where the entire flower box is the hidden cache, they start to think about the cool ways the hide could work out (many of which ways I get to tell them I have seen before).

If you can do 50 caches in your area and they all end up being derthly the same, then you will probably start to consider *that* to be the standard. I doubt you'll run out and rock the boat with your first hide. At that point, the next person sees 51 the same...and it perpetuates itself.

But this isn't just to focus on "poor hides" as a sole symptom. I still consider the "so many hides and any hide is just as ignorable as the next" syndrome to be more significant because it nurtures the poorer attitudes towards hiders, the hide itself, and the logging process.

Edited by ju66l3r

We completely understand.

We live in a cache sparse area with only 46 caches in a 50 mile radius...

The area has some very seasoned hiders and finders and it would be great if they would put out more... (our stats - we have 111 finds, 6 posted hides and 2 wating to be approved).

We recently have a hoard of newbies out here... which is wonderful, but there are a few who, after finding 5 caches decided to go on a hiding spree.

They are placing uncamoed medicine bottles EVERYWHERE...

it is to a point where my other half and I don't even need a gps to grab them...

They have become JAC while taking up areas where good caches could be hidden with a little thought and planning.

I'm not really complaining, just a bit frusterated.

Its to the point where, when we see his name we don't even rush out to go and find it...

We know our area needs caches and its good to have someone else partcipating, but it would be nice if they would put a bit of thought into it instead of placing medicine bottles in ever hole around.

We just have to keep reminding ourselves that they are playing the game their way... but GRRRRRR... i wish their way was a bit more interesting!!

Quality always beats quanity.

And I have noticed a lot more "cheater" threads.

What exactly is a "cheater" thread? My understanding is that if you don't actually get the cache and sign the log (except for the grandfathered virtuals and similar...), you don't get credit for the find - and it is up to the placer to delete the logs of the people who choose to cheat in this manner.

I had a cache I found a month or so back that was like 15 feet up a pole, obvious if you were looking for it, but difficult to get to depending on who was around and what time of day it was. Simply saying "Yup, I knew it was there - I get credit" just doesn't count - it's against the basic rules of the game (especially when #1 - logless caches aren't allowed anymore (at least new ones), and #2 - getting the cache is sometimes just as much work as finding it in the first place!).

The area has some very seasoned hiders and finders and it would be great if they would put out more... (our stats - we have 111 finds, 6 posted hides and 2 wating to be approved).

We recently have a hoard of newbies out here... which is wonderful, but there are a few who, after finding 5 caches decided to go on a hiding spree.

it is to a point where my other half and I don't even need a gps to grab them...

They have become JAC while taking up areas where good caches could be hidden with a little thought and planning.

Its to the point where, when we see his name we don't even rush out to go and find it...

We know our area needs caches and its good to have someone else partcipating, but it would be nice if they would put a bit of thought into it instead of placing medicine bottles in ever hole around.

We just have to keep reminding ourselves that they are playing the game their way... but GRRRRRR... i wish their way was a bit more interesting!!

I have to admit that I am one of those people who would like to be able to go out and find a few simple medicine bottles once in a while. I do like the feel of finding a difficult cache, but I also get a little frustrated when I go out and try to find a bunch of caches on a given day, and find that a number of them are just not findable... or I can't find them. I have seen some nice twists on the simple medicine bottle/film can, etc. I went out and placed a bunch of caches (I'm up to 15) after the first 200 or so I found. Every one has been a micro - I don't really know of placed to put large ammo boxes right now, but I am looking.

Our area is saturated with caches. But that is great - I don't think I would want to start this hobby off in an area where there just isn't anything to be found, or I have to drive 10-15 miles from cache to cache.

I started - or tried to start, in 2002 - searched for one cache, never found it. Went back a month or so ago and made it my #275 find... I didn't try again after the first attempt for a year, and then not again until a few months back... so if there just isn't stuff around to find, or it is too difficult, people may become discouraged.

I support a cache rating system - I think that would be great. I can think of some I spent an hour hunting for, and some I spent 2 minutes hunting for, and I liked both. I look at it this way - no cache is bad if it is there... someone put it out, and I'm willing to hunt for it. If you don't like easy ones, avoid anything below X stars in difficulty. If you LIKE mucking around in the woods (which I sometimes do, sometimes don't), avoid anything below X stars in terrain.

Just my humble opinion...

