Omg Look!

I heard that someone was gonna pay over $2K for a Moun10bike coin...I figure this has GOT to be at least double that... LOOK! Clicky-Clicky!

:anicute::P:D:)

:) 7.5k at the moment.

I think that's the reserve.... :D

Oh yeah... I don't frequent eBay. 0 bids.

How do you provide provenance for THAT? :D

Uh, I believe there's video proof of it being dug up and Dave Ulmer verified it on the spot with cameras rolling. Anyone got a link?

Edited by Snoogans

Wow, I remember when he used to carry that thing around in a plastic case. Look at the fancy box he has for it now! No wonder the starting bid is $7500 :lol:

Seriously, sorry to hear you're so insanely rich that you can afford to part with it. Well, maybe the insane part fits ;)

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Hmmmm I personally don't think this should be up for sale. That is part of geocaching history and for someone to make a profit off of it is just plain sickening. I think it should be handed over to someone that wouldn't mind to continue taking it to events for all to enjoy. On that site who knows what hands it will get into and a piece of history will be gone forever. :lol: I am stepping off of my soap box now. ;)

Duane

NOLEFAN9399

Hmmmm I personally don't think this should be up for sale. That is part of geocaching history and for someone to make a profit off of it is just plain sickening. I think it should be handed over to someone that wouldn't mind to continue taking it to events for all to enjoy. On that site who knows what hands it will get into and a piece of history will be gone forever. :lol: I am stepping off of my soap box now. ;)

Duane

NOLEFAN9399

One would have to assume that anyone shelling out $7500 for a rusty can of beans would have to be a geocaching enthusiast. Either that or insane :D

Too bad. It belongs in the geocaching museum.

What geocaching museum?

Actually, and this may sound silly to some, but I think it should go to the Smithsonian. Our game is new and under the radar still, but one day it will be recognized as revolutionary and life-changing for millions of people world-wide.

Anyone interested in banding together, contibute to a reasonable purchase price, and donate it to the Smithsonian? I'll start with $500 contribution.

Ed

Too bad. It belongs in the geocaching museum.

What geocaching museum?

Actually, and this may sound silly to some, but I think it should go to the Smithsonian. Our game is new and under the radar still, but one day it will be recognized as revolutionary and life-changing for millions of people world-wide.

Anyone interested in banding together, contibute to a reasonable purchase price, and donate it to the Smithsonian? I'll start with $500 contribution.

Ed

Naaaaa, call up Frank Garmin & Sam Magellan both and tell 'em that the other guy wants it and start a bidding war. Jeff makes a million bucks and gets outta whatever trouble he's gotten himself into and the bid winner can DONATE it to the Smithsonian for a friggin' HUGE write off. Howz that for a win-win? :lol:

Hmmmm I personally don't think this should be up for sale. That is part of geocaching history and for someone to make a profit off of it is just plain sickening. I think it should be handed over to someone that wouldn't mind to continue taking it to events for all to enjoy. On that site who knows what hands it will get into and a piece of history will be gone forever.

Try and put yourself in the seller's position. Maybe he needs the money really badly.

Look at it this way. Lets say that somebody does buy it for $7,500. That means it is worth $7,500. For the seller to not sell it, he is essentially donating $7,500 to the cause of geo-history.

Are you personally willing to do that? I know that I'm not.

Paul (who's been in massive debt and knows just how much fun it isn't.)

Hmmmm I personally don't think this should be up for sale. That is part of geocaching history and for someone to make a profit off of it is just plain sickening. I think it should be handed over to someone that wouldn't mind to continue taking it to events for all to enjoy. On that site who knows what hands it will get into and a piece of history will be gone forever.

I'll admit I haven't been at this very long, less than a year so far. But, already, I've heard from several people about how well he has preserved the O.C.B., how he travels around to events all over to let others find the O.C.B., how he has "done his part" to preserve the history of geocaching. Personally, I'm more concerned about what could lead him to need to sell this, since I'm certain it wasn't an easy decision. Hopefully whatever is the problem works out in the best possible way for you - and if that means that we lose the O.C.B., I'd rather we keep the cacher who cares enough about the sport to have protected it this long. Good Luck.

no offense to 360 intended here, I have a great deal of respect for all he's done for the sport, but $7500? You are asking the same price for a can of beans that I paid for my pickup!

However if it was in my possesion and I found out I could get that much for it well.....you'd all be screaming at me then because I'd do the same thing!

