Landowner Permission

Mine Have!

The one by RAF Lyneham was fun getting permission. I had to go onto the airbase with a map, the container and also try to explain what caching is about to 15 MOD police officers and also the base commandery type person, only to be told.....SO? why do we want to know?

GREAT! but at least I know, they know there is a cache near their runway so I can't be accused as being a terrorist!

Only one cache placed and yes, permission was obtained from the NT warden. I have tried to place two other caches but permission was not obtained. It is actually the fact that permission is in most instances hard to obtain/difficult to track down landowner, that I have not placed more caches. (and I'm basically lazy!)

I will post. My main ones are pukka. It took nearly 3 months of emails and letters but I now have written permission.

The only one I don't have permission for is in a very public place of interest and its a micro. I could'nt find out who owned the land but as there are loads of visitors I think it will be okay. If it is owned by Calderdale Council then I have blanket permission anyway.

I wasn't going to say anything, but as silence appears to be perceived as not obtaining permission, I will say that my caches are my business and the reviewers. Where I don't have permission I have stated so and gave my reasons when submitting the cache.

So it's 212 views and 3 replies.Shall we ask again?

So can we assume that all the other people who've viewed these posts have caches which haven't specifically been permission? :rolleyes:

Does *every* cache have to have permission? Including those on/near public footpaths?

Can we assume because you haven't actually said anything about your caches having permission or not, that your silence means you haven't got permission? :anicute:

I wasn't going to say anything, but as silence appears to be perceived as not obtaining permission...

I just browsed into this darn thread, and now I find myself defending my two little placements. OK so one of them is on public land and is beyond reproach (except for the fact that it's generally lame :rolleyes: ). The other is on private land and I do have explicit and enthusiastic permission for it to be there :anicute:

(wanders off to do something more constructive than browse the threads)

I wasn't going to say anything, but as silence appears to be perceived as not obtaining permission,

Telford Town Park

Local farmer

Shrops Wildlife trust (renogiation still ongoing)

Estate manager

County Council

Two are on the GAGB database the others are between us and local landowners.

I wasn't going to say anything, but as silence appears to be perceived as not obtaining permission, .......

You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. :blink:

Can we assume because you haven't actually said anything about your caches having permission or not, that your silence means you haven't got permission? :blink:

Maybe!!! :o I think it's a really gray area - and people are wary about speaking out because they're worried about their caches being disabled or removed.

From informal chats I've had with people, it seems to be there's an unwritten rule that if a cache is on (or very near to) a public footpath then you don't really need permission. Would anybody agree with this?

I think it's clear if the cache is in an SSSI or an obvious wildlife area, or an area that's fenced or clearly owned. What about the rest of the country? I realise that *all* land belongs to somebody - but how far do we take it? Have I completely misunderstood the *spirit* of the law? :o

For once, just for once, I'm glad I live in France. Well, I'm glad I live here every day, but from a geocaching point of view... you know what I mean.

In France, get this, every piece of land in the entire country can be used for hunting. Your back garden, even, if it's big enough. And "hunting" means blokes with shotguns. They have the right to come onto your land and blaze away.

The one rule they have to respect is to stay 150 metres away from your house. But if you have a big enough plot, they can come and hunt on it. You can try to keep them away by making it uninteresting (say, by shooting any wild animals yourself), but that's all.

As a result, since the people who manage the forests don't need to be consulted if you're going to blaze away with live rounds at anything with four legs (if you're lucky; the hunters manage a number of "Dick Cheney" incidents each year), you can bet that they don't mind caching. In fact I guess that if you right "this box is hunting-related" on your cache, it probably qualifies for a government grant. :o (Now I'm joking, but for the first time in this post).

How do I know all this? Because I placed a (complicated, nighttime-only) cache in a forest, only to have to take it away because it was a specific hunting reserve. The problem was not that I was infringing on the land, but that there was a non-zero chance that a cacher in the dark could have been taken for a deer or a poacher and received a "high-velocity lead injection". :blink:

I moved my cache to a forest which is managed by the city of Strasbourg. It's safe there because Strasbourg doesn't allow hunting in its forests. Hold on Nick, you say, you just told us you can hunt anywhere... well, yes you can. So Strasbourg lost a court case about it, and now pays an undisclosed amount of Euros a day in fines - 365 days a year, and this has been going on for years - to keep this status quo.