I have to admit that I am one of those people who would like to be able to go out and find a few simple medicine bottles once in a while. I do like the feel of finding a difficult cache, but I also get a little frustrated when I go out and try to find a bunch of caches on a given day, and find that a number of them are just not findable... or I can't find them. I have seen some nice twists on the simple medicine bottle/film can, etc. I went out and placed a bunch of caches (I'm up to 15) after the first 200 or so I found. Every one has been a micro - I don't really know of placed to put large ammo boxes right now, but I am looking.

Our area is saturated with caches. But that is great - I don't think I would want to start this hobby off in an area where there just isn't anything to be found, or I have to drive 10-15 miles from cache to cache.

I started - or tried to start, in 2002 - searched for one cache, never found it. Went back a month or so ago and made it my #275 find... I didn't try again after the first attempt for a year, and then not again until a few months back... so if there just isn't stuff around to find, or it is too difficult, people may become discouraged.

I support a cache rating system - I think that would be great. I can think of some I spent an hour hunting for, and some I spent 2 minutes hunting for, and I liked both. I look at it this way - no cache is bad if it is there... someone put it out, and I'm willing to hunt for it. If you don't like easy ones, avoid anything below X stars in difficulty. If you LIKE mucking around in the woods (which I sometimes do, sometimes don't), avoid anything below X stars in terrain.

Just my humble opinion...

Its not that we have anything against micros or even easy finds.

We actually like most of them... but its the newbies (I say newbies, its one in particular) in this area that are hiding brown, see through RX bottles at the bases of trees in busy parks that irk so much.

There is so little thought put into it and instead of taking the extra 15 min to do something properly, they just slap a post-it-note pad in a medicine bottle and stash it.

The cache WILL get muggled by kids, thrown out by the parks department or even worse reported to the police because it looks somewhat dangerous.

If they want to use that spot for a cache - nano, micro, puzzle, mystry, multi or otherwise, please put some thought into it!!

I don't so much agree with a rating system...

People who try hide caches should be encouraged... too little place as it is, I almost just wish they had a waiting period of say 20 finds under your belt before allowed hides.

Give you the opportunity to see several different ways of doing it and gety your own ideas.

With so many new people to the sport its only a matter of time before some really excellent hiders start doing their thing, its just a shame that good areas are being taken up with caches that you know will not stand the span of more than a few weeks, months if they are lucky...

Just my opinion.

Very well put FireRef. I especially like the part where you said that every cache is good because someone put it there. many times, a person may just need to be coached to be better, not bashed on the head for being lame. I have a lame cache myself (which I will be archiving since I realized that it was lame.) But the thing is, someone pointed out to me that I might want to be more inventive while placing caches, but they did not deride me for placing a lame cache or even tell me this on the thread of the replies, they emailed me privately. They still signed it, and thanked me for placing it and welcomed me to the game. I placed a lame cache just because I had found a cache and wanted to give something back and participate. A rating system would be great, as long as it was kept in the spirit of the game itself; getting people into the outdoors and into the largest team sport on the planet and not berating people because someone does not like the particular cache.

I like it. I used to go where the caches were. Now I go to new areas and look for cache listings in that area to motivate me to do the good hikes. Of course I don't so much dwell in the city areas as I do on the trail. And I haven't found a cache on a trail that I didn't like.

I don't think much has changed, to be honest. Maybe the old timers just get too philosophical and lose sight of what the activity really is. I of all people need to take a reality check once in a while, and do. So maybe that's why I'm not too caught up in the "old days" rhetoric.

Heck - my first cache and the first cache hidden were both pretty awful - so the standard was poor to start with. But it was never really about the container anyway, but a neat way to use gadgets to find stuff.

I like it. I used to go where the caches were. Now I go to new areas and look for cache listings in that area to motivate me to do the good hikes.

That's been my reason for geocaching from day one. I didn't buy a GPS to do geocaching, I owned one already. I don't need geocaching to get out, we are into camping and hiking all the way to winter mountain hiking anyway and have been before.

I'm lazy and don't log all DNF's (admitted), but actually finding the cache isn't the #1 anyway. Finding nice parks and hiking trails is. For me, the nicer the location the cache led me to, the more effort I am willing to put into actually finding the cache so I can thank the owner by signing the log and leaving some gloves.

We tried an urban micro once ... found a parking lot we drive by daily ... how great (yawn). So no more urban micros for me.

I know, my attitude will keep my numbers low, much lower than the urban cache hunter will get and even worse compared to the ones of pocket cache lovers and other caching masturbators. I can live with that.

