Omit "post Reviewer Note" Choice Once Cache Published

Geofellas

One phenomenon I observe frequently is that many people do not realise that reviewers do not automatically see "Reviewer Note"s that are posted on a cache once it has been published. The fact that the "Post Reviewer Note" option is available in the drop down on the logging page is an invitation to people to hold this misconception. Perhaps it would be sensible to remove this option from the logging page once the cache has been published so as to avoid this. Since it serves no purpose to have it there and so removing it would have only positive consequences.

An example of the kind of situation that often arises from this misconception is that a cache which needs to have its coordinates changed by more than 0.1 miles (often due to an error made when the cache is initially set up) ends up not having them changed for some time (if ever) and general frustration all round. For a recent case see this cache. So, as an adjunct to this suggestion I would also suggest that when a user tries to update the coordinates to one of their caches by an amount greater than the limit, the error message should include instructions to contact their reviewer directly (and, since ths info is available from the database, a hyperlink to the reviewer's profile as well would be super user friendly :lol: ).

Thanks for your consideration.

One phenomenon I observe frequently is that many people do not realise that reviewers do not automatically see "Reviewer Note"s that are posted on a cache once it has been published. The fact that the "Post Reviewer Note" option is available in the drop down on the logging page is an invitation to people to hold this misconception. Perhaps it would be sensible to remove this option from the logging page once the cache has been published so as to avoid this. Since it serves no purpose to have it there and so removing it would have only positive consequences.

I agree. Only reviewers should be able to post reviewer logs after a cache has been published. It's confusing for the cache owners.

So, as an adjunct to this suggestion I would also suggest that when a user tries to update the coordinates to one of their caches by an amount greater than the limit, the error message should include instructions to contact their reviewer directly (and, since ths info is available from the database, a hyperlink to the reviewer's profile as well would be super user friendly :) ).

I'm not sure this is a problem. The majority of times, when someone's trying to move a cache too far, it's an established cache, not a brand new one. The message addresses that issue. If a cache is being relocated that far, it probably needs to be resubmitted. If the owner needs to contact the reviewer, there's a link to their profile both on the cache page, and from the the Publish log.

If the "Published" note kicks in notification for those of us signed up for instant notification then the Reviewer Note should do the same for the reviewer. It is a common issue that people answer the reviewer's posted questions on the cache and the reviewer doesn't see it. The reviewer notice should be automatic.

Of course like all things that create programming work for the people behind the site, it's easy for me to say that, and harder to make it work.

So, as an adjunct to this suggestion I would also suggest that when a user tries to update the coordinates to one of their caches by an amount greater than the limit, the error message should include instructions to contact their reviewer directly (and, since ths info is available from the database, a hyperlink to the reviewer's profile as well would be super user friendly :) ).

I'm not sure this is a problem. The majority of times, when someone's trying to move a cache too far, it's an established cache, not a brand new one. The message addresses that issue. If a cache is being relocated that far, it probably needs to be resubmitted. If the owner needs to contact the reviewer, there's a link to their profile both on the cache page, and from the the Publish log.

I agree that if it is an established cache then moving it too far should indeed trigger a new cache listing as you suggest. However, the use case I was referring to, of which the example I provided was one instance, was the other common situation where IMHO this would be helpful. That is where an error has been made by the cache owner in typing in the initial coordinates when they first create the cache. Digit transpositions, fat finger syndrome etc. etc. I know - I did it myself once on one of my caches and it cost me a few beers with some of my friends who spent hours in the bush getting eaten alive by mosquitoes trying to find a cache that was 1.7km away!!. However at that time I had been around long enough to know that I had to contact the reviewer directly and that the Reviewer Note would not have been seen by him so the coordinates DID get updated as soon as I had recovered from the drubbing my friends gave me on their return. :)

With more and more newer cachers coming online and setting caches the more user friendly and idiot proof the website can be the better I think.

We tried that RK. The notes are not reviewer specific, so they go to everyone. All of them. It is a lot. I mean a lot. I post a note on every cache that is Terrain 1 . It is automatically deleted. Everyone would get a copy of it though. We often post notes asking for multicache coordinates. Now I post a note on every multicache asking cachers to use the new "waypoints" link that you see on the upper right of caches you own. They get deleted, but would go to everyone.

Multiply this times the number of reviewers in the world. Multiply that times all of the various types of reviewer notes that are posted.

It is a lot.

I mean a lot.

I would be in favor of removing the "Note to Reviewer" option after the cache is published, EXCEPT for use by volunteer cache reviewers. When I leave maintenance notes or other messages on a cache page, I use the "Frog Note" to differentiate my log from those left by other geocachers. It helps in flagging the fact that it's an official communication.

I would NOT be in favor of coding reviewer notes so that they are sent to the reviewer who is listed as having published the cache. Reviewer territory assignments change all the time. Before I joined the volunteer team in 2003, veteran reviewers like mtn-man were listing caches in Pennsylvania. If there's a maintenance issue on an old cache, it would make no sense to route the reviewer note to mtn-man. Rather, it should go to the current reviewer. But there are three reviewers in Pennsylvania now, and three in Ohio. The programming would be more confusing than it's worth.

I think it would be better to re-word the error message that pops up when too big of a coordinate jump is attempted. Something like this:

"If you are moving the physical location of this cache, this is too much of a move and you should submit a new cache. If you are just correcting an error, contact your reviewer for assistance."