In France, get this, every piece of land in the entire country can be used for hunting. Your back garden, even, if it's big enough. And "hunting" means blokes with shotguns. They have the right to come onto your land and blaze away.

Quite the opposite here in England.You come onto my land and I'll blaze away at you.

You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. :laughing:

or as has been held up in court.... you're under arrest. the best thing you can do noe is shut the f$%k up! :laughing:

Two of mine are under the Hants CC general agreement.

I don't look for a place, then find the owner, I look for HCC land then look for a good place to place a cache.

The third is a micro on an HCC footpath with a giveaway title and clue to prevent unesseceassary (too early, I can spell it normally) exploring.

I've viewed this thread 4 times. :laughing:

I had a nice chat with the countryside ranger and he was all for geocaching. He gave me permission to place caches on any land in the Bury area that is managed by the rangers :laughing: The ranger at Hollingworth was also very helpful, with my daughter's cache. Countryside rangers are generally good people to involve, and the land which they manage is usually very suitable for cache placements!

My Lakes cache is on NT land and I wrote to the warden. about that one.

I am having an ongoing dialogue with Kirkby Lonsdale Town Council about planting a cache in one of their parks. It took me a few weeks to track down the right person to talk to, then I wrote a letter and was told it would be discussed at the next town council meeting. So I wait with baited breath :laughing:

Personally I feel happier if I have permission for my caches, but I think there are much worse things people do on land without permission than hide a little plastic box!

Can we assume because you haven't actually said anything about your caches having permission or not, that your silence means you haven't got permission? :laughing:

No I don't think we can.

How about assuming that I'm waiting for permission for my first cache, and some/most of the others don't see the need to justify their caches. :laughing:

I'm off to a parish council meeting tonight to get clearance for my first cache

And I'm still trying to find the right person to get permision for another one

I wonder which one will happen first?

Excitement is mounting in NE Wiltshire :lol::laughing::tired:

civilised

Hurdle crossed

My mistake - it was the finance and general matters sub-committee, but they are onside. Full council approval should follow in a fortnight

Can we assume because you haven't actually said anything about your caches having permission or not, that your silence means you haven't got permission? :laughing:

No I don't think we can.

How about assuming that I'm waiting for permission for my first cache, and some/most of the others don't see the need to justify their caches. :P

Can we assume because you haven't actually said anything about your caches having permission or not, that your silence means you haven't got permission? :unsure:

In my case, no. The reason my previous silence is explained in a PM.

I think you may be confused here, that question WAS NOT aimed at the forum members, but at the two members who in my opinion are pressurising people to come forward, without saying themselves about the status of their caches.

The beginning of this thread was making people feel bad about not giving their opinions, and was basically saying that if you haven't gave an opinion then you place caches without permission.

We all know that it is a touchy subject and that we should all ask for permission, but those people who don't, don't need to justify their actions on here. As long as the approvers are happy then the rest of us should be too.

So like yourselves I too am annoyed at being made to feel guilty about being silent.

I think you may be confused here, that question WAS NOT aimed at the forum members, but at the two members who in my opinion are pressurising people to come forward, without saying themselves about the status of their caches.

The beginning of this thread was making people feel bad about not giving their opinions, and was basically saying that if you haven't gave an opinion then you place caches without permission.

We all know that it is a touchy subject and that we should all ask for permission, but those people who don't, don't need to justify their actions on here. As long as the approvers are happy then the rest of us should be too.

So like yourselves I too am annoyed at being made to feel guilty about being silent.

I've just checked my posts above, and I don't think you meant me, but if you do then I apologise. That wasn't what I meant! :rolleyes:

I'm still pretty new to all this, and I just have this nagging feeling that I've got it all wrong - that I should have checked more before placing caches and that any moment I'm going to be told that I have to remove them all!! :rolleyes:

I guess I was just hoping for some reassuring words that I haven't done it all wrong <_< It certainly wasn't my intent to pressurise other people.

I think you're right though - if the cache cache has been approved then I should stop worrying and go and find some plastic boxes! :)