Jan

I don't know if this is "on topic", but I think it may have some correlations to the topics being discussed.

Recently I noticed A LOT of new caches posting in my area, and at first it was nice to see some nice local stuff, but then people started placing WAY more caches then they were finding. It got to the point that small parks had several caches placed within them. And that got me thinking...

What happens when the push to hide-hide-hide gets so out of control that we used up so much of the space that exists for hiding? I just feel like there is such a thing as over population....and when you have a park that has a cache ever 500 feet or so, that scares me. I think it just upsets me and makes me wish that people would share common "values".

For example, we recently had a park pummeled with cache hides by the same cacher. Shouldn't there be a "share" value there? Like - you should leave space for other cachers to try thier hand at fun and interesting hides? Not - place a few micros here and there and claim ownership of the park.

Also - I do agree with some of the comments in this thread about logging. I try very hard to write something I liked, enjoyed, or had happen that was funny when logging my find. Be it a 5 mile hike, or a lamp skirt. I try and believe the owner worked hard to put something together they would be proud of (because in a perfect world they would be proud of it right...?!?!?!?). In the caches I've placed, my 100% absolute goal is to show others a wonderful area that I cherished, or a remarkable spot that I think people would not experience otherwise. I've never been about the numbers, I would rather hike miles then try and not draw suspision from locals while mingling behind a strip mall.

Finally - I was lucky. In my area there are some very nice Western New York woods. Some are pretty remote...so I have been very fortunate to experience some beautiful (and very diverse) natural settings. It actually caught me off gaurd once when I read in anothers log that they had just found thier first ammo can (after 100+ finds). The thought of finding over 100 caches without an ammo can kinda makes me queezy...lol. But that's me. :laughing:

~Szuchie

Just wanted to give another newbie perspective on this topic.

We have gotten a good bit of finds in a short amount of time (79 since joining April 17, 2006) and yes that is due to a good number of micro caches. I like that there is a variety of types of caches and depending on the day we have planned we adjust accordingly. The three main reasons we got into this are 1 - to have an activity that the whole family could do together (my daughter often hunts with us and she loves being able to find the cache first, she is only 4, so most of her finds are magnetic keyholders that I can help guide her to); 2 - to get some exercize (for example we recently did a multi that provided a good hike); and 3 - to see some places we wouldn't have seen before (like while visiting our friends in MA going to a cache that showed us a cool waterfall).

I do see some newer people get a little eager to place new caches and may not be putting the thought into their hides that others do or that you may be able to do with the experience of more creative caches, but I know that sometimes even the old pros may have some "lame caches". I have not hidden a cache yet, but am working on a few ideas - I want to have a few well thought out caches that the other cachers in the area will appreciate. One of the unexpected benefits of this game is I have met some very neat people in our area and from other parts of the state that I never would have met, I have even gotten to know a few people virtually :unsure:.

One poster made a comment about newbies complaining about bugs and other hazards of the wild. Now I have made comments in my logs about the level of ticks and chiggers encountered, but I hopefully have not been complaining rather giving info of the hunt. I have to admit I am going to go a little easier on the woodsy hunts for the next couple of months as I want a break from the scratching, although when I am "on the hunt" nothing will stop me.

I also wanted to make a comment about the comment on the lame posts that seem to be increasing. Now, I often only sign the paper log with our name since I have been doing more caches with small logs and hate to take up a lot of space and am usually trying to avoid being muggled. However, for a bigger cache/logbook, more time to log or a spectacular hide I will put a little more into the paper log - I actually was signing a log for a FTF with the cache hider standing there and he said - "Are you writing a novel?". When writing my online logs I have multiple things I am trying to accomplish: 1 - a journal of my hunt (find or dnf) for my "historical" reference, including which of the team was out for the hunt; 2 - a thank you to the hider and hopefully they will enjoy what I shared about my hunt; and 3 - info as appropriate for future hunters - not spoilers, but things like warning of a high number of ticks!

I think the great part of this game is that it can be done all manners of ways so you can do it alone, with a friend, with a bunch of friends, in the morning, in the dark, in the city, in the country, in a tree, etc. etc., unlike something like Tennis which has to be on a court with at least one other person and usually wearing an approved outfit! (not bashing Tennis, just the first thing that came to mind). Another thing is that everytime you add a new player, they just might be the one to come up with a really cool way to hide a cache for you to find.

Anyway, sorry for rambling and I hope that all the old pros can be encouraged that some of us newbies will be able to make a positive contribution to this game. :laughing: