I Want To Geocache With A Garmin Nuvi 350

I need HELP. We just bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 for our summer vacation. We wanted to be able to have voice directions and geocache. I have done the software update with WebUpdater (on Garmin after you register your unit). I wanted to try to Geocache with my daughter tonight, but we were so disappointed when we tried to put in a waypoint from Geocaching.com and could not figure out how to do it. All it wanted was an address.

What do I do? Do I have to buy additional software? How do I go geocaching with what I have?

...Garmin Nuvi 350 ... How do I go geocaching with what I have?
I don't think you can. I don't own one, but I have handled one and looked through the manual. I don't think there's any way to set a waypoint by entering coordinates, or any way to download custom POI's from computer. I could be wrong...

Thanks for all the insight. I think I will try the Garmin POI Loader to see if that does what I need it to.

Please feel free to reply some more, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again.

<sorry there was no edit in content I was trying an experiment to kill the bold tag from the signature of the previous poster>

Edited by BlueRajah

As described in numerous other threads about Nuvi, you *can* geocache with it, but it's not the ideal unit for it.

You can copy a GPX file straight to the unit and poof, you have waypoints. The latest firmware adds direct coord entry if you're into that. POI loader is, for the most part, a distraction to this problem.

What you don't have is the equivalent of a "compass" screen on Nuvi; you have to play the "walk until the coords match" game.

Nuvi is an incredible unit for what it was built to do (it's very impressive to order "two beers, please" in German and have the unit speak it for you, then offer you a currency conversion and a tip calculator) but geocaching really isn't one of them.

I need HELP. We just bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 for our summer vacation. We wanted to be able to have voice directions and geocache. I have done the software update with WebUpdater (on Garmin after you register your unit). I wanted to try to Geocache with my daughter tonight, but we were so disappointed when we tried to put in a waypoint from Geocaching.com and could not figure out how to do it. All it wanted was an address.

What do I do? Do I have to buy additional software? How do I go geocaching with what I have?

I have already answered you yesterday but got no response. This is my first time, and I am not sure this reply is going to reach you.

To add a waypont using coordinates, Close the antenna, touch "where to?", scroll down to "coordinates", enter the latitude and longitude, hit "next" and then save it. Simple. Of course, you have to have upgraded your software to version 3.3. Please let me know if you got this message. I find this forum a little difficult to navigate! My email is alanmartinsr@verizon.netalanmartinsr@verizon.net

Edited by agmartin

:lol: It does indeed work. I have one, and have loaded waypoints using the POI loader from the Garmin site. You install the POI loader; download the waypoints off this site. The locations show up in the favorites section on the NUVI, and as treasure chests on the map.

I just got my Nuvi today and I put in the coordinates to find a cache, but how can i see where i am at exactly? The nuvi gets me to the spot, but then what? I used to use an ique and you could get close like the nuvi and then you could use the numbers to match up exactly where the cache was by walking around. I don't see how to find my current coordinates.

Edited by chris916

i have owned my Nuvi360 for about a month now...i see the treasure chest icon, but does it "open" when you've found a cache, like the handhelds? i couldn't figure out how...

as for using it to cache, we set the "vehicle" for pedestrian, and follow the highlighted path as the "arrow"

anyone know if pocket queries send to GSAK can be uploaded?

sure would make it easier!!

The Garmin Nuvi 350 is totally for drivers and unexperienced GPS users. Very cool unit but designed with driving in-mind. Since you all ready have a Nuvi 350 you might as well just buy a cheap GPS for Geo-caching. Maybe look for a used unit on ebay or look at the magellan explorist series or etrex series. Both have cheaper units great for Geo-caching

The Garmin Nüvi 350 works fine for downloaded caches! The only sad part is that the resolution on the Nüvi just goes down to 1cm = 30m. That makes it a little bit difficult to find the exact spot.

I use my Nuvi 350 for caching and have no problems at all (other than the fear of hurting the little bugger and the limited battery life ~4 hours for me) A couple of hints for others getting into it:

Run your pocket queries and upload your POI (with the POI loader) on the SD card - not the unit. When you turn on your unit tell it NOT to overwrite the data on the unit so you can have all your old POIs and custom waymarks saved.

The other great feature with the nuvi is driving around and having the top 5 caches and mileage from your current location displayed. If you're tooling down the road just press "where to, favorites, custom POIs" and then select the file with your caches in it. I have a 2 gig SD card and have tons of music and >3,000 caches loaded.

I don't have any issues with finding caches either - you just have to get a little used to navigating with map. I'll also occasionally resort to the satelite image to find my exact coords (by pressing the signal strength bars from the main navigation page.

What you don't have is the equivalent of a "compass" screen on Nuvi; you have to play the "walk until the coords match" game.

While it is true that there is not a "compass" feature I don't have any difficulty locating caches in the "map" mode. Once I am in the general vicinity of the cache (after I park my car and go towards the cache). I tap the screen to go to map mode. The unit will then display the POI on the map and your location (with a circle around you indicating the satellite error). Depending on how you loaded your POI you may need to "save" it in order to see it on the map but I really haven't had any problems with it at all so if people have Nuvis and want to go caching it can certainly be done just fine.

