Looking For A "trainer"

DannyDog

Welcome Danny Dog. Firstly make sure that your GPS is set up correctly. GPS units are usually set up with, and you should be showing:

Map Data as WGS 84

Position Format as hddd mm.mmm'

When choosing a cache try to keep it relatively easy in both terrain and difficulty. Stay away from micro and even small containers as they can be difficult to spot at first. If possible try to choose a spot that doesn't have a lot of people around (muggles) since they can be distracting to your search. Most geocachers upon reaching the close proximity of the cache will actually put the GPS away and rely on their eyes and geo-sense. Look for something unusual or not normally found in nature, ie. piles of sticks or rocks. Sometimes even the best need to spend a little timereally scouring the general area, and remember that the cache is probably not exactly where your "Zero" reading is.

Someone in your area may be able to take you on a hunt or two. Right now you don't indicate where you live. Good luck and Happy Caching.

I’m new to Geocaching and was hoping to find someone to give me a hand in finding some caches. So far I’m 0 for 2 :lol: . I will try me third one tonight after work, so hopefully I’ll find this one.

Any advice for a newbie?

I googled Hamilton, VA, there are three....don't know which one you're near. Anyway, if you want to drive to ocean city Maryland this weekend, you're welcome to join us at this caching event, Beach Bonfire! There will be plenty of cachers there to help you out.

The other things I would add are:

Either print out the cache listing page or make copious notes of all the important details from it: cache name, waypoint id (gcxxxx), coordinates, difficulty rating (1-5 stars), terrain rating (1-5 stars), cache type (traditional, multi, puzzle/unknown, etc.), cache size (micro, small, regular, large, etc.), type of cache container if mentioned (ammo can, tupperware, 35mm film can, etc.), description (including notes about the area), decode the hint, and read through the logs of other cachers to see if they provide any other useful info, looking at the pictures uploaded by previous cachers can help as well

It's also a good idea to look for caches which have been found recently by other cachers, since it is more likely that they're still there, after all caches do go missing!

Also, don't be afraid to look at the various mapping resources available on the site, Google Maps in the hybrid map / satellite mode are ususally the most useful for me, but MapPoint (really Windows Live Local now) in the bird's eye view mode can be helpful in urban areas.

Finally, don't be a afraid to log a 'Did not find' (DNF) on a cache where you've gone out and not been able to find it. Sometimes the cache owner will provide those who log a DNF with an additional hint which might be just what you need to go back and find it, and other times (especially if several different people log DNFs) it will prompt them to verify that the cache is still in the intended location and hasn't gone missing!