Ways To Lock Ammo Cans

I was in need of a similar solution - I wanted to lock a cache, make it waterproof, and be able to camoflauge it. I never got ahold of an ammo can, but I used this instead:

B000BH5IYA.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

They are awsome, totally waterproof, easily camaflauged, and come in a gajillion differant sizes and shapes. Plus, they often have a clear lid so you don't run into the whole bomb squad problem.

They are easy to lock, just slip the lock in the tab after you latch it down.

Just a thought.

They are just Kitchen canisters. You can get them at Wal-Mart or Target, or really just about anywhere. They come in a variety of materials, and have a rubber gasket that keeps the canister air-tight. They often come in sets of 3 differant sizes.

I was in need of a similar solution - I wanted to lock a cache, make it waterproof, and be able to camoflauge it. I never got ahold of an ammo can, but I used this instead:

They are awsome, totally waterproof, easily camaflauged, and come in a gajillion differant sizes and shapes. Plus, they often have a clear lid so you don't run into the whole bomb squad problem.

Just a thought.

Unless the gasket is way better than the standard "kitchen storage jar" (of similar aspect), it will deteriorate in about a year, and leak. Placing it top-down will minimize water entry, but perhaps other things will still get in?

1) I dont agree with locking caches... defeats the point. Id be P.O.ed to find a cache after an hour of searching only to discover it locked.

2) Ammo cans have rubber gaskets and seal very well. Its all you really need. Worse case, ebay has them.

I asked this earlier in the thread, but no one answered...

What is the purpose of locking the cache? And if it's locked, how would someone be able to get anything out of it?

Just a thought.

Unless the gasket is way better than the standard "kitchen storage jar" (of similar aspect), it will deteriorate in about a year, and leak. Placing it top-down will minimize water entry, but perhaps other things will still get in?

hi ! Matt here from bournesniffy! just rleased a cache that is lockable!! hee hee haaa(evil laff) It has 6 combination locks on it !!!! find six other caches and crack the codes inside the caches to work out location and combinations of the locks! ganna drive ppl bonkers ! some of the codes not easy !!! there is a simple addition to regular small ammo box to lock it will track down piccy and sen it to you !!!

see you round the other side !!!!

Matt

hi ! Matt here from bournesniffy! just rleased a cache that is lockable!! hee hee haaa(evil laff) It has 6 combination locks on it !!!! find six other caches and crack the codes inside the caches to work out location and combinations of the locks! ganna drive ppl bonkers ! some of the codes not easy !!! there is a simple addition to regular small ammo box to lock it will track down piccy and sen it to you !!!

see you round the other side !!!!

Matt

try this http://dccobb.f2s.com/ebay/cachelockable1.jpg (brother had piccy) Edited by BourneSniffy

Yep, I have two caches with ammo cans that are locked. I used the bracket lock mentioned previously on one, and for the other, I just bought a cable, fed it through the hole in the handle and looped it on both ends, locking the ends together. With the second method, it costs about $1 (plus the lock) but you have to be careful with the length, or someone can get it open enough to squeeze their grubby little fingers in it.

The bracket lock works better, but the little round piece that fits through the hole is easily lost if it's dropped. And it's more expensive.

As for the point? Well, the first one is a series where they have to find 3 caches to get the combination to the final, and the second one is part of a puzzle cache.

F.Y.I. Locking and securing an ammo can won't stop it from being muggled.

Tommy Trojan does those exact thing and his get stolen quite often.

Personally I don't an opinion on wether to lock one or not just wanted to let you know of another's problem with them.

F.Y.I. Locking and securing an ammo can won't stop it from being muggled.

Tommy Trojan does those exact thing and his get stolen quite often.

Personally I don't an opinion on wether to lock one or not just wanted to let you know of another's problem with them.

I agree. I think it might actually increast the chance of it being stolen. Someone finds an ammo box, opens it up and finds out what it is, there is a good chance he will put it back. Put a lock on it and I think nearly anyone with a little curiousity will take it home and do whatever it takes to get inside.

Now locking it as part of a puzzle can make for a fun cache.

Anyway, here is how I locked one of mine. I used an eye bolt, two nuts, two flat, rubber washers and two metal washers.

5c89f66f-b3bd-463f-ad5e-5eb587eabb8e.jpg

5de8a3cf-1927-4c1f-af9a-47cd1c615a48.jpg

1) I dont agree with locking caches... defeats the point. Id be P.O.ed to find a cache after an hour of searching only to discover it locked.

2) Ammo cans have rubber gaskets and seal very well. Its all you really need. Worse case, ebay has them.

I asked this earlier in the thread, but no one answered...

What is the purpose of locking the cache? And if it's locked, how would someone be able to get anything out of it?

I had one that was locekd and part of a larger puzzle cache. you got the numbers throughout the journey to open it.

I have a locked cache. I think they do have their place. Mine is a multi where you find the micro that contains a key and coordinates to a "utility" box on a pole that is locked. Good chance of muggles in the area but being a box on a pole they just ignore it. It makes a very good size cache so there is lots of room for swag.

Kevin

I am not locking my ammo can to be mean, I am locking it for a puzzle cache. The lock might be a key lock or a combination lock that the cachers have to solve the puzzle to get the combination to open the cache. It has nothing to do about waterproofing the cache.

We have done 2 caches that were locked. One was a multi-Puzzle cache, in which you had to journey to differnt historic placards and get numbers for the combination, the other was one where it had a key lock on it and the key was a TB and there was also a CD that had pictures on it that had the actual coords hidden in the pictures that was also a TB. You had to find both TB's to get the coords and the key then head out to find the cache. Both caches were very cool and were placed in areas that a lockable container would not likely be muggled. Both caches were very well done and were very enjoyable.

I have a multi stage/stand alone cache that has a lock... It is located in plain sight.. Mounted on a pole about 3 foot off the ground. You can drive to about 5 feet away from it. It even has panted on it " Yes I am a Geocache". It has a combo lock located on it. You must find 3 other caches to find the combo (yes it is listed on the Cache page that you must do it) Check it out.. the name of the cache is the Cajun Fire Drill (GCTMHV).

Good Caching!

I'm currently planning a cache that would be located in plain site inside a small business. It will have a lock on it so that it can't be muggled in the store. Plus it will be a 50 cal can so it will be very hard for someone to pick it up and walk out with it. The visitor will have to answer questions inside the business to get the combination to the box. Will be very well stocked as well!