It's in his possession now, deal with it people, there's nothing you can do about it, this isn't like a geocoin thats been stolen and placed on ebay, he IS the owner of it, as such he's free to do as he pleases with it.

no offense to 360 intended here, I have a great deal of respect for all he's done for the sport, but $7500? You are asking the same price for a can of beans that I paid for my pickup!

However if it was in my possesion and I found out I could get that much for it well.....you'd all be screaming at me then because I'd do the same thing!

It's in his possession now, deal with it people, there's nothing you can do about it, this isn't like a geocoin thats been stolen and placed on ebay, he IS the owner of it, as such he's free to do as he pleases with it.

Anyone have Sam Garmin or Frank Magellan's number? I'll call 'em. :lol:

I say more power to him. I would be interested in hearing it's history from the original stash to ending up in the hands of 360, for no other reason than curiosity.

Dave Ulmer placed it into the Original Stash. The lid of the bucket was damaged by a passing Oregon road crew mower, and the bucket quickly filled with rain. After only a few finds, Dave pulled the bucket out of the ground and dumped the rainwater back into the hole, and the Can of Beans went with it...

Fast forward to Sept 2003: I arrived in Portland to cement the Original Stash Tribute Plaque into place, and met Dave Ulmer at the site (I had invited him out for the 'ceremony'). While removing the dirt from the almost-filled hole left by the bucket, I dug up the Can. Another cacher, RomadPilot, just happened to be running video at the time, and we caught the whole episode, with Dave verifying on-camera that it was indeed the Original Can of Beans. This video was posted on PDXGeocaching.com at one time, and I do have a copy of it on my computer. Several other cachers were there at that time, including Makaio, a local cacher who was one of the few to actually find the O.C.B. still in the Original Stash, before Dave pulled it.

I asked Dave if he would like to have the Can back, but he told me to go ahead and keep it.

I carefully straightened out the metal the best I could, treated it with rust stopper/converter and several coats of UV-resistant polyurethane, and have it displayed in it's glass case, most recently seen at GeoWoodstock4.

I have traveled over 25,000 miles with the Can, to different Events and get-togethers, so that many others could see it.

I have met team 360, and seen the O.C.B., heck he is the one that told me the story behind it and how geocaching got started. I do not know nor do I want to know the reasons behind his decision. He has done alot to help preserve the history and further this hobby/sport/addiction. I am sure he know what he is doing and just for once I think it would be nice to support someone instead of roast them on a spit in the forums. He has made the decision for some reason to do this, I can not and will not judge him for it. I do have some feeling about this but will not go on public record with them. I will just say that I hope whatever problems he is haveing will work out in the end for him. Over in the off topic a young geocacher died, and lots of people changed there avatar for him out of tribute. I never heard of him before, never met him, and yet I changed mine for a few weeks for him. We can bicker and argue over micros in the woods, the numbers game, the mods, whatever but I had a beliefe that we were some kind of family. I have an open invetation to join several people in various states and countries to go out caching with them if I am ever in there area, as they do with me. I am not sure but I think somewhere we may have lost sight of this, I don't know. If I was going to your town and asked you to show me some good caches would you? I would, I love meeting others that enjoy this as much as I do, that could be why we have events. So again I ask please just this once don't judge. I know we all want to know why he is doing this, but I am not going to push for an explination I don't need. Without him we may have never gotten to see the Original Can of Beans.

I say more power to him. I would be interested in hearing it's history from the original stash to ending up in the hands of 360, for no other reason than curiosity.

Dave Ulmer placed it into the Original Stash. The lid of the bucket was damaged by a passing Oregon road crew mower, and the bucket quickly filled with rain. After only a few finds, Dave pulled the bucket out of the ground and dumped the rainwater back into the hole, and the Can of Beans went with it...

Fast forward to Sept 2003: I arrived in Portland to cement the Original Stash Tribute Plaque into place, and met Dave Ulmer at the site (I had invited him out for the 'ceremony'). While removing the dirt from the almost-filled hole left by the bucket, I dug up the Can. Another cacher, RomadPilot, just happened to be running video at the time, and we caught the whole episode, with Dave verifying on-camera that it was indeed the Original Can of Beans. This video was posted on PDXGeocaching.com at one time, and I do have a copy of it on my computer. Several other cachers were there at that time, including Makaio, a local cacher who was one of the few to actually find the O.C.B. still in the Original Stash, before Dave pulled it.

