Micro Cache Icon

Sand-Man

people on the forums do not understand that micro is a size and not a type, and they obviously never will because all they ever do is gripe about micros being seperate from other cache sizes.

micro is a SIZE

icons are for cache TYPES

a micro where the coords on the page lead to the location for the micro is a TRADITIONAL

why is this concept so hard to grasp?

people on the forums do not understand that micro is a size and not a type, and they obviously never will because all they ever do is gripe about micros being seperate from other cache sizes.

micro is a SIZE

a micro where the coords on the page lead to the location for the micro is a TRADITIONAL

I don't know what you're talking about...I love traditional caches and hate micros, how can you say that they're the same???

Well I am new to this and it looks to me like they should be seperate. The only real grip that I have heard about Micros as I have already found is that most of them have no value at all. I can throw out a 33MM film case anywhere along a road and call it a cashe..... Some will lead you to some real nice places and those I really enjoy. It's the ones on the side of the road that give you a great view of the ditch and serve no purpose at all except for someone to clain that they own it and someone found it....... I didn't mean to bring on the griping. Just looking for a whay to avoid the type that do not enterest me....

Well I am new to this and it looks to me like they should be seperate. The only real grip that I have heard about Micros as I have already found is that most of them have no value at all. I can throw out a 33MM film case anywhere along a road and call it a cashe..... Some will lead you to some real nice places and those I really enjoy. It's the ones on the side of the road that give you a great view of the ditch and serve no purpose at all except for someone to clain that they own it and someone found it....... I didn't mean to bring on the griping. Just looking for a whay to avoid the type that do not enterest me....

And you can also toss out a decon/tupperware/ammo can/5 gallon bucket anywhere and call it a CACHE. Some will lead you to some real nice places. It's the ones on the side of the road that give you a view of a ditch and serve no purpose except for someone to claim that they own it and someone else found it.......

Same thing, only the size of the container is different. Hence, they're still all called traditional caches.

All I can suggest is some prior research before you go if you can't narrow down using the existing tools. For example, have a quick peek in Google Earth before you go.

micro is a SIZE

All true, except in the case of events... :lol:

There are lame regular size caches, and lame micros. I think lame micros are easier, because you can always have the container ready and drop it where ever you want (like say, your favorite shopping mall).

What we REALLY need is an icon for LAME caches, no matter what size... :lol:

micro is a SIZE

I don't know what you're talking about...I love traditional caches and hate micros, how can you say that they're the same???

No, you like regular sized traditional caches, not micro sized traditional caches. There's a difference.

micro is a SIZE

No, you like regular sized traditional caches, not micro sized traditional caches. There's a difference.

I have to admit...I was trolling... :)

but thanks for the informative heads-up...it will be of use to some newbies or people who seem not to be able to get this...

NFA - Jamie

What we REALLY need is an icon for LAME caches, no matter what size... :)

But you'd need to define exactly what a lame cache is.

Then you would get the "lame cache numbers whores" who will try to find or place more lame caches then anyone else.

Followed shortly by the "lame cache purists" who will insist that a cache isn't lame because it doesn't follow their definition of "lame", and complain that some people are cheating by calling caches lame that aren't.

Finally the obligatory dozens of threads, anger, angst, name calling, threats by moderators, death and destruction in the forums. Oh, the humanity!

As a premium member you have the ability to do a Pocket Query (PQ) and in them you can specify what size you want. UNcheck the micro size and you have what you want. So what you've asked for already exists.

But then you miss out on the opportunity to find caches like this one, and this one, and this one which are easy-to-find, but located in remote locations with fantastic views. :)

Thanks for all the info. Makes sence to me now. Use the tools and do the research. No sence in just putting an icon on the search results page. That would be to easy.

Makes no diference if you like micros or not. It's the icon that I was asking about and not opinions about micros.

As a premium member you have the ability to do a Pocket Query (PQ) and in them you can specify what size you want. UNcheck the micro size and you have what you want. So what you've asked for already exists.

But then you miss out on the opportunity to find caches like this one, and this one, and this one which are easy-to-find, but located in remote locations with fantastic views. :anibad:

Actually, you'd miss out on every micro - both good and "bad". :)

I should have added, Check the micro size if you like them.

Thanks for all the info. Makes sence to me now. Use the tools and do the research. No sence in just putting an icon on the search results page. That would be to easy.

Makes no diference if you like micros or not. It's the icon that I was asking about and not opinions about micros.

Except there IS an icon on the search results page that indicates micro. This information is on the VERY FIRST POST that replied to you. No sence in actually reading the thread is there? That would be to easy.

This is the icon for micros: micro.gif

This is the icon for regulars: regular.gif

etc.

[Edit to add icons]

Edited by Tharagleb

Except there IS an icon on the search results page that indicates micro. ....

etc.

[Edit to add icons]

I can't believe I hadn't caught on to that before - right on the search page. Amazing the info available if you just look. Thanks for the info! Cache size is not what guides me, but it is nice to know before you go sometimes. Right now I'm going to be focusing on whether or not there is bushwacking and bugs as I am trying to avoid the bugs for the summer so guessing I will be doing more micros until the bugs die down.

Except there IS an icon on the search results page that indicates micro. ....

etc.

[Edit to add icons]

I can't believe I hadn't caught on to that before - right on the search page. Amazing the info available if you just look. Thanks for the info! Cache size is not what guides me, but it is nice to know before you go sometimes. Right now I'm going to be focusing on whether or not there is bushwacking and bugs as I am trying to avoid the bugs for the summer so guessing I will be doing more micros until the bugs die down.

Since you are a Premium Member, you can set up your Pocket Queries to either exclude, or include, Micros.

If you use a third-party program like GSAK, you could even have different databases to simplify your searches. One could have caches with a Terrain rating of '2' or above, which means they are probably buggy walks. You could just leave that database of cashes alone for now, just refreshing it with its specific PQ every now and again.

The other database could be made up of the PQs that have easier caches located closer to pavement . . . and therefore bug free. :blink:

What we REALLY need is an icon for LAME caches, no matter what size... :laughing:

But you'd need to define exactly what a lame cache is.

Then you would get the "lame cache numbers whores" who will try to find or place more lame caches then anyone else.

Followed shortly by the "lame cache purists" who will insist that a cache isn't lame because it doesn't follow their definition of "lame", and complain that some people are cheating by calling caches lame that aren't.

Finally the obligatory dozens of threads, anger, angst, name calling, threats by moderators, death and destruction in the forums. Oh, the humanity!

How about having a section to rate a cache when you log your visit? Like Amazon has for products. That way you could also filter out caches by average user rating. Unfortunately those that like street side caches may skew the results, but I think an overall average would give street-side, in the ditch caches a lower overall rating than deep in the forest, breathtaking view caches.

Or something more complex, like what's discusssed here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=135664

Edited by gjaros

If you become a Premium Member, you can Ignore caches you don't want to see in your Searches. Also, when you become a Premium Member, you can select just the ones you want to get in your Pocket Queries.

I don't even use the Site Search anymore because I have all the cache data I need in my GSAK database. For instance, in "my world," Puzzle caches don't exist. :laughing: