Omg Look!

I posted the way I did because I did not want to see this thread spin down that malicious cylce like so many others.

This....Light your torches and grab your pitchforks!..... was my light hearted commentary on recent trends. :D It was a eye catcher though. Got the thread 500 reads in just over 2 hours. Just a hint of tire smoke and crunching metal......... ;):lol:

Yes it did, and thanks for letting us know about this. Unlike recent threads I hope this one can stay civil.

I put it out there to see what happens. It's a one-time shot, and if it doesn't sell, I will never put it up for sale again.

Are you insane? I can't believe you did this.

If you want something to sell you low-ball it and let folks fight over it. A high starting number scares folks off and you never get the momentum. *sheesh* It'll never sell now.

:lol:

Hope it works out for you.

I doubt it will sell. I know that here are collectors for pretty much anything, so there must be someone interested somewhere. But a feedback rating of 2? Trying to sell something for several thousands of dollars which such a low feedback is usually hopeless.

Suggestion to the seller from someone who has done a fair bit of e-bay selling : if you want to sell something big, you have to build up a bit of feedback before, I`d say at least 10. (Quick way : just buy a few cheap things all from different sellers, pay quickly, and see your feedback grow. Better way : sell smaller stuff first, ship quickly... some buyers will only consider feedback from buyers)

Still, I wish him luck.

I doubt it will sell. I know that here are collectors for pretty much anything, so there must be someone interested somewhere. But a feedback rating of 2? Trying to sell something for several thousands of dollars which such a low feedback is usually hopeless.

Suggestion to the seller from someone who has done a fair bit of e-bay selling : if you want to sell something big, you have to build up a bit of feedback before, I`d say at least 10. (Quick way : just buy a few cheap things all from different sellers, pay quickly, and see your feedback grow. Better way : sell smaller stuff first, ship quickly... some buyers will only consider feedback from buyers)

Still, I wish him luck.

Considering how many people know who the seller is, the feedback rating is pretty much moot. It would be different if the OCB just came up out of nowhere.

Now if the OCB had the face of say the Virgin Mary, or Jesus Christ on the can, be it rust or dirt, it may sale for more then its asking price. Heck, a grilled cheese sandwich with the image of the Virgin Mary went for what, $28,000?

And I for one hopes someone scoops this one up and the buyer gets far more than he's asking.

It should be made into a Geo-shrine, and every Geocacher should pay homage to it before going out caching. We could start our own geo-religion, we could really shake this world off its axis.

Heck the government is taking away the ten commandents, schools are no longer saying prayer, and Pepsi is leaving off "In god we trust" on their new cans. *according to my email*

Can we do any worse?

So bow down to the OCB and say a prayer for FTF. Then go caching! :)

Cache on!

*stumbles off his orange crate*

Knowing of a few things that have been sold on EBay -- I will be surprised if this doesn't sell for more than the asking price. Good luck Jeff.

That being said...remember us, Team 360? We knew you when you were just a unknown, poor Geocacher...Remember us when you go collect your couple-a million!

Actually, I think this is a great way to promote Geocaching - that crazy, zany idea that is probably just a passing fad of the 20th century.

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking, you both live in the same area and if you would just PM Jeff and ask - I bet he would be happy to meet and show you the famous OCB before he sells it. :)

This is fun...thanks Team 360!

Shirley~

That is part of geocaching history and for someone to make a profit off of it is just plain sickening.

Yes, I agree. Sickening, just sickening!

I put it out there to see what happens. It's a one-time shot, and if it doesn't sell, I will never put it up for sale again.

I've been thinking really hard about this. I tell you what. I will go ahead and trade you the O.C.B. for your next years premium membership. Hopefully that will relieve that sickening feeling. I would even then donate it to the Worldwide Museum of Geocaching. Sounds like a good trade to me.

That's just me though. :blink:

That is part of geocaching history and for someone to make a profit off of it is just plain sickening.

Yes, I agree. Sickening, just sickening!

I've been thinking really hard about this. I tell you what. I will go ahead and trade you the O.C.B. for your next years premium membership. Hopefully that will relieve that sickening feeling. I would even then donate it to the Worldwide Museum of Geocaching. Sounds like a good trade to me.

I have been biting my tongue aout this one for 3 days. Thanks Mtn-Man for putting my thoughts in a humorous light.

I believe he would had a better chance of getting $7,500+ if it had a much lower starting bid, but a $7,500 reserve. Makes me wonder if he really wants to sell it.

Believe me, if I get a legit bid on it, I'll sell it.

Let's say I started the bidding at $1, with a $7500 reserve, and the bids topped out around $1200. The value of the O.C.B. would then be set at $1200. Moun10Bike coins are going for over $2000, so I would think this 'Holy Grail' of Geocaching (as it's been called) is worth at least that much, don't you? This way, with even one bid, the value is set at $7500.

But is it even worth it for me to let it go for $100, or $1000? Nope. I have spent several times that amount out of my own pocket to haul it around to Events, showing it to the community, which I can no longer afford to do. Unfortunately, the O.C.B. appearances will be few and far between, from here on out.

If it doesn't sell, so be it. It'll never be offered for sale again, but I thought I would put it out there and see if any serious geocaching collector wants to 'take it over'. :blink:

Let's say I started the bidding at $1, with a $7500 reserve, and the bids topped out around $1200. The value of the O.C.B. would then be set at $1200. ...

If it doesn't sell, so be it. It'll never be offered for sale again, but I thought I would put it out there and see if any serious geocaching collector wants to 'take it over'. :blink:

I understand the connection that you feel with this item. Unfortunately, the true value of such an item is defined by the market, not by your monetary outlay or your personal feelings about it.

That being said, if bidding didn't reach your reserve price, why do you care what the market value is? You have been clear that is it doesn't sell for the $7500, it will never be sold.

I believe he would had a better chance of getting $7,500+ if it had a much lower starting bid, but a $7,500 reserve. Makes me wonder if he really wants to sell it.

Believe me, if I get a legit bid on it, I'll sell it.

Let's say I started the bidding at $1, with a $7500 reserve, and the bids topped out around $1200. The value of the O.C.B. would then be set at $1200. Moun10Bike coins are going for over $2000, so I would think this 'Holy Grail' of Geocaching (as it's been called) is worth at least that much, don't you? This way, with even one bid, the value is set at $7500.

But is it even worth it for me to let it go for $100, or $1000? Nope. I have spent several times that amount out of my own pocket to haul it around to Events, showing it to the community, which I can no longer afford to do. Unfortunately, the O.C.B. appearances will be few and far between, from here on out.

If it doesn't sell and you do decide to give it away, you could make it the final prize of some kind of Amazing Geo-Race (like the 50-state multi-cache or similar). Don't leave it in the cache, obviously, but a token of some sort that the FTF of a seriously difficult task would retrieve and present to you for the OCB. Not a solution to the financial problem, obviously, but a way to pass the torch and still be assured that the recipient is both a serious cacher & has the necessary means at their disposal to continue your work with the OCB.

Unfortunately, the true value of such an item is defined by the market, not by your monetary outlay or your personal feelings about it.
And if the market wants to pay $7500 for it, the value will be $7500.
... And that concludes today's ECON 101 class.
Unfortunately, the true value of such an item is defined by the market, not by your monetary outlay or your personal feelings about it.

True, true. Good luck with that.

Thanks, sbell...

Yes, folks, these are the kinds of people that want me to continue to travel around and display the O.C.B. for them...

Just keep on paying for airline tickets and rental cars and hotels to display it for them, because they think, for some reason, I owe them that. :blink:

Talk about trolling.

Edited by TEAM 360
Thanks, sbell...

Yes, folks, these are the kinds of people that want me to continue to travel around and display the O.C.B. for them...

Just keep on paying for airline tickets and rental cars and hotels to display it for them, because they think, for some reason, I owe them that. :blink:

Talk about trolling.

Please point to the trolling? My comment was related to computing market value. I could personally care less one way or the other about whether you sell the item. Every action you have taken related to the item was a decision you made. Don't try to make me responsible for any of them.

I carefully straightened out the metal the best I could, treated it with rust stopper/converter and several coats of UV-resistant polyurethane, and have it displayed in it's glass case, most recently seen at GeoWoodstock4.

I have traveled over 25,000 miles with the Can, to different Events and get-togethers, so that many others could see it.

It sounds like you have put lots of personal time and money into keeping this bit of geocaching history alive and making it available for others to see. I was able to see it at GW4 and while I didn't have an epiphany at the sight of it, it was cool to see something that was actually in the original stash!

I genuinely thank you for doing this for all of us!

But if as you say you are not financially strapped yet can't afford to keep doing this, why not give (or sell for a more reasonable price) the OCB to someone who will carry on the tradition and continue to make the can available for others to see?

Sure, someone could pay $7,500 and do just that, but the price tag and your previous actions with the OCB don't seem to jive.

Just curious, not meant as an indictment.

Edited by nittany dave

Hmm...

So, using that logic, if you start it at the $7500 and there are no bids, does that mean it is worthless?

Hmm...

So, using that logic, if you start it at the $7500 and there are no bids, does that mean it is worthless?

Another lesson in Econ?

Hmm...

No, it just means no one wants to pay what it is really worth.

Hmm...

No, it just means no one wants to pay what it is really worth.

Beer, boats, gold or oil, it's worth exactly and only what someone is willing to pay for it.

Whoa so my truck must be worth like $160,000 now! I better trade that sucker in! But seriously $7500? I mean we all make like $150,000 a year to be geocachers right? I seriously don't think that "dedicated" means you have to pay out the rear for somthing. Just my .02