The machine also can handle ton of POIs so when I'm tasking a road trip I run several PQs and then dump them to the unit with no worries. I currently have >3,000 caches loaded on my unit and have no probs at all. Just be sure to load the POIs to the SD card and tell the unit not to overite your custom POI. I read somewhere that someone crashed their unit when they copied directly to internal memory.

By looking at the skyview, you can see the coordinates you are at. Buzz around until they match the cache's coordinates.

You don't need to "Buzz" around. The coord numbers go up for N and W. So, knowing which way N is, just head in the right direction to match the coords. Which brings up another issue - you need to know what the coords are in order to know which direction to head. You can bring a printout, or, using GSAK, you can tag the coordinates to each waypoint using the POILoader.

Hey all you Nuvi cachers - I found a GSAK MACRO that pretty much makes cahing with NUVIs completely paperless. The MACRO exports whatever info you need/want from GSAK to independant .csv files for uploading with POI.

I have my nuvi so each each cache name is complete with hint, last found date, last 4 finds (finds or no finds) and the lat/lon of the cache displayed so I can easily track in satelite mode to get to ground zero.

It is super nice and can be found at

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6918

You of course will need to be competent with GSAK to take advantage but it is definitely worth it.

I have just begun geocaching and I have a garmin nuvi 350 and I just use the 'where am i' (when I get close) option to match the coordinates & it works great... :)

I am very new at this but me & my daughters are hooked..

Edited by fleabags_123

I have been using a Garmin nuvi 350 and the biggest issue is (in my opinion) finding the best way to load the waypoints. This is what I've come up with (for Windows users)...

1) From the cache listing page, download LOC files with multiple waypoints. (Premium members may be able to use Pocket Queries to download GPX files directly and skip the next step.)

2) If downloading multiple LOC files, use Easy MPS ( http://www.iancowley.co.uk/caching/ ) to combine them into a single GDB file, Else skip this step and use your LOC file in the next step.

3) Open your LOC or GDB file in MapSource. If you do not already have MapSource, you can download it using the method described here.

4) Use Garmin POI loader ( download from here ) to create a GPI file. It will be named Poi.GPI (NOTE: It is STRONGLY recommended to have POI Loader save the file to your hard drive, and not to your device directly. See the next step for clarification.)

5) Rename your new GPI file to something approprite, say, geocaches.gpi, and move the file to the Garmin\POI folder of your nuvi device.

That's it for getting the waypoints to your device.

Once you've done this, your waypoints will be visible in Where To > My Locations > Custom POIs. You will see a category listing as whatever-you-named-your-GPI-file.

You will only be able to list 50 POIs nearest your location using the above method.

POIs will show as small round dots at the closest 2 zoom levels.

I have found that once approaching GZ, set the nuvi in off-road mode (Settings > Navigation > Route Preference > Off Road) to get the nuvi to follow your position better, and generate straight-line routes. Tap the map screen once to orient it north-up, if you are in track-up mode.

One other note is I have found the "vehicle" arrow has an impact on my accuracy, as it is hard to determine where the true center of the arrow is... I have found to stay away from the Blue arrow, and use any other (available from WebUpdater ) If you use pretty much any arrow other than the blue arrow, the "center" is where the 3D lines come together. If this doens't make sense, look at it first hand. If it still doesn't make sense, go stand near an intersection, and go to the closest zoom level. Notice your position relative to the center of the arrow.

All that said, I find the Nuvi 350 to be quite acceptable for Geocaching. :-)

I have been using a Garmin nuvi 350 and the biggest issue is (in my opinion) finding the best way to load the waypoints. This is what I've come up with (for Windows users)...

1) From the cache listing page, download LOC files with multiple waypoints. (Premium members may be able to use Pocket Queries to download GPX files directly and skip the next step.)

2) If downloading multiple LOC files, use Easy MPS ( http://www.iancowley.co.uk/caching/ ) to combine them into a single GDB file, Else skip this step and use your LOC file in the next step.

3) Open your LOC or GDB file in MapSource. If you do not already have MapSource, you can download it using the method described here.

4) Use Garmin POI loader ( download from here ) to create a GPI file. It will be named Poi.GPI (NOTE: It is STRONGLY recommended to have POI Loader save the file to your hard drive, and not to your device directly. See the next step for clarification.)

5) Rename your new GPI file to something approprite, say, geocaches.gpi, and move the file to the Garmin\POI folder of your nuvi device.

That's it for getting the waypoints to your device.

Once you've done this, your waypoints will be visible in Where To > My Locations > Custom POIs. You will see a category listing as whatever-you-named-your-GPI-file.

You will only be able to list 50 POIs nearest your location using the above method.

POIs will show as small round dots at the closest 2 zoom levels.

I have found that once approaching GZ, set the nuvi in off-road mode (Settings > Navigation > Route Preference > Off Road) to get the nuvi to follow your position better, and generate straight-line routes. Tap the map screen once to orient it north-up, if you are in track-up mode.

One other note is I have found the "vehicle" arrow has an impact on my accuracy, as it is hard to determine where the true center of the arrow is... I have found to stay away from the Blue arrow, and use any other (available from WebUpdater ) If you use pretty much any arrow other than the blue arrow, the "center" is where the 3D lines come together. If this doens't make sense, look at it first hand. If it still doesn't make sense, go stand near an intersection, and go to the closest zoom level. Notice your position relative to the center of the arrow.

All that said, I find the Nuvi 350 to be quite acceptable for Geocaching. :-)

With the nuvi once you get to the spot with the driving directions the swithch over to pedestrian and off road. So far has worked better than my 60csx

How do you switch the Nuvi to pedestrian and off road????

( Menu > ) Settings > Navigation > Route Preference > ...

Learning, learning, learning. After reading this forum and doing some other research I had a great weekend of caching with my Nuvi 350. I'll start by saying that I became a premium member - well worth it to have access to the pocket queries. Here is my current method.

I run a pocket query (show me fifty caches, within ten miles, all traditional, not found by me, hide my finds).

I receive the zip file and unzip it to get the gpx file.

I downloaded the custom POI loader from Garmin.

Using the Custom POI loader I read the gpx file and upload them to the Nuvi.

On the Where To? menu there is now a new selection "Custom POI"

Pop the Nuvi in your car and pull up the custom POI list. It will show the distance from you and the relative direction. You can select one at any time but if you leave this up while driving around you will see the list changing as the Nuvi recalculates.

Pick one and the usual screen with coordinates AND a description will pop up. There is also a chance to view a map to see where it is. Hit Go and follow the Nuvi street directions to get therr.

When you arrive and park. DO THIS. Stop the trip (red button). Now on navigation setting switch to off road and pedestrian mode. This stops it from trying to drag you back to a road.

Now, go back to recently selected and hit the cache id again and hit GO. The nuvi will draw a straight line from your position to the cache - no roads. As long as you are moving it will recalculate your position and all you have to do is follow the magenta line to the cache - no trying to calculate the N and W or opening up the satellite view (unless you like to do math in your head). When you get to the cache the voice will probably even say "arriving at GCXXXX" Yeah. Stop the route (red button)

Find the cache and then (assuming you have cleared your favorites) look at recently selected again and choose the cache ID again but click "add to favorites". Then back out. If you do this, when you get home you can look at your favorites to see all the caches you found. Remember to clear them out once you log them.

I haven't used a gps with a compass finder but following the straight line on the Nuvi while walking is pretty easy you can see when you're off course compared to the line - I like the triangle avatar instead of the cars to make it easier.

Don't forget to set the navigation back for vehicles by reversing the pedestrian and off road settings.

Now, there are ways to get all the details into the nuvi if you don't want to be lugging around paper but it seems a bit complicated. If you happen to have a pda (I have a iPaq pocket pc) you can get a program like gpxview that will read the same gpx file that you loaded into the nuvi and give you a nice list of all of your caches. You can sort by name or by id and when you click on one all the details and even the last four log entries come up. Way better than pieces of paper getting crumpled and wet and falling all over the place. With these two pieces of technology working I was able to go paperless all weekend.

I hope this helps you Nuvi owners. It has been mentioned elsewhere but don't forget that the Nuvi isn't waterproof, shockproof, etc. so you'll have to treat it a little more gently but when it comes to getting you around unfamiliar places to locate a cache - the Nuvi does a great job. A little more complicated to use out of the car but once you get it to draw a straight line from your car to the cache - hey how hard can it be?

Just wanted to add a few more tips.

I know this thread is a few years old, but I just found it because I wanted to use my Nuvi 350 as well. I printed out all these tips, but should have tested it first. I drove quite a distance but couldn't get a thing to work. I did everything that the above posts talked about: created a POI ahead of time, switched it to Off Road and Pedestrian, etc. but I got all kinds of odd results. For instance, Map showed me Uruguay.

So here's a tip, not so obvious if you've only used your Nuvi for driving:

You know that flap on the back? I thought it was just to cover the port that plugs into the stand, but it's actually an antenna. If you don't flip it up, you won't get a GPS signal.

Also I found that if you set coordinates (Where To?/My Locations/Set Coordinates), it defaults to your current location. I assumed it was defaulting to the coordinates I had last put in. Couldn't figure out why as soon as I pressed Go, it told me I was there when I knew I wasn't.

Also keep in mind that entering coordinates as degrees only goes to 5 decimal places, and it truncates, not rounds. So 42.456789 will save as 42.45678, not 42.45679.

It still does some odd things. For instance, I entered coordinates and pressed Save. Later I realized it had changed them from what I had entered. I still haven't figured out why, but I recreated it.

But that's ok. Now that I'm actually getting a signal, I can always go to satellite view to see my present location and go from there.

Hope this was helpful.