"receiver Update", Speedup With V2.9 For 76csx?

Okay, so I was running 2.7, and I updated to 2.9 this evening. After doing the update, the Web Updater told me that I should check again for more updated software. After doing so, it found "GPS Receiver software" that it installed. There was no version or description, and the unit did not go to the blank screen during the update. Was this an update to the SiRF receiver? Checking the Garmin website for "all updates", I don't see anything relating to the 76csx except the main firmware.

Fiddling with the unit just now, I noticed something was "different". It felt a lot...snappier. Button presses (particularly Page) seem much more instantaneous. Am I imagining things? POI searching seemed much faster too...route calculation about the same.

I also noticed the 2.9 changenote described USB mass storage support (buried in the system menus) and "improved macintosh compatibility"...which is hilarious, since there isn't any MacOS X Garmin software (yet) that I know of. Is this a precursor for upcoming releases, I wonder?

Oh, btw- I downloaded nRoute. Good stuff! Why is it so buried? :-)

I only wish they would keep updating it, and then I wouldn't need Streets & Trips installed as well...