Caching Guidelines Near Schools

Gypsy1970

This may have been asked before and if so I apologize. Does anyone know how close is too close when placing a cache near a school? There is a park near an elementary school and I wanted to place a micro about .10 mile or more from the school. Not sure if there is guidelines that state how far it needs to be. I just read that "near" a school is not allowed but not sure how "near" they mean. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

When I have a question about a cache location I email my local reviewer. They have always come back within a day or two with an answer. It's nice to know before hand if one of my ideas won't work out - saves work and time which can be spent on other caches.

But back to your question. A lot of parks are located next to schools. My own personal feelings is to stay away from play yards (even in parks) and stay off of the school property. If an adult would feel uneasy in that area during school time then I wouldn't place one there myself.

The answer is - it depends. School property is obviously off limits. Directly across the street probably won't fly either. If there is a public park across the street that might change things. .1 mile away in a city would usaually be fine because it probably a city block or more away, but that same .1 mile for a lone school in a rural setting might not be far enough.

The general rule of thumb that you can use is that if searchers are likely to draw the attention of school officials or security, its not a good place.

Why is near a school a no-no?

Would you want to see someone sneaking around in the trees and bushes, not knowing what they are doing while your child is walking by?

Exactly. You have to remember what our (or any) activity is going to look like to those protecting children.

The photo below is but one example of many. The cache container, located at the red dot, was discovered by school personnel and triggered the evacuation of the school, and a law enforcement callout. There are many other examples, based on both accidental discovery of suspicious containers, and on observations of geocachers behaving suspiciously. After enough examples accumulated, schools were added to the list of "off limits" locations.

f4b75d3a-8e74-4402-b935-9b6a25e862ed.jpg

The photo below is but one example of many. The cache container, located at the red dot, was discovered by school personnel and triggered the evacuation of the school, and a law enforcement callout. There are many other examples, based on both accidental discovery of suspicious containers, and on observations of geocachers behaving suspiciously. After enough examples accumulated, schools were added to the list of "off limits" locations.

But isn't also true that if the school wishes to place the cache as part of a project that they can do so? I've done one like that.

JDandDD

But isn't also true that if the school wishes to place the cache as part of a project that they can do so? I've done one like that.

JDandDD

With permission of the principal. The janitor, track coach or head of the history dept don't count. I've had to turn down several teachers who tried to place caches on school grounds. When I asked for the principal's permission, they hemmed and hawed in each case, then gave up, or tried a spot away from the school. I guess they were sure the principal wouldn't allow it.

Myself, I have seen caches that are very close to schools but these are older caches. When I see a cache that is close to a school I just do not bother with it. If some is hidding a cache that they think it may be to close to a school, maybe it is to close.

A good rule of thumb, if it is a place were a single adult male may look out of place, it is not a place for a cache.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Just try this litmus test:

Picture the average cacher that would be visiting the cache at the same time children would be present: single, male, possibly in a camo jacket or with a Vest Of Many Pockets, GPSr, camera, etc. If it's raining or cold or snowy, imagine what he would look like with the various bulges for PDA, cellphone, water bottle holster.

If your child was in the area wouldn't you be concerned?

My children's elementary school has a very nice batch of woods abutting the playground. The buildiing has routinely been placed on lockdown for hikers, farmers, and even local wildlife researchers being spotted in the woods. I would LOVE to place a cache in there but the DNF reports would routiinely mention police interference.