Paperless Caching

:anicute: I also placed this topic on GPS and Software section...

Paperless Caching

How to get started:...here is my story :P

I bought two (2) PDAs: Palm IIIx and a PalmIIIxe. I also bought a USB 12MBPS to Serial RS232 Cable... which it was stated that it would work with Windows XP.

My PC is USB only, no serial ports....with Windows XP

I have not been able to HotSync from my PC to Palm IIIxe

I have GSAK ($20) and Cachemate ($8)...and I did download the necessary programs.

I have acquired all necessary information for Paperless caching to get started, etc...

I guess my question is> Do the PDAs Palm IIIx and IIIxe work with Windows XP?

If so, then I am one dumb totally confused Geocacher..

I was going to give “Paperless” aching a go, but now I‘m at my wits end, about to give it up....

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed and greatly appreciated...I think any help would have to be simple and in terms that I can understand and follow :)

Thanks Guy

:anicute: I also placed this topic on GPS and Software section...

Paperless Caching

How to get started:...here is my story :P

I bought two (2) PDAs: Palm IIIx and a PalmIIIxe. I also bought a USB 12MBPS to Serial RS232 Cable... which it was stated that it would work with Windows XP.

I have GSAK ($20) and Cachemate ($8)...and I did download the necessary programs.

I have acquired all necessary information for Paperless caching to get started, etc...

I was going to give “Paperless” aching a go, but now I‘m at my wits end, about to give it up....

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed and greatly appreciated...I think any help would have to be simple and in terms that I can understand and follow :)

Thanks Guy

I had this same problem just the other day and finally got it figured out.

What I discovered was you have to use the usb connection/port so it says serial on a port that is not used in your computer. I have type of computer with no serial connections also. Check out your system device center and see how many ports there are listed and then use one that is not occupied and make sure that you set your hot sync using that port and it says serial not usb. The palm gets confused if you say usb. Took me about 3 hours to figure this out one night. Gave myself a headache.

:lol: I also placed this topic on GPS and Software section...

Paperless Caching

How to get started:...here is my story ;)

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed and greatly appreciated...I think any help would have to be simple and in terms that I can understand and follow :D

Thanks Guy

I had this same problem just the other day and finally got it figured out.

What I discovered was you have to use the usb connection/port so it says serial on a port that is not used in your computer. I have type of computer with no serial connections also. Check out your system device center and see how many ports there are listed and then use one that is not occupied and make sure that you set your hot sync using that port and it says serial not usb. The palm gets confused if you say usb. Took me about 3 hours to figure this out one night. Gave myself a headache.

Check out what I could...I have a laptop with two (2) USB connections. Stiff will not sync..Thanks

Does your hotsync manager come up when you hotsync? Is it is in your system tray? Does palm quick install open when you export from gsak? I got a palmvllx off ebay bought the serial/usb cable and it works great. But I did have to make sure that it was happy talking to XP and vice versa. I was very frustrated for ahwile as my husband and son can attest to.

This is a Thank You Note:

After 3 weeks of total fustration, sleepless nights, bad mood swings, and ticking my wife off, I am fully "paperless", I mean all the way...Plam IIIxe (with USB/Serial adapter), GSAK, CacheMate, and of course Geocaching network... :D

Just want to thank all you great people that provided me with the help that I needed...I will admit, that a lot of the info I didn't understand due to my intelligence level. But, I did stay with it and "viola". Now I have to study and understand GSAK. So now off to study class. Thanks again... :D:D:D:D Guy