I asked Dave if he would like to have the Can back, but he told me to go ahead and keep it.

I carefully straightened out the metal the best I could, treated it with rust stopper/converter and several coats of UV-resistant polyurethane, and have it displayed in it's glass case, most recently seen at GeoWoodstock4.

I have traveled over 25,000 miles with the Can, to different Events and get-togethers, so that many others could see it.

Thanks for the history lesson, good luck finding a buyer.

Cool story. Today's Cacher will give you 1k for it.

El Diablo

Anyone have Sam Garmin or Frank Magellan's number? I'll call 'em. :lol:

867-5309 ;)

Anyone have Sam Garmin or Frank Magellan's number? I'll call 'em. ;)

867-5309 :D

Uh, that's Jenny's number..... :lol:

I have met team 360, and seen the O.C.B., heck he is the one that told me the story behind it and how geocaching got started. I do not know nor do I want to know the reasons behind his decision. He has done alot to help preserve the history and further this hobby/sport/addiction. I am sure he know what he is doing and just for once I think it would be nice to support someone instead of roast them on a spit in the forums. He has made the decision for some reason to do this, I can not and will not judge him for it. I do have some feeling about this but will not go on public record with them. I will just say that I hope whatever problems he is haveing will work out in the end for him. Over in the off topic a young geocacher died, and lots of people changed there avatar for him out of tribute. I never heard of him before, never met him, and yet I changed mine for a few weeks for him. We can bicker and argue over micros in the woods, the numbers game, the mods, whatever but I had a beliefe that we were some kind of family. I have an open invetation to join several people in various states and countries to go out caching with them if I am ever in there area, as they do with me. I am not sure but I think somewhere we may have lost sight of this, I don't know. If I was going to your town and asked you to show me some good caches would you? I would, I love meeting others that enjoy this as much as I do, that could be why we have events. So again I ask please just this once don't judge. I know we all want to know why he is doing this, but I am not going to push for an explination I don't need. Without him we may have never gotten to see the Original Can of Beans.

If the current owner wishes to sell the can of beans, I fully support him in his decision. Not sure why some few folks are getting bent out of shape. If you are that bent out of shape about it, put your money where your mouth is, or let go of the whole thing and move on.

Thanks for the story! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do with the can! Sounds like you have given it a lot of loving care over the years!

Opinions suck sometimes. I am no different from anyone else on that. I on the other hand didn't mean to offend anyone with my rant. Team360 if I offended you I am sorry. I just hate seeing a great part of geocaching history get into the hands of someone else other than die hard geocachers. As with many I have seen the video but didn't know the whole story. I am now further edumacated on this history. As far as being a family here I agree with that and I love to meet as many cachers as possible, so discouraging words might not have been the way to go.....group hug??? :lol:;)

Duane

NOLEFAN9399

Opinions suck sometimes. I am no different from anyone else on that. I on the other hand didn't mean to offend anyone with my rant. Team360 if I offended you I am sorry. I just hate seeing a great part of geocaching history get into the hands of someone else other than die hard geocachers. As with many I have seen the video but didn't know the whole story. I am now further edumacated on this history. As far as being a family here I agree with that and I love to meet as many cachers as possible, so discouraging words might not have been the way to go.....group hug??? :lol:;)

Duane

NOLEFAN9399

I think many of us share same sedments with you. I posted the way I did because I did not want to see this thread spin down that malicious cylce like so many others. Like I said I got to hear the history from the man himself, and know what he did for the sport. I don't think you really offended anyone. Also, I think at that price it should be in good hands, and hopefully someone dedicated as 360 to the sport. I agree group hug.

I just hate seeing a great part of geocaching history get into the hands of someone else other than die hard geocachers.

I have the feeling that anyone who would fork over $7,500 for a rusty can of what used to be beans just because it was part of the original stash would have to be a "die hard geocacher". One with a lot of bucks lying around, too; or a new FEMA charge card! :lol:

am i stupid, or is someone trying to sell an old can of beans for $7500. are there even beans still in the can?

was the can its self the cache, or somthing that was in the first cache?, cause I have a 5 year old mc toy i found in a cache, is that worth anything?

I posted the way I did because I did not want to see this thread spin down that malicious cylce like so many others.

This....Light your torches and grab your pitchforks!..... was my light hearted commentary on recent trends. :D It was a eye catcher though. Got the thread 500 reads in just over 2 hours. Just a hint of tire smoke and crunching metal......... ;):lol: