The Project A.p.e. Geocoin - Orders Open

Semper Questio

Someone has put a GOLD APE coin on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Project-APE-GOLD-unact...1QQcmdZViewItem

Bound to happen some time.

Edit to add...

Hope the seller provides the activation code. I've been contacted several times by folks who have bought on e*** (and not from me) and did not get the activation codes with the coins. Maybe it's not right, but I'm no no longer giving them up if the coins didn't come from me. They'll have to get them from whomever they bought them from.

Edited by Semper Questio

I believe that individual is getting rid of almost all of their coins, activated and unactivated.

Yes, that seems to be the case. I see that my glow-in-the-dark geocoin is up for auction as well. I'm thinking they need the money for something more important, which is fine by me. And no, it's not stupid. They just changed their priorities in life and if you think about it, geocoins are pretty insignificant in the whole scheme of things.

I believe that individual is getting rid of almost all of their coins, activated and unactivated.

Yes, that seems to be the case. I see that my glow-in-the-dark geocoin is up for auction as well. I'm thinking they need the money for something more important, which is fine by me. And no, it's not stupid. They just changed their priorities in life and if you think about it, geocoins are pretty insignificant in the whole scheme of things.

Major dental bills for the girls and herself. Some folks just can't get a break... One unexpected thing after another.

Edit Added: I bid on it. Ebay is my only shot at getting a gold since I never found an APE cache.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I didn't say it was stupid.

I didn't say it was stupid.

Sorry, I was talking about the poster above yours.

Edit Added: I bid on it. Ebay is my only shot at getting a gold since I never found an APE cache.

Why would you want one if you never found an APE cache?

Seriously, we obviosuly don't see eye-to-eye on most things (and that's fine) but I would really like to understand this. This is not an attempt to pick a fight, but a legitimate question.

While it's quite a stretch I know, it would be like getting a Purple Heart but never being wounded in battle, wouldn't it?

Using your logic, many would have skipped buying the silver one then. They didn't.

It's a coin. I collect coins. I don't have it, therefore I'd like to own it. Pretty simple concept.

And just to stick with your analogy, there are people who collect military medals. None of them claim to have earned them. It's simply an item collected by some.

Using your logic, many would have skipped buying the silver one then. They didn't.

Not really, the silver coin was available to all. The gold was meant for those who found an APE cache. (Don't read into this)

It's a coin. I collect coins. I don't have it, therefore I'd like to own it. Pretty simple concept.

Yeah, I get that.

And just to stick with your analogy, there are people who collect military medals. None of them claim to have earned them. It's simply an item collected by some.

I guess I don't understand that either.

To each his/her own.

I guess it is just a COINCIDENCE that they bought the gold coin and never activated it, making it more valuable on eBay.

My opinion (obviously open to disagreement by others) is that it is an insult to Semper who put his heart and soul into this coin.

Might as well get over it. You can say it's an insult, but some may see it as a complement. A $9 coins is currently at $50 and I am confident it will get close to $100 before the auction ends. It's a commerical coin. It was sold. I don't see how reselling it is an insult. And as SQ already posted himself, it was bound to happen sooner or later. While I don't forsee too many of them being resold because of what they represent, it will happen from time to time. Might as well accept it now.

Also, please don't speculate about my friends. I assure you the coin wasn't purchased with the intent to sell it. Sometimes crappy circumstances happen to good people and the chick who is selling is a well-known, long time member of the geocaching community, just as you are :laughing:

I guess it is just a COINCIDENCE that they bought the gold coin and never activated it, making it more valuable on eBay.

My opinion (obviously open to disagreement by others) is that it is an insult to Semper who put his heart and soul into this coin.

I know this cacher, and she is the salt of the earth! She is one of the most wonderful people I have ever met.

I hope that S.Q. would know that her selling that coin is not an insult to him. I'm sure we all knows others who have hit hard times and have had to take the same measures.

Coins are great, but sometimes we have to sacrifice luxeries we enjoy to take care of our families.

Edited by MustangJoni

Well . . . I am fairly new to the forums, and I haven't gotten myself flamed yet, so this may break the ice

For the life of me, I do not understand how the subject of the last few posts in this topic is the business of anybody except Semper Questio and mystery person X (who bought the coin in the first place)

If SQ has an issue with MPX selling the coin, I would imagine that SQ would take it up with this person

It is not my business, and I don't see how it is ANYBODY's business, other than SQ and MPX

I do not believe that anybody else is entitled to be involved in the matter, unless invited by one of the two parties

I do not believe that anyone else is even entitled to know the outcome of such a situation, unless such information is distributed by one of the two parties

In short, why can't we all just mind our own business ?

Well . . . I am fairly new to the forums, and I haven't gotten myself flamed yet, so this may break the ice

If SQ has an issue with MPX selling the coin, I would imagine that SQ would take it up with this person

I have very good reason to believe that SQ isn't gonna get too worked up about. Once he sold the coin, it isn't his property.

In short, why can't we all just mind our own business ?

Oh, you ARE new here.

OK. While I'm waiting for my system to come back onlline (I'm working tonight), I'll jump in here.

First, as to who's business it is about the coin being for sale. It is only the business of the seller and the bidders. It's none of my business since i sold the coin. It is no longer mine and none of my concern (other than curiosity, of course).

Am I insulted? No. Will I feel in any way validated or important the higher the bids go? Not hardly. My sense of self-worth is not determined by what someone will pay for a few ounces of painted metal.

So the bottom line from my point of view? Free enterprise rocks!

OK, back to work.

Nite all.

OK. While I'm waiting for my system to come back onlline (I'm working tonight), I'll jump in here.

First, as to who's business it is about the coin being for sale. It is only the business of the seller and the bidders. It's none of my business since i sold the coin. It is no longer mine and none of my concern (other than curiosity, of course).

Am I insulted? No. Will I feel in any way validated or important the higher the bids go? Not hardly. My sense of self-worth is not determined by what someone will pay for a few ounces of painted metal.

So the bottom line from my point of view? Free enterprise rocks!

OK, back to work.

Nite all.

See?? I told you.

If you want ot be added to the nickel edition waiting list, just go to the website at http://www.tsqtx.com/apecoin and submit an order. Although I must tell you there is already a waiting list of 10 people for about 20 coins and there MIGHT be 3 or 4 coins that MAY become available and that's it.

If you want a gold Finder's coin, then you're out of luck. They have all been gone for a while and I'm no longer accepting orders for them and there is no waiting list.

OK folks. It's finally come. The last coin is gone. There are no more coins available - well, from me anyway.

Thanks to everyone who ordered and otherwise supported this project!

SQ

Thanks for all your hard work! The coins came out great and it's a nice thing to have if you've found an APE cache.